“Past reviews were right, this is a nice property”

Super 8 Amarillo Central TX
Ranked #42 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 29 November 2009

After 14 days on the road we know what clean and fresh really means. This place was really nice and it was just as past reviews advertised....great place at a great price in a central part of Amarillo. The staff was quite helpful and very courteous, and the lobby smelled like a new property. The room we had was quite comfortable and everything was in good shape. The staff let me use one of their computer cables as the facility uses a network connection. I had forgotten to bring one.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill D47

Reviewed 7 September 2009

Hotel next door - almost attached should be demolished. Strange people wandering the premises, some asking for money. Our room DID NOT have a window?! A/C recirculated air from hallway (hotel looked like it had been remodeled to create interior corridors). Remodel of bathroom didn't include new tub (with mold in seams), didn't include new toilet (with hole in lid) and didn't include new sink (with damaged enamel), but had new granite counter.?? My advise, if you HAVE to stay in Amarillo - don't stay here!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elaine1995
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Obviously there's no place like home, but this is a great stop over hotel when traveling or staying in Amarillo. Simply put the staff are friendly (especially the manager) and beyond helpful. The price is more than affordable and our room was cool, quiet and clean. They get a "thumbs up" for excellent beds, very comfortable. We normally stay at another hotel close by and have for years, but luckily for us this time around no room availability by chance led us here. As I told the manager as we checked out, we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

I'm scratching my head as to how this hotel gets 4- and 5-star reviews. It's a roadside motel, and quite appropriately it is only a 1-star hotel. It is what it is, and I'm not complaining about that, but 4-/5-star reviews? Please!

My initial choice for roadside motels was Motel 6. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I've found Super 8 motels to be comparably priced as Motel 6, but with better amenities. Past Super 8s that I've stayed at were quite nice actually... some rooms came with coffee table, couch, fridge, desk, and marble counter top bathrooms.

Unfortunately I can't laud this Amarillo hotel. To put it simply, it was pretty shabby. Dark dingy rooms, poor lighting, persistent mustiness, stained towels and bedsheets, a couple of roach sightings, cramped bathroom, and cheap tacky aluminum dressers, tables, chairs, and headboards made to appear like wood... sorry, but this seems well below Super 8 standards.

Since I was only here for a couple of nights, I can't totally bash it because I expected and got what I paid for. Free, high speed wifi internet and breakfast were a great bonus. Like I said, it is what it is. Don't over glorify it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank TheAnswer
Reviewed 16 May 2009

This was a nice super 8 located just off the interstate a few miles from the Big Texan Steak House, the room was fairly spacious and clean, breakfast was decent also with waffles and bagels. The location was great if you are just having a couple of nights here. Wal-Mart was conveniently just across the motorway so you can re-stock on supplies. The area seemed safe however if you are looking for something located closer to downtown / nightlife then maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We were driving from Phoenix, AZ to Wichita, KS and just needed a clean and affordable stop which the Super 8 Central provided. The desk agent was friendly and the room was clean with wireless internet and a refrigerator. Most Super 8's I'm familiar with say that breakfast starts at 6:30am but they actually set it up earlier. We left at 5:30am and there was no breakfast, but we cannot really complain about the hotel complying with its own stated policy. For traveler's passing through, it is a great deal.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Traveler99KansasCity
Reviewed 27 July 2008

On a recent road-trip to California I found myself looking for the diamond-in-the-rough sort of hotel: a place I could rest where I felt comfortable but that stayed within my budget. The Super 8 Central Texas was exactly what I wanted.

There are some minor cosmetic flaws...some peeling paint, a cracked tile, old furniture...but it was kept very clean and well-stocked. There were some additional amenities I hadn't been expecting, as well, including a microwave and refrigerator, which both came in handy on our trip. The walls were a little thin, but it wasn't enough to keep us awake.

In the morning breakfast was small but fresh, and the staff was exceptionally polite. Check-out went as smoothly as check-in, and we were on our way feeling very rested and refreshed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 30Gauge