“Not what I expected.”

Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Amarillo, Texas
“Not what I expected.”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Old time tv and limited amount of channels, the ad said HBO Was available, but no HBO, strands of hair on the bed sheet. Love the lobby and swimming pool area. Room was nice. Great hospitality. Location is good. Not too far from the mall. Good dining places in the area.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband purchased a special weekend package for me, we stayed in the skybox ( the 10th floor) it was everything promised and more. The entire staff was friendly and made us feel like we were royalty. We had a beautiful treat basket in our room plus they provided non alcoholic champagne for me as I am a recovering alcoholic. We had free hor D'oeurves and free drinks (diet coke for me) from 5-7 pm each night. The bartender was super nice and went over and above good service. We also got a complimentary full breakfast every morning. I got a massage on the first day of our stay and the therapist was very nice and gave a great massage. The hot tub and pool were both in working condition. Our room was very clean and really nice. We had several meals in the restaurant and everything was great and was presented very pretty and the wait staff and bartenders in there were also very nice and attentive to their jobs. The fron desk staff was great as well and the maid service was great. I highly recommend this hotel whether you are traveling or just taking a weekend getaway as we did.

Room Tip: We loved the 10th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I would suggest anybody considering staying at this hotel read about our experience:

On Sat., Dec. 21st, 2013 we were driving through Amarillo on our way to Missouri. We had reservations at the Ambassador Hotel in Amarillo through Priceline for which I had paid several days earlier. That was the night of a big snow/ice event. We were stuck on the interstate west of the city for hours. When I reached Vega, Texas, just west of Amarillo, I called and the man at the front desk verified our reservations. About 30 minutes later we finally made it to the hotel only to be told our room had been sold to someone else...we weren't the only ones. Several others who had obtained their reservations online through services such as Priceline and Expedia, were turned away...all had already PAID for their rooms. The front desk people Tisha & Becky told us that the online companies had overbooked the hotel. I found out later that was an absolute lie. Companies like Priceline and Expedia are given blocks of rooms and they do not sell more than allocated. During the 90 minutes or so we were at the Ambassador I asked to speak to the manager several times and was told he would be out to talk to me. After requesting an audience with this manager about 5 times, being told he would be right out each time, then waiting for another no-show, I went to the hotel's restaurant where I understood he was located and asked for him. A waitress pointed him out, I approached the manager and asked about my reservation. He told me to let him see it, he took a glance and said "Meet me at the front desk." I went to then waited at the front desk and never saw him again. The ladies at the front desk stuck to their story; the online companies, all of them, had overbooked their hotel and they claimed to be frantically calling them to ask that they stop sending people there.

Again, I found out later that this was all a lie. The manager refused to talk to me or other customers whose rooms had been sold out from under them, he never showed up again. Clearly, this hotel sold all the rooms, probably for much more money, to people who came in off the street without reservations. They turned away their existing customers who had paid reservations...into the night at midnight on streets & an interstate that were completely ice-covered with no hotel rooms available in the entire city and they knew all this from the start. Regarding our own situation, we had no choice; there were no rooms in Amarillo so we drove all night over ice-covered roads then on to Missouri, an additional 550 miles to our destination, arriving at 10 am the next morning having driven for 24 hours.

The Ambassador Hotel's actions showed a ruthless disregard for the safety of their customers and a complete lack of even basic human decency. And of course, they just move on. But I won't be moving on. I plan to pursue this issue as far as possible and to inform as many people as I can who will listen. People should be warned about this hotel chain and about how badly and viciously they can expect to be treated.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay at a hotel with this company if the room were free and my other choice was to sl...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John S

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Kansas
Reviewed 21 December 2013

When I booked this through Priceline Express, I was thrilled to see this beautiful hotel at such a great price. After reading the reviews, I was worried. Not sure what a lot of the reviews are expecting at a Priceline price for a 3 star hotel, but this one was exactly as promised. The main item to note is it is called the Ambassador and not the Grand Hotel. I kept looking for the wrong hotel, and it does not look like this from the outside, just a tall white building. The room was very large, one of the largest from most hotels of this ranking (really, of any ranking for a normal room). It was clean and there were no issues. For the price, I would definitely stay here again when in the area. The food options left something to be desired, but I just ordered in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MLMRocksTravel
Albuquerque
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The overall appearance of the place was nice and seemed grand when we checked in, the room itself deflated that perception. While it was "clean" and a place to lay our heads at night, that's all it had

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Anthony G
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The staff was incredibly nice and tried to accommodate our convention. The lady working the breakfast buffet was terrific. Now for the bad news: I realized my air conditioner was not working at 9:30 p.m. I felt it was too late to move to another room so I asked them to repair the ac and I would stay in the room. The AC was not repairable, so they moved me to another room the next day. Many told me stories about the AC not working well.
The internet was terrible. I had to find a spot near the door of my room and stand to get a signal. This was even true near the front desk.
The morning I was to check out there was absolutely no hot water. Seems that they had a major malfunction. It just topped off a somewhat frustrating stay. Some colleagues stayed at a nearby hotel that was less expensive, newer and they had a better experience. I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Magnuson looked like an earlier version of Embassy Suites. Yes, it was a little dated but the room was large and bed comfy. For a one night stay near downtown it was perfect. They do provide buffet breakfast but we had to check out super early so missed out on that. Price was right!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple