“Avoid this motel. It is a rebranded Motel 6 with no maintenance.”

Americas Best Value Inn- Amarillo Airport/Grand Street
Ranked #46 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Georgetown, Texas
“Avoid this motel. It is a rebranded Motel 6 with no maintenance.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

This is a rebranded Motel 6 with no maintenance. This is what you get when you take a downgraded Motel 6, use their furniture and bedding, and don't update or even maintain the property. I had 2 rooms reserved thru the 800 number. When we checked in, the clerk could only find 1 reservation. After checking, she said they had received 2 but "someone" thought it was a duplicate even though 1 room was for a double bed and 1 was for a single bed. They had rooms, however, but the place is junk. Here a few of the problems I encountered.
1 set of towels in the bathroom even though there were 2 beds and 2 guests.
Bathroom exhaust fan not working.
No way to adjust the direction of the a/c right next to one bed, so it blew directly on the sleeper.
Matress was lumpy and apparently left over from Motel 6 days.
Strong smell of disinfectent in the room.
Although room appeared to be clear, the bathroom fixtures and ceiling needed attention.
Pool outside dirty and smelled... I think a carp would die in it.
To end this stay, we were promised coffee at 6 am. When we left at 6:55, the office door was locked with no coffee.
The american best value report showed this motel had the very highest rating... wonder who paid off the instpector,
If this is america best value quality, I will never stay in another and I will call hq and let them know.
BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE.

Room Tip: Don;t stay here ever.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kruemcke
Al P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Amarillo Airport/Grand Street, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
My name is Al Patel; I am the manager of the Americas Best Value Inn that you stayed at in Amarillo. I am sorry that you did not have a good stay with us. Yes, this is a rebranded Motel 6, and we are doing everything we can to get the hotel to have a different feel than Motel 6. We have completed granite vanities in the rooms with new faucets and sinks so I am surprised that you mentioned it. We have received nothing but positive feedback on our improvements to the property. As with any kind of updating it takes time especially when you have a multitude of daily factors to contend with. We are still open for business as we are renovating. The pool is seasonal, and not open in the winter. Our rooms are small and clean as you mentioned. Due to lack of counter space we can’t provide coffee makers and radio clocks. However, If requested we would have placed you in a room with a microwave and a fridge. We do keep the office locked in the morning till 7:30 AM but the coffee is placed out in the vending area at 6:00 AM, I am sorry that you did not get a cup. We are also in the process of renovating our vending area to include a breakfast. Please know that we are working very hard to get things were they need to be and appreciate your feedback and your patience. We hope that you will give us another chance and see all that we have done

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Monterey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

I'm not sure why this is listed as a hotel, it's a motel (if that ~ more like a half way house.) Absolutely filthy. Serious mold issues in the bathrooms, holes in the sheets, scarey neighborhood and more. You get one towel each, a mixed breed bath/hand towel and bar of soap although we were fortunate enough to get an extra USED towel left hanging wet behind the door from the previous victim! The breakfast that was included was NOT the morning of our stay for "someone" didn't show up for work. Their reccomendation that we seek dinner at the neighboring "Waffle House" resulted in our shooting some incredible videos on our Iphone of the cockroaches crawling along the walls next to our table. There's a sign in the lobby window that says "Absolutely no refunds so you're welcome to look at the room first!" I will pay MUCH more attention to such signs next time.
If this is America's "BEST", this country is hopeless!!! This chain should either revisit it's name or visit one of it's establishments!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank FromOurManagement

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Stayed for a night on my way to California. Nobody wants to be in Amarillo Texas, so I just needed a place to sleep for the night. While the motel itself was passable, I was very sketched out by the area and activity going on around the motel. Very shady people coming and going all night, I brought everything into the room because I was very concerned that my car would get broken into. The room itself was decent for 45 bucks, and was clean enough. Looked like a new bathroom had recently been installed and the shower was hot. Bed was uncomfortable and the walls were very thin-the room next to mine had people banging on the walls all night. I honestly didn't sleep much because I was so concerned about my car getting broken into, but everything was fine so I was probably being a little paranoid. All in all, I would recommend this motel if you just need a place to sleep for the night on the cheap. I would tell families and solo female travelers to find somewhere in a better part of town.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Grieves87
Al P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Amarillo Airport/Grand Street, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a response to Trip Advisor. The hotel is undergoing renovations, I was happy to see that you got one of those rooms and you were pleased with it. As with all renovation work, it takes time and we just got in new king size beds in some of our rooms. As to your concern on the area, this hotel is in a safe part of town and we have the local police department coming every night making rounds to make sure that everything is ok, and as you stated your car was fine in the morning. As in any hotel you stay in if you hear people outside or next door that are not letting you sleep please call the front desk, that is the only way we can address the issue. I hope that you will come back and see all that we have continued to do to the property. Thank you..
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I have stayed here several times and every time has been great. Staff is always nice, rooms always clean. Always good to allow me to check in early and/or stay late. I do business in Amarillo a lot and sometimes it is not "normal" hours but they have never had issues with it. I like to have extra bath items and they have always complied with no problem.

I almost think the person who wrote the bad review must have had the wrong hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. Our staff at the hotel do the best every day and am glad that you had a great experiance at our hotel. We have just renovated some of our rooms, so next time you are in town ask about them. Thank you again for being a loyal customer.
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Check in is at 2p, check out is at 11am. I only stayed a night and its definitely not the worst you can do. My room was clean, the a/c worked, the front desk was really nice, and the shower was hot. Overall I would probably stay here again, it's not the Ritziest place by any means but it will do if all you want is to sleep,

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank PearlMonster
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor. I am glad to see that you had a good experiance at our hotel and got one of our renovated rooms with the new granite vanities, sinks and faucets. Our staff at the hotel are great and try to accomodate the guest as best they can. We are not the riziest place in town, but we offer a lot for the price point we are at. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Sometimes when traveling alone I don't mind a room that is a little rough when the rate is less than $40. But traveling with the wife this time, I wish I had opted to pay a few more bucks for a better place. If this motel is your choice, at least ask to see the room before you pay. The only way you will find this review helpful is if it helps you select a different motel. And if you do, good for you!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NeilfromDayton
Al P, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Amarillo Airport/Grand Street, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. The hotel is currently going thru renovations and updates to the rooms. We hope that in the future you will drop by and see all that we have done. Thank you again, GM
Laurel, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Stayed here instead of Motel 6. The staff on duty was very pleasant and helpful! Allowed me to park my truck and trailer outfront for the night. Room was alright. For the money (49.00) cant go wrong. Becareful ofthe hot water..very hot!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you Mr. Laurel for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. The hotel staff does its best in accomidating guest and gald to see that they did not let you down. We hope to see you in the future. Thank you, GM