“Not great but...”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Keep in mind this is a chain but this was the original location. So, the magic which created a several city operation can be felt here. The manager, Ken Crowe, is a hands on guy who can be found on the floor, mixing with guests, all times of day and night. It's an impressive room within a very basic strip mall with plenty of parking. Servers well trained and professional. Bar staff top of the line. Food is very good but not exceptional. That said, you will be hard pressed to find better overall in this town. If its Mex you crave, this spot will serve well.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Great place to eat. Really consistent dining experience every time. I love their prime rib on Thursday nights, but go early they sell out quick.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We've eaten at Abuelo's in Amarillo on a few occasions and every time we've been there it's been a great experience! Great food, great drinks, great atmosphere! I highly recommend trying the green (tomatillo) salsa and chips - it's actually quite refreshing. For dinner, you cannot go wrong with enchiladas and their signature side, "Papas con Chile", which is essentially cheesy mashed potatoes. The restaurant is quite busy at dinner hour so make sure you're ready to wait for a seat.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband does not agree with me, but I thought the food was just ok.

My first impression was not a good one either - the table we were showed to was filthy - there were smashed corn chips all over the floor and under the table and one of the seats in the booth was covered in liquid. I have to say this puts me off a place immediately.

Our waiter was friendly, but I got the impression he wasn't listening that much - he took our drink orders, walked 5 steps, then came back and asked what our order was again.

I have eaten much nicer, fresher tasting Mexican.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I go out for dinner at least twice a week I like to try different restaurant and Mexican food places is what I like .what made me come back here Is that green salsa and the service I wish I can remember waiter name because he was the best waiter I ever came across before in my years of dinning out .Beautiful place ,wonderful service and the best Mexican food in Amarillo Thank you Abuelos I tell everybody to to go here