“Our standard stop in Amarillo”

Ashmore Inn & Suites
Ranked #25 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at this hotel every other year on our way to MO and back. It's been consistently good for us. The only thing we noticed this time was the fold out sofa mattress was unusable for my daughter. Perhaps because she's now 12, and a flat mattress just won't cut it anymore. We hadn't had that problem before. We were too tired to do anything about it, so we just bunked together in the king bed. The breakfast is standard TX fare. There's a Cracker Barrel right across the parking lot, which we find a bonus vs navigating the funky outer road system in Amarillo.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Florentine C

Reviewed 19 June 2013

From the outside this hotel looks great. I got checked in, the front desk clerk was friendly. However, as we walked down the hall it smelled overwhelmingly of stale cigarette smoke which is odd because this is a non-smoking facility. The beds are truly awful. No padding, not even a comforter. There is literally a sheet covered by a velour blanket, covered again by a sheet. That's it! I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Overall, our stay was fine. The room and bed were standard. The elevator was incredibly slow. The TV didn't work. I first attributed it to the passing storm, but it still was on the blink the next morning. (To be fair to the hotel, I didn't call the front desk about the issue.) Ashmore has a big ballroom that they apparently rent out for parties, and there was a huge graduation party in full swing when we checked in. This meant an overly crowded parking lot, LOUD guests, and kids running up and down the halls all night. This isn't the hotels fault, per se, but keep in mind that this is probably not the quietest or most relaxing choice of hotel. Still, the room was clean, the shower was hot, and we didn't require much more than that. The biggest down side here is the parking. Nearly all of the parking is found along the sides and back of the hotel, and those areas are quite sketchy. I was shocked that my car wasn't broken into. I fully expected it. If this place put more parking out front, restricted parking to hotel guests only, and put up more lights in the parking lot, my rating might be higher. For the price, this hotel is a decent choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was our 2nd time staying at the Ashmore Inn & Suites. It is a very clean and friendly place to stay. It is very easy to get to right off I-40. There are some good restaurant choices close by. We would recommend this place to stay, and will stay at this hotel for our next trip back to Amarillo.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jodie C
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed one night here. To get to our room, which was non-smoking, we had to walk through a hallway filled with the smell of smoke, as well as, the elevator. The carpet in the elevator was filthy, as was the carpet leading out the door to go to the parking area. Our bathroom had a terrible stench and wasn't clean, as I found hair in it. I tried to get internet service, but gave up. The breakfast was awful! Heavy on pork gravy and sausage, but can't have real butter. What a joke! The eggs didn't look real, like fast food. Didn't have queen beds, only fulls. So, an accumulation of everything, not just one or two issues, made this a regretable stay. I am not familiar with Amarillo, but after trying to find a decent place to eat, we found much better hotels that I wish I would have known about sooner.
The staff at the desk also is unsure and only taught to get a room, nothing else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank r m
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Check in was fine. The clerk was polite. When we got to our room, we found it to be a nice size. It was clean. It looked very dated, though. Tried to use the wifi, and it was so slow it was unusable. Nice to have Cracker Barrel across the parking lot for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank LuckyMommyTraveler
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The best part of our stay was Cracker Barrel next door. I give them credit for trying to revamp what was clearly an older hotel, but it's age still showed. The entire wing had a very stale smell and it just looked dingy. Our room also had two double beds, not necessarily accommodating for a couple over 6" tall. Served its purpose as a stop ever on our trip, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple