“Great fun and fantastic steaks”

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #7 of 520 Restaurants in Amarillo
Price range: US$9 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place has to be seen - on a Sunday night it was packed - seats 450 - waited about 15 minutes which was fine. We were placed upstairs so we had a great view of everything. I am not normally a steak eater but it seemed rude not to - I think mine was a pan-handle and it was simply delicious. The only reason I haven't given this place 5 stars is because our server just seemed off. He kept getting our order wrong and we had to correct him. Okay were are from out of town but he didn't seem to be paying attention. We managed to catch his order error on the starters and desserts but when my steak came it was the 18oz instead of the 10 oz and my husbands and I's had been cooked the wrong way round. However we both ate and enjoyed them so we didn't say anything. However I did observe other servers doing an excellent job so I think ours was just having a bad day and he did seem to warm up as the evening went on. Wouldn't put me off going again if I was in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,257)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It is a steak stop fer sure - major kitsch, humor, laugh out loud kind of place. It is big, brassy, loud, food is good. Get into the steak eating contest for a free steak - gotta eat lots and YOU are the center attraction! Now about them Café Fries - well you gotta do this at least once in yer life - don't ask, just do it, then ask! This is a beef eatin' place, souvenier mecca, just gotta stop and get a giant kick out of it!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Everyone needs to go to the Big Texan at least once. We live in Amarillo and we make sure that we take our visiting guests there to get the experience. The steaks and all the fixings are good and its a lot of fun if you're lucky enough to have some people trying to eat the 72 oz steak.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went and had a good meal. It was fun and very much for the tourist but we were so what's wrong with that. Gutted as the night before someone had attempted the challenge but still was an experience. Had steak and partner had ribs, was very nice and plenty of it. Just thought it was fun.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were staying at the motel and went over to the steakhouse and put our names on the wait list. The place was absolutely heaving. There was a large bar area and a fairground shooting range inside, so we had a go on that and visited the gift shop to while away the time.

After about 45 minutes we got seated upstairs so we didn’t have a great view of the stage, but it didn’t matter as no-one attempted the challenge that night. It felt a bit like private dining upstairs, and I think I would have preferred to have been seated downstairs – in the thick of it.

I don’t like steak (I know..) but I still found something great on the menu. I opted for “Six flags of Texas” which was chicken strips, fried shrimp, baby back ribs and a buffalo slider!!!

The rest all went for the 24oz steak (and trimmings). Our waitress was great bringing free refills before we had even asked for them – you get to keep the large souvenir plastic cups.

As expected the portions were ginormous and I looked to have more left on my plate than I started with. Whilst we were eating, two old cowboys with a fiddle and gee-tarr came to our table and played “Country Road” – cheesy, but nice.

A great experience. Recommend.