“Steak: Average / Everything Else: Great”

Smokey Joe's Texas Cafe
Ranked #123 of 519 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stopped by for a Texas sized Steak that needed a chainsaw to get through it, but outside of that a really good night. Jam packed bar with live music, views of the old road and cheap cold beer.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

a group of us on a hunt stopped on a busy Friday night. Great food and wonderful service despite an overwhelming crowd trying to get in. Would go again and again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stopped in on 6th Street for a little lunch and some junk shopping today and landed at Smokey Joe's. We read on TripAdvisor that they had THE best chicken fried steak in all of Texas, so we had to check it out!

Four of us (all girls) shared two orders and were STUFFED when we left. The steak was awesome (two of us went all out and had the jalapeño gravy, while the other two had the regular gravy). We both got mashed potatoes and fried okra. Fabulous!!!!! Can't imagine how we would ever have managed to eat an entire order by ourselves. The wait staff was fun and friendly.

We would have loved to sit outside -- it was a beautiful day -- but the smokers are relegated to the patio and it was too Smokey Joe out there for us!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

A friend and I went there on a Friday night. I had the hot ham & cheese and he had the frito pie. Both were very good. Laid back crowd, excellent service. Eager to go back and try the jalapeno chicken fried steak!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I had their jalapeno chicken fried steak. It was just about perfect for my taste. Some bite from the jalapeno gravy and some additional sliced jalapenos on top to suit to ones taste. One of the best chicken fried steaks I've ever had. Ordered fried okra and green beans for sides, also very good. Okra was as good as it gets. Service was excellent and the crowd was light. They also have a full bar so any drink one might imagine is probably available. Water was good. Interesting interior and decor. I will go out of my way to stop in here again. Oh, wait.. I did. This is my second visit and it was even better than the first (had sandwich the first visit).