“Considering avoiding Hilton brands” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites Amarillo

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Homewood Suites Amarillo
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Woodway, TX
“Considering avoiding Hilton brands”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am an HHonors Silver member and have traveled all over the country. Up until recently, Hilton has been our first choice. No more.
We arrived after 9 days of driving 3500 miles and wanted our last night to be comfortable before heading home. It was not to be.
We arrived and checked in. When we went to the room (which was very far away from the desk), I went to close the curtains and found that the bedroom window was cracked almost the whole way across. It did not appear to be broken all the way through, but I wanted to alert the staff, so that we wouldn't be charged for damage. Incidentally, the window was so dirty that I almost didn't notice. I also noted that there was no ice bucket, so I added that to my items to discuss with them.
Upon approaching the desk, I found the desk clerk engaged on the phone with a couple upset about a charge to their account. Despite her best efforts to handle it, they kept her on the line for a long time while several of us were waiting. I was stunned to hear her say that there is no manager on duty on weekends. I cannot imagine that! The couple next in line had a reservation that could not be found in their system. The clerk addressed my concerns along with that of another guest before getting into a long second problem. I learned that no one had reported the broken window, and that there was no ice. The refrigerators' ice machines did not work, and there was no ice in the vending area, but that we could pick up a bag in the Suite Shop whenever they got it ready. It was already late afternoon. I cannot imagine nearly 100 bags of ice in that small freezer, nor can I imagine toting a dripping bag of ice all that way to our room. Our internet connection did not work. I wanted to pop the provided popcorn, but the "kitchen": was so poorly stocked that I couldn't even find a bowl to hold it. There was no point in trekking back down to the desk for any help there. I had asked if coffee was available and was told, "If there's any there".
If one wanted to visit then vending machine, one needed a room key to access, even though it is inside the property. Unfortunately, mine did not work, so I had to go back and get the other one.
I went back later to see about ice, and the poor desk clerk was still dealing with the missing reservation. Unbelievable. Still no ice, so I gave up on that. In 48 years of travel, we have never been a guest at a hotel that could not even manage to provide ice.
As another reviewer mentioned, we also noticed that the bathtub was dangerously slick, and we cannot imagine that people have not fallen while bathing.
The room was technically a suite, but it appeared to be a fairly large regular room that had been chopped up to make separate rooms.
The final straw was the breakfast. The eggs were good, but the bacon was practically raw, the table was sticky, and there was cereal spilled on the carpet that no one came to clean up.
We in no way fault the desk clerk. These problems are due to poor management, or no management at all. There should be more than one person behind the desk on a busy summer weekend. I will be writing to Hilton about this matter, and if we are not issued a full refund, it may not be an option for us next time down the road. All we wanted out of the hotel was us, but all we got was the bill.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank corollagirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Homewood Suites is my preferred hotel because we get so much for the price of a regular room at other chains. In Amarillo we stayed here 3 nights while visiting Palo Duro Canyon. The staff was all very friendly and attentive, from the front desk to maintenance to the food service. The hot breakfast and supper were good and saved us some $$$ since I have a teen son (a.k.a. "bottomless pit"). I wish they had waffles with breakfast, but for some reason they did not. The staff are very dedicated. One night we were under a tornado warning and the staff went door-to-door getting everyone up and into the hallway.

On the downside, the pool could've used a cleaning (but it's Amarillo where it's always dusty and windy) and our AC unit was loud.

Overall I'd stay here again.

Stayed June 2014
League City, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed in a studio suite...one large room, small kitchen with large refrigerator (perfect for refreezing our ice boxes for our cooler). The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk people were courteous and helpful. The dinner meal was perfect for us...we like to eat light when on the road, but there were several restaurants close by. It was convenient, clean and met all our needs. We watched a thunderstorm roll in, which was also entertaining. The breakfast is hearty to say the least! Good quality all the way around. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

All suite hotel, first room has full kitchen with dining table, sleeper couch in a small living room set-up. Bedroom is separate room, plush bedding. Next door is a Red Robin, gourmet burger place with lots of other choices. Quiet hotel but if non-smoker, be sure to ask for NS room. Nice breakfast buffet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Myers, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel was awful for us. The front desk lady was unfriendly and unprofessional. The room was in terrible shape, curtain rod in bathroom was falling down. Curtains were extremely hard to shut, and the icemaker didn't work. The coffee in the morning tasted like 10 day old motor oil and the food was awful. The pool was FREEZING and had LOTS of trash in it. There was also trash all over the ground around the hotel and there was a dead bird on the bench that had been there for a long time (it was a skeleton). Then when we went to check out, there wasn't anyone at the checkout desk, called on the phone and nobody answered. Just all in all a awful place. Hopefully the manager can get things together there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

3 Thank Brandy M
China Spring, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our stay at Homewood Suites was nothing short of perfect! The room, the breakfast, the staff everything was top notch! The room are very spacious and clean. The breakfast was wonderful too. We will most definitely stay again in the future!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Danville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am a big fan of Homewood Suites. Great value for the price. Love the roomy suites and full kitchens. Managers reception in the evening is nice touch--food average but comes with the room cost. Hot breakfast if you choose.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business