“very nice place to stay with dogs” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Texan Motel

Big Texan Motel
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Paris, France
“very nice place to stay with dogs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have to say that for the price, I really was surprisingly impressed with the size of the room. The room (in the part that accepts dogs) was clean, quiet, far away from the highway, and themed perfectly well! We really enjoyed staying at the Big Texan Motel rather than a chain that accepts dogs.
We had dinner in the restaurant and ate so much that we did not go enjoy the breakfast buffet that they have - (they gave us a 2 dollar rebate per guest), but it is nice to be next door to that fun steak place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MC S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We enjoy staying at the motel because of its western theme and charm. It is dates as to accessories - the suede bed coverings are stained and need repair and the pillows are flat and uncomfortable. The swinging doors need to be lubricated. With just a bit of attention this property could be much nicer.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank FrenchMD
mayo ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

WOW!!!!!! WOW!!!!! WOW!!!!!
It's all been said but WOW!!!!!
You have to see this place to believe it. Don't forget your camera. Don't expect 5 star but do expect to stay in comfortable, clean, quirky and well run truly unique motel.
WOW!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
West Branch, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

It was a very neat building we were in. The back was for smoking and pets, but I thought" oh no: way in the back....but it was actually the best. away from the busy front. Loved it and found out we could go anywhere around town for free...yes, the Limosine service is free!! I will stay again. I do not smoke but I had my cats. the room smelled clean, no smoke smell, I wanted a room on the first floor. my husband had A steak at the resturant IT was very tender. The ribs I HAD were not. but they took it off my bill and gave me a half of carrot cake to make up for it. I will go there again.

Room Tip: lots of rooms near front up and down. pets and smokers are in the back building, but they keep it s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katlady999
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

OK - I stayed here for a night because I was driving thru and wanted to way at the restaurant. What can I say? It's kitschy. Do it once. Staff is nice rooms are basic cinder block dorm types with western flare. Meh. Fun but just once. Unless you have your horse. Then mos defense stay here. Room appears clean. Staff is super. Restaurant is right next door.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank green_chile_warrior
Great Horkesley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel for a stay during our Route 66 tour. It looks like an old western town and the rooms are decorated in the same theme.

Our room had 2 queen beds, coffee-maker, and a huge tv.

One of the best reasons to stay is to eat at the restaurant which has great food and service and, of course, the 72oz steak challenge as seem on Man v Food. You get a $2 off breakfast voucher for staying in the hotel and the French Toast was the best we have ever tasted.

There is an excellent gift shop and arcade too.

Would recommend to anyone as a fantastic themed experience.

Only complaint would be that we could not connect to the free Wifi in the room, but who cares?

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I spent a night at the Big Texan Motel on a cross country Route 66 Adventure. In all honesty I thought that it was going to be tacky beyond repair and was staying for the novelty, but left totally impressed with their quality and service.

Holly in check in was delightful and we got a good rundown of Amarillo and the Big Texan experience. Our room was larger than I expected and the decor was just oodles of fun. A wild western mural covered one wall. There was a saloon style swinging door to separate the living and sleeping area from the closet and bathroom area. There was a Billy the Kid wanted sign, wooden walls and a western themed lush bedspread. The bed was super comfy which is not often found in motels. The theme tied together nicely while still being tasteful. The bed was super comfortable and there was a mini fridge to keep our sodas. Wifi was free which was a huge plus.

The Big Texan has a lot of unique features including a Texas shaped swimming pool, a horse hotel, and a fleet of longhorn limos that picks people up anywhere in Amarillo and brings them to the Big Texan. The motel itself looks like an old western village and has lots of benches and swings. It is pet friendly and features a run for your dogs to play, including an obligatory fire hydrant. There is a really great geocache on site too.

Of course we had dinner at The Big Texan Steak Ranch. Both my husband and I genuinely enjoyed their food. My prime rib was great. All the servers were very friendly and gave great suggestions. We loved the wandering musicians. We did not try the 72oz challenge, nor was anyone doing it while we were there, but it blows my mind to know how many people have accomplished this! Another neat plus was the drinks were served in take home plastic cups filled with fun facts about the Big Texan. Once you have survived the meal, you can have extra fun there. They have a fudge counter and huge gift shop featuring a real rattlesnake. They also have a hopping bar area with a lot of signature drinks. Best of all, an old shooting gallery. We had an absolute blast.

The Big Texan earned its 5th star in my review for the sheer fun factor. We had so many laughs and were so amused by everything we saw here that I can't help but rate it highly. I also have to mention Amarillo has a lot of spirit and great antique stores. I would love to spend more time here someday and am so happy we picked the Big Texan Motel for our first visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple