“Undesirable”

Ranked #7 of 13 Amarillo B&B and Inns
Mesa, Arizona
“Undesirable”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This was one of the few places in Amarillo (for some strange reason) that had a room available on a Fri nite. The cashier was in a room with a walkup window like at a currency exchange (the doors to lobby were locked. Very seedy looking people hanging around. This was around 10:15PM and the closest descent hotel/motel was 40 miles away. I was driving since 8:00AM and couldn't continue. I carried my gun and my wife and I slept on top of spread and in our street clothes as I slept with my gun under me. Around 12:15AM my wife woke me and said softly, the roof is leaking. Sure enough it was, right on her bed. I got up, tried to push her bed over to miss the trickle, no luck. I instead lifted the bed and moved it. To my surprise (not really), the bed legs were in deep depressions in the carpet and under the bed the only thing we didn't find were used condoms. This room probably never had the beds moved to clean the carpets. In all a very disgusting place.

Room Tip: Stay at well known named hotel/motels and make sure when in Texas you carry bug spray, disinfectant...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was the only place in the immediate area, all name brands were full. Place looked very seedy, watched every motion I saw. Room was poor, roof leaked when a storm came. The leak was right over the bed. Moved bed to an area without a leak and it looked like under the bed hadn't been cleaned in years or longer. Place smelled in corridor, ice machine didn't work and very noisy in halls. No breakfast available. Amarillo itself was overall a bad place, a restaurant that seemed very popular was over poor in service and took too long to get order taken and then get meal which came wrong, and a gas station in area didn't have working pumps for credit cards, and I watched everything around me.

Room Tip: Stay only at a brand name location and only on I-40.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank wbpWheeling_IL

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

eugene or
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This old motel is a ghost of better times. It is a fairly large property, probably had a heyday of 1960's era, maybe some late 50's. I would love to know the history of the property. Today it is cheap, ugly, questionable in the cleanliness. There are signs of remodeling – meaning piles of remodeling stuff laying around the property. The managers are family run Indian with typical language challenge, but friendly and helpful enough. The marquee said “pool and ESPNU” - neither of which was available. The former swimming pool and hot tub area is empty, neglected and a receptacle for some kind of trash. The room itself was on the large side, but had a dark feeling, several light switches etc did not work. The hallways are remarkably dark – long, winding and dark. Looks like a perfect set for a scarey movie. Overall except for the sentimentality of better times on Route 66, I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business