“Put down your food if you're reading this....”

Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center
Ranked #37 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here on the 2nd night of our cross country journey. Driving all day from St. Louis we arrived around midnight and were checked in fairly quickly and as stated in my previous Courtyard review for this trip (St. Louis property) we really just wanted a clean, safe, and comfortable place to crash. Again, Courtyard is a name we know and trust to get a clean, comfortable and safe stay. For the most part everything at this property met those criteria so I have to preface my "Poor" rating with the following: the hotel was fine. Most of the renovations were done except for a few minor things in the lobby/dining area, but the rooms were renovated and nice. The reason for the poor rating is the fact that after checking into our room and settling in, I noticed something extremely unsettling as I was about to flush the toilet.

How do I put this delicately. Um.....I guess there is no way. There was feces on the handle to flush the toilet. Yup. Poop. We were totally grossed out. This is unacceptable in any hotel. If this is not clean than god knows how clean the rest of the place is. Called downstairs and they clean and fixed the problem and offered us both comped breakfast. It was late and we were tired from driving all day and we really just wanted to sleep so we accepted. I then basically re-cleaned the bathroom with those Lysol Disinfectant Wipes (yes, I travel with them and use them to wipe stuff down in hotel rooms......but never to this extent)....we showered and went to bed. Totally skeeved out.

Breakfast was fine.....had to reorder our eggs about twice before they got it right but no big deal. Rating would have probably been "Very Good" if not for the bathroom.

Room Tip: Check bathroom for feces.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kravid

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Evidently the renovations are done because this property was one of the better Courtyards that I have stayed in.
The staff was friendly and was able to help quickly with one special request right away.
The rooms were very nicely appointed for a Courtyard and offered very clean rooms. The beds were comfortable and were beyond adequate to provide a great nights sleep.
If passing through Amarillo again, I would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel does not live up to the basic standards of the Courtyard brand. The facility is tired, the rooms are on par with the Fairfield Inn brand as far as size goes. We literally just stayed in a Courtyard in OKC the previous night and the difference between the two properties is like night and day. Nothing about this hotel meets the national standards for the this brand and I am disappointed that the regional Marriott Quality Assurance team would let this place bare its name.
We are Marriott Gold Rewards Members. And as such, we have a profile in the Marriott reservation system that lists our preferences and special needs. None of preferences from our profile were catered too.
I would not waste my money on the hotel. My suggestion is to stay at the Fairfield Inn just 2 miles to the west of the property.

Room Tip: The west facing rooms really heat up in the late afternoons.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Denverbri69
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My only complaint about this hotel is that they didn't offer a free breakfast. If I pay $108 for a room, I expect a free breakfast. The room was very clean and the bed and bedding very comfortable. Although the hotel was close to the interstate, we did not hear any traffic noise in our room. My husband really liked the blackout curtains. The room was completely dark and we weren't awakend by sunlight in the morning. Close to restaurants, the mall and movie theatres.

Room Tip: The bed in the king room faces the window. Nice layout and makes the room feel more spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Joyce K, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment about our hotel. Unfortuantely Courtyards do not offer complimentary breakfast but we appreciate your comments regarding the hotel and its location.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

The newly renovated rooms are very nice and clean other then a few stray hairs found in the bathroom from previous guests. The shower tiles had a crack half way down the wall. The rooms were decorated very well. The beds were comfortable with soft sheets and pillows.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CYAmarillo, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Wibbles,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for posting a review on Trip Advisor. Our renovation is coming along very smoothly, rooms are complete and we are currently working through the lobby. I am very sorry for the flaws in your bathroom area. I shared your comments with my team so we can work on taking corrective actions.

I hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked this hotel for a high school bowling team for our regional tournament. Everyone including the parents all loved the hotel and the people who worked there. The rooms were beautifully decorated, very spacious and clean. I am very picky about bathrooms and it was spotless and I loved the shower! The location was perfect, near so many restaurants and shopping. We weren't there long enough to do much, but if I ever come back I will definitely stay here again. Thank you to the amazing sales manager Joyce Knight for all her help setting our block of rooms up!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Joyce K, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you so much for the very kind words. We all are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back! Our goal is to make everyone's stay perfect and just like home!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

After a long day on the road this Marriott property was a welcome place to spend the evening. The rooms had a very calm, quiet, and relaxing environment. Easy to access from I-40 and near many places to eat and relax. Parking is easy, the morning breakfast was typical but enjoyable and staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Joyce K, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind words. The staff of the Amarillo Courtyard West is very happy you stayed with us and hope to see you on a return trip. Our goal is to have the friendliest and cleanest hotel in town. Thank you once again and happy traveling!