“Now called "Ambassador Hotel"”

Wyndham Garden Amarillo
Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
“Now called "Ambassador Hotel"”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The staff was incredibly nice and tried to accommodate our convention. The lady working the breakfast buffet was terrific. Now for the bad news: I realized my air conditioner was not working at 9:30 p.m. I felt it was too late to move to another room so I asked them to repair the ac and I would stay in the room. The AC was not repairable, so they moved me to another room the next day. Many told me stories about the AC not working well.
The internet was terrible. I had to find a spot near the door of my room and stand to get a signal. This was even true near the front desk.
The morning I was to check out there was absolutely no hot water. Seems that they had a major malfunction. It just topped off a somewhat frustrating stay. Some colleagues stayed at a nearby hotel that was less expensive, newer and they had a better experience. I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Magnuson looked like an earlier version of Embassy Suites. Yes, it was a little dated but the room was large and bed comfy. For a one night stay near downtown it was perfect. They do provide buffet breakfast but we had to check out super early so missed out on that. Price was right!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank atraveler246
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

From check in (4 tries before they found a room with a working phone) to checkout (one person working with a line of 15 to catch a shuttle) The experience was not good. The advertised free breakfast mentioned in the room information was $5. The HBO was not available, the channel guide was not actually what was on the TV. Worse yet, for a business traveler, the internet was intermittent to not working at all. Housekeeping took my food and drinks on the first of day of cleaning. The phone started ringing at 4:30AM and would not stop. I called down and the front desk said just unplug it. Never again!

Room Tip: No idea how to get a good room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Amarillo, Texas, United States
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We held a writing conference at this hotel last weekend and I have to say that I was very impressed. The staff were very accommodating and made sure our attendees had everything they needed. The food was exceptional from the plated meals to the dessert bar and even the cash bar was very well stocked. Becky, the sales manager, Cynthia, and Banquet staff Manager Issac were all available and easy to find had there been any issues. They checked in with us frequently and took care of everything quickly and easily. This was one of the most stress free events I have ever coordinated and I will certainly use this hotel again for our next event.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Millbrook, Alabama
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Was in town with friends, so they made the reservations. Ambassador Hotel was nice and clean with a very helpful staff. Infact, we asked for something to be fixed in a room, and the maintenance folks made it to the room, before we did - and it was fixed. Staff greeted us coming and going. Very quiet and restful place. The only drawback was the small bathroom, but for a quiet place to get a good night sleep, it was worth it. I didn't have time to try their breakfast, sorry.

Room Tip: TGIF's a great place to eat while at this hotel. Several restaurants close by, too.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We traveled Aug 31- Sept 1, 2013 and stayed here but the name was "Ambassador Hotel"
This is what their website says;
"Voted Amarillo's best hotel ten consecutive years, the Ambassador Hotel is the embodiment of Texas Hospitality. Superior accommodations, extraordinary service and hospitality without equal make the Ambassador the choice for luxury accommodations in Amarillo"

This is what we saw:
1. Old, out dated, worn, and smell damp and musky public areas where the rooms are located.
2. Rooms had the same smell and worn look. Sofa was worn and stained.
3. The ceiling tile providing access to the A/C area kept falling down.
4. The room was clean when we checked in and it was only superficially cleaned during our stay. Only one washcloth was provided for our second night and the shampoo, conditioner, hand soap was not replenished.
5. The public areas were quite pleasing and updated.
6. The desk staff were polite, friendly and professional. Not so with the other staff. The maids did not greet or return greetings we gave them. They barged onto elevators with huge trash cans and maintenance supplies without regard to the guests already in the elevator.
7. Breakfast was $5 but did not include juice or milk. Juice and milk could be purchased for additional charges as could waffles and omelets. The hot buffet food was barely warm. We would not recommend the breakfast here. Pay a little more somewhere else and enjoy breakfast.
8. Complementary coffee is offered in the lobby from 4 Am until 9 Am. At 6 Am the coffee was barely warm.
9. The parking area was pitted with large potholes.
10. The pool was nice and stays open until 10 PM.
11. Complementary internet lost its signal every three-four minutes and was very weak signal. I ended up just using the 4G on my phone.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel. I have stayed at several other hotels in Amarillo and this is by far the worst of my experiences. If you can stay somewhere else for the same price I recommend you do so.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Also known as the Ambassador. There are some very good things about this hotel: breakfast, comfy beds, most friendly staff of any hotel I have stayed, big open atrium for meeting with guests, nice clean pool. However, only 1 of 3 elevators worked, free Internet only worked half the time, very long line at check in, our room smelled like mildew and it was hard to find enough electrical outlets to charge our iWhatevers, slow draining bathroom sink, 24/7 gurgling bathtub. The exercise room was 77 degrees both times I worked out, no Sani-Wipes, and old squeaky cardio equipment.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family