“Pool doesn't open until 9 AM”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Azle, Texas
“Pool doesn't open until 9 AM”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

When we have had, or plan, a long day of driving we go out of our way to swim.
What is the point of not opening the pool until 9 AM? They open the Fitness Center machines at 5:30 AM. (It’s the same at the East HI Express, near the Airport). I asked the Manager, Varun Chitkara, who kindly listened. Otherwise, a very nice hotel
but will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West. I was a little surprised at some of the sanitation issues I found while staying. I am not a germ-a-phobe, but the little things at least have to be done correctly. First, the TV in the bathroom. Grand idea until you grab the remote. Why would you have a tv in the bathroom in a public establishment?? A little different if it was my own home, but how many people have grabbed this remote while in the bathroom?? second, the work out room. I dropped in early to work out and there was a guy running on the treadmill and then moved to the workout equipment...sweating profusely. I started looking for wipes to wipe down the treadmill...hmmm...nothing there. I went ahead and just bypassed the workout and jogged around the ATMOS center to get my run in. Third, then I go to breakfast. I go to find a table and the lady wipes down a table (which I appreciate), but the rag smells soured and it was never wiped dry. So, I have dryed up rag water on my table prior to setting down my plate. I am not sure what "they are thinking?" at this hotel. The hotel is nice and new and has the bells and whistles...but, the details of cleanliness will set you over the top. I would pass on this hotel. They are just not up to the cleanliness needed in today's world.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
holiday3050, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear SuperJoe123171,

Thank You for reviewing us and bringing your concerns to our attention.I would like to take the opportunity to apologize about your experience in our breakfast area.I can assure you that our breakfast host go through intense training and the situation you experienced was one off mistake.

You have also mentioned about the TV in the bathroom and you were concerned about the remotes. Please be assured that our hotel has a sanitation program for the remotes in the bathroom where every housekeeper sanitizes the remote daily. I can assure you that the program is strictly enforced daily. In regards to your experience in our Gym, I am sorry but you may have overlooked the gym wipes at the entryway of our gym. We have now relocated the wipes centraly so that they are more visible.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention as every guest experience is very important to our hotel.

Varun Chitkara
Director Of Operations
Garden City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This hotel has a great breakfast room with good food and the service is great. The rooms are very nice. The employes make you feel like they know you as soon as you walk threw the door and are very nice people. this is the nicest hotel i have stayed in all over the United States.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great with good beds.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rusty G
Deton, tx
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I was really suprised at the level of amenities in this hotel. The lobby is very nice and modern. The elevator only allows access to the upper floors with a swipe of the room key card. Touch the key card to the door reader and it unlocks without having to swipe it. The room has a very nice large screen TV and a smaller flat screen in the batch. Plenty of outlets are available for charging tablets, phones, etc. Great king size bed, work table with rollers to allow you to position it whereever you desire in the room. Adjustable task chair, as well. Very clean and comfortable. Near shopping and restaurants. I'll definitely stay here on my next trip through Amarillo.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tcs6
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I travel all over the United States and this has been the best stay, No one at any other of the motels has welcomed my company or co workers like these people have . It is cream of the crop. #1 in my books.

4 Thank Ryan A
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 11 September 2012

ive traveled alot in the last 9 years different motel chains, alot with holiday inn express .the people @ this holiday inn express are the best ive ever seen , they greet you with a smile and how was your trip!! varun the director is a great guy he bought us pizza twice since we have been here ,ive never had any motel staff do anything like that . he makes you feel like family and goes out of his way to make sure your stay is a pleasure. journi and leena also are real down to earth staff like varun they do what is in there power to make you feel comfortable ,in a nut shell this is the best hotel of any chain ive ever stayed in!! if you are passing through amarillo stay with them you wont regret it, i will miss the hospitality here maybe this customer service idea they have will get around to other hotels

3 Thank hoy52
Arlington Heights
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Wow, this is a Holiday Inn. Great value, just gorgeous! Wish I could've stayed longer. Highly recommended. Note: If traveling westbound on I-40, the Cadillac Ranch (Ant Farm) is on the left shortly after entrance ramp.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family