“Run down hotel..nice staff, until you have a problem.”

Red Roof Inn Amarillo East
Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
“Run down hotel..nice staff, until you have a problem.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I had stayed at Red Roof Inn earlier in the year, and despite it being kind of run down, the beds were comfortable, they had free coffee all day, and the staff at the front desk were nice. The wifi was lousy if your room was far away from the office.
My second stay was in mid April. We had sadly lost our precious granddaughter, and had to travel back to Amarillo for her funeral. We needed two rooms the first night because we needed one room for me and my husband, and another for my two teenage boys. Then the next night, we would only need one room, as my husband had to fly back for work, and I was just going to share a room with my boys (it had two queen beds). We were doing this to save money. When we booked the rooms we were VERY clear that we needed two rooms for only one night. The girl helping us book the room seemed very young, and she was obviously in training. She had an older lady helping her and guiding her through the process.
The next morning, while my husband was getting ready to leave for the airport, I moved my belongings to the room that my sons were staying with. A couple of hours later I received a call on my cell phone from the front office. It was the older staff member that had helped the younger girl book our rooms the day before. She rudely asked me why we didn't inform the office that we were going to check out of the room my husband and I stayed in. She said that not only did we not inform them of the checkout, but that we left the do not disturb sign on the door, and so the maids left for the day without cleaning it.
I told her that we absolutely did tell her we were checking out the day before. She then told me that they had already charged our credit card for two nights on both rooms, and that we had signed the paper that said we understood how many nights we were being charged for.
I immediately went to my bank account online, and sure enough, we were charged two nights for the room that we had already checked out of.
I went to the office and asked if they would please refund our money for the one night. The same two women were there from the day before, and so I tried to get them to remember that we had told them multiple times that we didn't need the room for two nights. They both played dumb, and then presented me with the paper that my husband signed, agreeing to two nights.
I asked to talk to the manager, and that is when the real problems started. Right away he treated me like I was a complete burden. He tried to push the blame on me, and was rude and uncooperative. I told him that it was his trainee that had messed up by charging us for two nights. He said that we had not told her we were staying only one night, and that he could prove it because we had signed the paper. I was actually floored at how rude he was to me. He wouldn't listen, was talking over me, and eventually said he was going to call the police to kick us out. All I was trying to do was get a refund for the room. I never raised my voice, never caused a scene. He started raising his voice and threatened to kick us out of the second room.
I have NEVER experienced such terrible customer service. He stomped off to the back room and started yelling in a different language at the young employee that had goofed up in the first place. We could hear him throwing papers around back there, and doing all this as other customers walked into the office.
I had finally had enough. We had just buried our 3 year old granddaughter the day before, and here was this ignorant manager yelling at me. I started to cry, and finally told them that they should be ashamed of themselves. This man was very unprofessional and he had his front desk staff so scared of him that they wouldn't back me up when I asked them to confirm that we had told them multiple times we weren't needing the two rooms for two nights.
I will NEVER stay there again, obviously. They are a management team that cares more about being right and making their money than being professional, polite, and putting the feelings of their customers first.

• Stayed April 2014
8 Thank AmyAdams1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Outside appearance on the upper floor was kind of scary, but the room inside was really nice. It looks like they maybe updating? My room had new carpeting, refrig and microwave. Bed was very comfortable. Was very nice and quiet. Very clean. Was close to some restaurants and gas stations. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We got a standard room so we didn't get all the amenities but that is what we wanted. The room was clean and everything seemed to work ok. Staff was pretty nice and got us checked in and out quickly. We did have some internet problems but it was no big deal. If we return to the area, I'll try them again.

Room Tip: away from ice machine
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My daughter and I, with dog in tow, stayed at Amarillo, TX, Red Roof Inn in early April 2014. It was awful. The phones didn't work for over two hours and the internet was down for longer. The staff offered to move us to another "more internet connected" room, but we were exhausted and after the first two hours of trying to get on the internet, we called it a night. The location is very unattractive and geared to those who want to get in and get out quickly.

Breakfast was a joke. Same old cereal. The toaster "worked" meaning it was plugged in and could generate heat, but the push down levers were broken making the toaster unusable.

The entire vibe of the place is dark, desperate and in great need of a make-over. Day manager argued with me about my request for a price break stating they offered to move us. She was rude and manipulative calling me "difficult." Well, this customer won't be returning to any Red Roof Inns in the future if a La Quinta is available...and there is...right next door...like a breath of fresh air and clean and bright, too.

Don't, DO NOT go to this hotel if there are any, any other options.

Room Tip: No rooms would be worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lori S
kvaap, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Amarillo East, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn Amarillo. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience, and you were disappointed with your stay. The technology not working is certainly frustrating, and I apologize for the inconvenience. Also, I am disheartened that you won't revisit any Red Roof, and hope you will give us a second chance. Thanks,

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Hereford
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My wife and I have stayed here many times. The rooms are clean with basic comforts and amenities, including microwave and fridge. The bed and pillows were comfy and we didn't need to bring our own pillows from home.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Larry who assisted us personally when I mistakenly booked the room for the wrong night - (we arrived "a day earlier" than what I booked). He worked directly with the Expedia to help me change the reservation, get me a fully wheelchair accessible room, and at no additional cost to me. He even allowed me to call Expedia from the motel's phone so I wouldn't have to go back to my car to get my cell phone.

The motel is close to many good places to eat and easily accessible from I-40, especially for travelers going eastbound.

I would definitely recommend this motel and will stay there again this year.

Room Tip: If you have a wheelchair, I suggest getting the non-smoking king room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
kvaap, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Amarillo East, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn Amarillo, and I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and liked our staff and all that we had to offer. I hope to see you in the future, and I also appreciate your opinion. Thanks,

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I would not stay in another Red Roof Inn. Although the staff was really nice, the room was really dirty...stains on the carpet, staines on the bathroom tile. I don't have many expectations for the price of the room, but at the very minimum I want a clean room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
kvaap, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Amarillo East, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate your feedback and we wish this would have been brought to our attention during you stay. We would never allow our guests to remain in a room that doesn't meet high standards of excellence and cleanliness. We have shared this with our staff and we are confident that this would not happen again. we value your business an hope that you will consider us again when traveling thru the Panhandle.
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The property is a little older (used to be a HowardJohnson), but is in overall good shape. I hear that the owners are currently touching up the rooms. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, the tvs' are a bit boxy. . There is a vending/laundry room, which is better than not having one at all! It contains one washer and one dryer, both coin operated, the vending machines lack anything of interest. The parking lot is well maintained, with plenty of safe, lit spaces, there's even a large lot for semi trucks/RVs/moving vans!. The staff here have been nothing but helpful and friendly, especially Kym McWilliams (desk clerk) who checked us in. All in all, its in a safe neighborhood, right off I40, and within walking distance to PLENTY of food joints!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side fill up first. Rooms in the middle of each side seem pretty quiet, just not b...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn Amarillo. I appreciate you staying with us, and I am also happy to know that you enjoyed your experience. I hope to see you again next time, and also thank you so much for letting us know your opinion so that we may improve.