“The Way it used to be!”

Golden Light Cafe & Cantina
Ranked #36 of 520 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have eaten here several times and have never had a bad anything, (or even a mediocre anything for that matter). It is all great and cooked the way it used to be cooked! DON'T EXPECT FAST FOOD HERE. It is cooked to perfection as it is ordered. Don't expect "health food" either, there are plenty of other places to go for that. There may be some health food here but even if there were, I would pass it up for the great burgers and fries.
This is one of my favorite places to eat: not just in Amarillo, but everywhere!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Indeed, the burger here was quite possibly the best I have EVER had, ANYWHERE. Don't be put off by the rich character of the place, it is a greasy spoon in the very best sense of the words. The food is excellent! The 'Shroom Burger was heavenly, right off the grill in front of us, even the bun was grilled to perfection. The fries were fresh, hot, skin-on, and plentiful. This place is one of Amarillo's treasures. Don't miss it if you are traveling Route 66, and it is worth the short drive off I-40 if you are just passing through. You will be glad you did!

1  Thank krmtrains1
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I love the Golden Light for lunch or happy hour on the big back patio or at the bar but I especially love it for the live music from local bands as well as nationally touring acts. You never know who you'll find performing there!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

If this isn't burger perfection, it's as close as you can get! I honestly wasn't expecting very much because I'm picky about burgers and prefer fire grilled over your diner griddle type burger. But this place changed my mind about that. I've searched for great burgers at the most well known places in Sante Fe, as well as all the usuals in Amarillo. I believe the burger here is as good or better than Any other I have tried. Even beats Coyote Bluff by a notch or two! I got the double habenero burger. It was firey hot yet you could still reallly savor the huge beef flavor in this angus burger. It crushes places like Blue Sky, Arnolds, GJ's and all the rest. Golden light does it right and puts the others to shame. The fries are hand cut, not my style, kinda limp and greasy. Lots of people love that, but I'll stick to burger heaven next time I go. Can't wait to try other burger chioces on the menu. Perfectly seasoned and charred meat, toasted bun, a lil greasy in a delicious way.

1  Thank AmaFoodie
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I went here for lunch with my in-laws last month and really enjoyed it! They serve the best BLT ever! I even had a bite of someone else's cheeseburger and it was delish!

The picnic tables out back make a fun atmosphere for a family outing.