“Terrible Experience”

Ranked #57 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Tampa, Florida
“Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

This is not a five star hotel by any stretch of the imagination. I waited an hour for the hotel shuttle to transport me to the hotel from the airport. I kept calling and was told the shuttle was coming but the driver told me that he was never informed. Clearly airline crews are top priority for this service. The check in process was so cumbersome because they used stacks of paper to sort through. They assigned me a room which was already occupied. (Amazingly my colleague had the same experience and she checked in 2 hours after me). The front desk didn't even apologize after I had to return twice. I received one bottle of shampoo for amenities. I had a coffee pot in the room, but no coffee so I had to call the desk again. I received someone else's wake up call at 4:30am. The room was tired and the bathtub needed regrouting. The TGIF restaurant on site was fine. I would equate my experience to that of a motel 6 or comfort inn.

• Liked — The lady in the gift shop was nice
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank 57Lulu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2008

My friends and I stayed here for a girls night in Amarillo. We booked a room on the concierge floor and the room was very small, very dark and the bathroom was smaller than most Holiday Inn's I've stayed at. I expected more. The ladies working in the concierge room were very nice and free drinks and breakfast gave it the two stars, but I can't really recommend this hotel.

• Liked — concierge floor was nice
  • Disliked — room needed more lighting, bathrooms were very small
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adele C

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Albuquerque
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2007

We booked this room through Hotwire. Unfortunately, we had to give the Ambassador Hotel our credit card for incidentals. The less than English speaking employee behind the counter then charged our credit card a second time. So we paid for the one terrible room twice. After trying for a month straight to get our credit card credited I am still battling it out with Ambassador Hotel in Amarillo. Hotwire has been wonderful through this process, but the managers at The Ambassador are very incompetent - especially the overall manager Phyllis. The room was not very clean. The lobby gives the impression it might be a nice stay, but don't be fooled. If this is the best hotel in Amarillo my suggestion it to stay in Dallas !!!!!!

• Liked — The departure
  • Disliked — The arrival
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank opheliarocco
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2007

Fairly Nice Hotel. Rooms were big. Good TV. Iron and ironing board. Luggage rack. Very comfortable bed. Desk and lounge chair. Lighting fairly good. Bathroom on the small side. A bit stingy with the bathmats. Heat and A/C worked well. There is a hotel shuttle to the airport, but it gets booked up early so reserve a spot asap. Gift shop was never open when we were there. There is a coffee pot in the room, but breakfast is a bit pricey. Overall a good place to stay if you can get a deal by going through one of the on line sites. Otherwise can be a bit steep.

• Liked — Nice big quiet room with very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Breakfast buffet was a bit pricey for what was there. Swimming pool is in the rear of the lobby. Too exposed
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
West Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2007

I booked this hotel because of a coupon that was in this hotel coupon book that I picked up at a rest stop in Oklahoma. The hotel itself was really nice. The rooms....okay I guess. The bathroom was SO SMALL though. For a pricey hotel, I would have thought the bathrooms would have been bigger. The bathroom door BARELY made it past the toliet. It was probably one of the smallest bathrooms I've ever seen. The wireless internet signal was not that strong either. Plus there is no "free" continental breakfast...it's $9 a plate buffet. We just stopped at McDonald's on our way out! If you do stay, make sure to find a coupon book at one of the rest stops along your way. I think we paid like $75 for the room.

Stayed September 2007
OK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2007

I was looking for that ahhh moment with a hotel and after speaking to the reservation desk was convinced I had choosen a wonderful place to stay. We arrived after a 6 hr drive from Tao's NM. The front desk was less than friendly but we took the key and headed up to the 5th floor. The room was large but a bit dated. The bathroom included a toilet that would not stop running until you jiggled the handle, one wash cloth, three towels and no mat for the bathroom floor. I had to put a towel down to step out of the shower. There was the bonus of a lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom but the hair dryer was one I haven't seen since the 70's. The noise in the bathroom when the air kicked on was annoying and the sink would not drain which is another pet peeve of mine. We had asked on the phone about a hot tub and was told that they did have one. To our dismay the pool and hot tube were both located in the center of the main floor of the hotel next to a restuarant dining area. The small hot tube looked like it might seat two people and was attached to the pool. Very poor placement and we didn't even go.
for the price of the room I really had high expectations for this stay.
On the positive side the bed was very comfy and the room was large.

• Liked — bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — slow draining sink and running toilet
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

It was a little bit kiddy city at the pool, but the pool was in the lobby with great little streams and landscaping. We had custom omelettes for breakfast at a reasonable price. Easy internet access. We would definately stay here again.

Stayed August 2007