“Fourth overnight stay(Driving Route 66 from Chicago to LA)”
Review of Big Texan Motel

Big Texan Motel
Ranked #30 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stopped here for en overnight stay on our way through Route 66 to LA. Rooms was clean and really nothing to complain about. As espected. The restaurant was fantastic. All kind of various types of steaks cooked (prepared) to perfection. A fantastic selection of drinks. Only one thing to say. "don't miss out this place if you are in the area".

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review in my room. There is an odor emanating from the bathroom area that I cannot pin on any family member. It reminds me of a male cat spraying an alley wall. Speaking of....we saw 6 cats roaming the parking lot....some attempting to procreate in front of us. The tv has a short in it, we can't walk by too fast or else the breeze causes it to shut off. The wifi won't reach our room and we are in the main bldg. I almost broke a hip because the bathroom floor gets slicker than snot with a little water. As I turn 40 later this year, I would like to keep my own hip for a few more years thank you. If you would like to live like "Oscar the Grouch in the Wild West" stay here.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Zombie_slayer
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of a Contiki tour. Once we entered the rooms my roomate and I were shocked at the way they were designed. They looked fantastic and we found ourselves roaming through our other tour buddies rooms just to see what they all looked like.

The Big Texan was quiet and comfortable. The rooms were of a great size and very clean. The staff made us all welcome with a welcome letter and lollies in our room on arrival. The Texan Steak Ranch was a great experience and a great place to socialise with friends and meet the locals.

I cannot fault this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CarlaLouise1992
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Big Texan was pet friendly, that, and the steak challenge factor influenced our decision. We thought it would be fun, and the room was fine. It was clean and appeared recently redecorated. Nice towels and clean carpet. Pillows were tired, but two together was comfortable. Really the only disappointment was the mold/mildew above the sink where the roof had leaked. The building is cinder block thus the room was very quiet, and the wood shutters blocked the light well. I barely heard a motorcycle group leave. However, the trash cart was super noisy, like a train rumbling outside. The grounds were also quite clean, except the dog run. No fault of the dogs, only their rude humans who refused to bag the poop. I may have rated four stars if not for communications with reservations. We reserved by phone (with a cc of course) and notified the desk that we would have a very late arrival. They called us at 8:30p to say they would continue to hold the room until 10p and to call if it would be later. We told them it would be later, but called them anyway and they again said they would hold the room until 11:30. We said you have the cc go ahead and charge it. These calls had a threatening quality to them, like "when you get here you won't have a room.", but they had our cc so what did it matter when we arrived - they would get paid either way. We encountered a delay where we would arrive after 11:30 and again called the desk. This lady said, "No problem, your fine, I'll be here all night." Four calls for a motel room. That was annoying, while trying to travel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Iloveprongies
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We wanted to eat at the Big Texan Steak Ranch so it made sense to stay at this motel. Our rooms were great; we even had saloon doors from the room into the bathroom area. We let the boys have the pink themed room, and we had the “cowboy brown”. The motel has a pool in the shape of the state of Texas which was cute. The motel is probably was a bit overpriced, but it is a tourist attraction after all. It’s a quirky and a fun place.

We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LiciaW
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our route 66 trip. With a little effort they could make this place really pleasant. Carpet in the room was very dirty. The lamp on the bedside table was broken not a big deal normally but the rooms are very dark. With some new paint, carpet and care it could be really cool. I gave it average because it's worth one stay for the fun atmosphere in general. Thumbs up to the restaurant though the food was great!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristin E
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Average hotel. Room was fine for budget accommodation. We locked ourselves out of the room accidentaly and when we went to the office to ask for some new keys they were extremely rude and acted like we had committed a crime and slammed the new cards down on the counter and turned their backs on us. Apart from that it was fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends