“Not bad, but room for improvement”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Fort Worth, Texas
“Not bad, but room for improvement”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This Holiday Inn Express on the west side of Amarillo is relatively new. We had a room with two double beds. It had a good-sized closet and dresser, two TVs (one in the bathroom!), a hair dryer, an iron and ironing board, and a kitchenette containing a small refrigerator and microwave oven, a sink, some cabinets, and a coffee maker. There was an ethernet connection in addition to the free wi-fi. The beds were large and very firm. (A little too firm.) The room was quiet. We didn't experience any noise problems.

The bathroom was larger than usual with a large sink and plenty of counter space, which was nice. Unfortunately they didn't take advantage of the space to install a large soaking tub. Instead, the tub was low and narrow, causing me to bash my arm into the wall if I didn't stand at an angle. The shower curtain did not give adequate coverage, so the floor tended to get wet. The water pressure in the shower was kind of low, but there was plenty of hot water and the temperature control was good. The shelves holding the bath towels were so far away from the tub that we couldn't reach them from the tub, so we had to either plan ahead and hang a towel next to the tub or walk across the floor dripping wet to get one. There was no hook on the back of the bathroom door for hanging robes or pajamas like I've come to expect in most Holiday Inns. (I had to use the hook next to the tub for the towel.) I didn't much care for the small, thin bath towels.

This hotel has free breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee) and free Happy Hour food. The lobby is very pretty. Service was good. We would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
USA
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Good location off I40, numerous eating establishments within 1 mile. Larger than normal breakfast area, standard HIE breakfast. Room was a little tight with 3 adults and 2 queen beds. By the 'kitchenette' we had to strategically move ourselves in order to pass each other. BUT, there was a TV in the bathroom! Friendly reception but a little longer than normal - their telephone never stops ringing. We did forget one toothbrush and it was requested and brought to our room in a very timely manner. A good stay and very reasonably priced. I especially liked their 'out of the box' carpeting and decor - very ultramodern.

Green Features: I do believe in recycling your towel - it can be used twice but I would recommend you put more hanging pegs in the bathroom for towels.
Dalhart, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Decided to take my daughters to the movies in Amarillo, Texas, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express West next to the UA Cinema. This hotel location is wonderful, it is walking distance to restaurants and of course the theater. The hotel itself is new and very nice. The swimming pool was great and the atmosphere was wonderful. The staff went above and beyond with us, they were really friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor across from the swimming pool and it was surprisingly quiet.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Amarillo West Holiday Inn Express and Suites last night because of their great reviews on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed...this hotel is incredible. Booked on short notice, we got a king bed, non-smoking room for a great price. The room was perfect, looked brand new, was extremely clean, had everything and then some; even a flat screen tv with remote in the large and luxurious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable as were the three chairs in the room. The bedroom flat screen tv was large and very nice. There was a mini kitchen area in the room with microwave, large bar type refrigerator, coffee/tea making equipment, sink, nice cupboards and ample counter space. Didn't use the hotel wifi as I had my Verizon Mifi with me; but, everything about this hotel was perfect so I imagine that was too.

All staff that we encountered were very nice, friendly and helpful. We got in late at night and found good parking and checkin was a snap.

Breakfast was awesome! I stay in a lot of hotels and this was the best breakfast ever. They had everything you could want, scrambled eggs with melted cheddar cheese, biscuits and incredible sausage gravy, bacon, link sausage and a machine that made pancakes. Bread, biscuits, bagels, English muffins and assorted pastries, as well as their excellent signature cinnamon rolls, yum! Great coffee, great orange juice as well as an assortment of other drinks. Yogurt and a big bowl of fresh, seasonal fruit. So much! I'm sure I've forgotten something, there was so much - a major feast!

If you find yourself in Amarillo I whole-heartedly recommend the Amarillo West Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Absolutely no complaints here. We stop in Amarillo twice a year. Our previous hotel of choice had gone downhill a bit and figured I would try this place out. It is about 18 months old and perfectly reflects the new and improved Holiday Inn Express package. The place is nicely decorated, the rooms very well equipped and arranged. We don't eat in the breakfast areas, but this one looked very nice and spacious. The staff interaction was flawless. The only negative I can come up with is either the water is very hard in Amarillo or the soap is deficient. I could just not get a bar to lather up in the shower. Ended up washing myself with the shampoo in the morning. We will very definitely stay here again if they keep the prices in line with the plentiful competition in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Silverthorne, Colorado
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Hats off to Varun Chitkara, Director of Operations and the entire staff of this wonderful hotel. I have stayed at this hotel since they opened on many occasions and continue to return because of the exceptional service, cleanliness and comfort of this hotel. This is by far my husband and my favorite Holiday Inn Express and Suites anywhere. We are always warmly greeted before we even reach the front desk and the staff is most accommodating (allowing early check in when possible). The rooms are nicely decorated in warm colors and the beds are always comfortable; a gem of a find in Amarillo.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We've stayed in Amarillo so many times over the years that we've completely lost count. Our "standard" property that we've enjoyed often had become a bit dated, so we tried another property on this trip.

The very new Holiday Inn Express & Suites West (make sure this is the HIE you want as there is another in town as well) has four floors and two elevators, with security cards to run the elevators. The public area is modern and upscale, and has a waterfall in the lobby.

The check-in process was smooth, and we were assigned a room that exactly matched our online reservation.

Our large, upscale room was very well decorated, and VERY bright with lots of lights, and plenty of plugs to recharge our mobile devices. It even had a TV in the bathroom as well as in living area.

Breakfast included an abundant variety of options, and the area was kept clean and well stocked.

The hotel has easy access from I-40 and Loop 335, but is far enough away so that we experienced no road noise. It also convenient to the many medical facilities nearby.

We've made a note to return to our new "standard" stopover in Amarillo.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple