“Nice, Clean Rooms”

Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
sulphur
“Nice, Clean Rooms”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

This hotel is located right off the interstate, it is quiet though. The rooms are nice, the beds are comfortable. We felt secure while staying here. It is a nice place, the front desk attendant was really nice too.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank mary2
HotelMangAmarillo, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
We pride ourselves on our focus on Safety, for our guests and employees. I am excited that you noticed how safe and comfortable our hotel is! You are exactly correct when you stated “that we easy to access being directly off the interstate”, however our parking lot is large that its length buffers the sound of the highway noise, contributing to a very peaceful sleep, not to mention our amazing Marriott beds! Thank you for your review, we can’t wait to see you next time your travels take you to Amarillo, TX!

With gratitude,

-Sales Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
phoenix
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Room type: 2 queen (gave us the larger 2 queen room) on 3rd floor
Pros: Clean, Comfortable bed, good location, luggage carts available.
Cons: Could smell the breakfast from 6:30-9:30 both mornings in our room as if it was being cooked next door. (now if you like the smell of toast and pancakes while you are sleeping then this is not a problem) : )

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank Anselrte66
Thank you for your review! I bet that nothing would get my kids up faster than smelling eggs and bacon in the morning- who needs an alarm clock?!?! I understand that those senses can be quite over-whelming to one’s olfactory system… next time you stay with us we can make sure you get a room not as close to the kitchen… However, for the others if you request this room, remember we only have 2 rooms so close to the kitchen, so we will have to start a waiting list if you want this “special alarm clock”. I’m glad you found our beds to be comfortable and found our location convenient. Next time you are in Amarillo we will be sure to book you on the 3rd floor so there is no chance of smelling our wonderful breakfast, until of course- you come down to eat.

Thank you!

-Sales Staff
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed here for one night on our way from California to NYC. We've been in Amarillo before, but not in this Hotel.
Amarillo is very easy to navigate in. Actually everything's located on both sides of the Interstate which leads through the whole town. So even you chose a Hotel at one side of the town, it's only a matter of minutes to get anywhere in town.

Located right on the Interstate this place is easy to find. Even located on I-40 it was surprisingly quiet.
The Check-In was fast and friendly. The Hotel felt safe all the time and was clean (from lobby to the room).
The room came with flatscreen and fridge...no microwave. The bed was really comfy and gave us a really good sleep.
A big mall is just across the Interstate if you feel like some shopping. And the Big Texan is just 10 minutes away. So we were really happy with the place.... but it really could be a few bucks cheaper. I know it's a Courtyard, but still... But even so, it's still a good option, because everything else was good.

Wanna know more about my trips? Click on my profile or visit:
route66traveler.jimdo.com

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bandit-One
HotelMangAmarillo, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
I very much enjoyed your website! You keep quite a cumbersome “log” of all your travels! Your lifestyle seems very exciting, and for such a great review of our hotel, from someone who has traveled all-over, we are truly excited! I have shared this review with our management team, and we would love to meet you next time you find yourself in Amarillo! We couldn’t agree more that we are in the perfect location, near the mall and even in walking distance to many great places to eat! Which you mentioned is another one of your favorite activities, besides driving- by the way, nice Cadillac!

We look forward to when your travels take you to our parking lot once again!

-Management Team at the Courtyard by Marriott, Amarillo
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This is pretty much a basic Courtyard hotel, nothing extraordinary here. There was a dirty band-aid on the couch in our room, but the front desk was helpful in moving us to another room and comped us breakfast as a result.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank relytj
HotelMangAmarillo, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
I’m sorry that your had such an unusual experience at our hotel! We don’t like to hear of such a bad experience, you called it a “decent” stay; however we strive for the best, so this is considered an “epic fail” for us. We would love the opportunity to truly “wow” you with your next stay. Hopefully, you will give us another chance and let us change your opinion! Please ask for the General Manager next time you book a room with us, and let them know that you are coming, we would love to have a second chance. We appreciate your honesty and your business.

-Hotel Senior Staff
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 July 2010

The staff, and the other guests (!), were really friendly, there's a 'happy hour' in the lobby when we arrived (I didn't partake, but it looked fun!), and the pool is great. We had driven all day from Houston so the pool was a much-needed break for the kids to get the 'wiggles' out. They gave us a handicapped room, which was odd, but fine. It was very clean, there was a mini-fridge, and very quiet. We paid for the all-you-can eat breakfast for the kids the next morning, there were lots of options/good choices. The price was great, considering I'd paid more for much worse accommodations. All-in-all, a nice stay!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Dani_BP
Plano
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We booked 2 rooms for my family of 5 children , five months in advance, and requested connecting rooms. They said they couldn't promise but they would try. When we arrived the agent at the counter told me he had 2 connecting rooms and gave us keys. Imagine our surprise when we tried to enter one of the rooms and found it was occupied! We went back downstairs (with 5 children and luggage in tow) and told the front desk. It was clear the front desk agent was poorly trained and didn't know what he was doing (poor management - no training), so the supervisor (not the manager) took over. After waiting 5-10 minutes they told us there were no other connecting rooms available , so they gave us a room across the hall. We then checked into the 2 rooms and found that one of them was flooded from the window A/C. It was not cooling (thermostat was set to 70 and the room temp was 77), and large area of carpet was completely soaked. I went back downstairs again and spent another 10-15 waiting on a different room, only to be told there are no other rooms available. "We'll send maintenance up tomorrow to fix it". Since we were leaving the next morning this did us little good. I asked to talk to a manager, but there were none on duty - only a supervisor. The supervisor proceeded to call the manager on her personal cell phone as she helped other guests with a drink from the "happy hour" (basically a table with a few wine bottles on it). After another 10 minutes of waiting (wife and kids getting cranky) she said "that's all we can do. The manager said she can give you 20% off the room with the broken A/C". I paid $120/night for each room so I considered this unacceptable and told them so. Later the front desk agent called to say he had called the management and was able to get a 50% discount, plus free breakfast. While I appreciate the gesture, anything less than a comped room seems unacceptable to me, given that it was flooded and hot (slept very poorly with a sheet only). I asked for extra towels to put on the floor, which they provided (one was very badly stained with something brown), but they were instantly saturated, leading to my kids running around with wet socks all night.

Other things you should know about this hotel before booking:

- There were long stretches of time where nobody was at the front desk. People kept coming in to check on availability, and yelling "hello? anybody here?". I watched as 3-4 people came in over a 10 minute period - each left after finding the front desk deserted.

- "Cooked to order" breakfast was not cheap, though we were given vouchers, which I appreciated. We were the only people eating at 9:00 am on a Sunday with a full house. Even so, they ran out of scrambled eggs at the buffet and I had to ask for more. It took about 15 minutes to cook more, after I notified them. I could understand if it was very crowded, but we were the only people there! The nice waitress then showed me how to make my own waffle, but afterwards when I went for syrup the large dispenser was empty. When I notified the waitress she said "Oh, we ran out yesterday, and they haven't ordered no more. You can use this" - she handed me a small store bought container of "Sugar Free Syrup". Remember, this is a $120/night hotel and an $8/person breakfast, yet they ran out of eggs and syrup?!?!? Bad management.

- The bedding was very cheap. This is the first time I have seen a "fake bedspread" - basically a 2 foot wide strip of bedspread that is draped over the middle of the bed to give appearance of a folded back bedspread. Seems like for $120/night we could get a real bedspread.

There are numerous other little things that I noticed that all point to poor management. It doesn't take much to plan for a busy weekend, but it was clear the management team was thinking more about their Saturday night than the comfort of their guests. I do give the supervisor credit for trying to make us comfortable, but it was clear she was having to work twice as hard at her job to make up for the poor management of the property overall.

We usually stay at the Drury Inn a block away, which has always been very nice with no complaints. We were forced to book this hotel due to a convention in town, but I will certainly not be booking here again.

Marriott - if you are reading this, one good manager could fix all of these problems in a few weeks.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank th2688

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

denver
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Customer service was the best thing that made this hotel. Our stay started off rough when we found hair in our bathroom. But after we had that taken care of everything else was great. Emily who is one of the front desk clerks was very friendly and would great people by name. We asked her what there is to do in Amarillo and she asked what we liked gave us some recommendations and we were off when we came back she show us some other things we could do. She got on the internet and looked up a winery, restaurant, and museum for us. Overall satisfied with our hotel stay, wish Amarillo was a little more exciting.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple