“Part of our 'route 66' experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Garden Amarillo

Wyndham Garden Amarillo
Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
London
“Part of our 'route 66' experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2008

The staff were very friendly and helpful but the hotel does seem a little tired. Our room was an internal room so we had no natural light which obviously made it dark. The inside pool was freezing cold and the spa was chlorine with a splash of water!

• Liked — Friendly,helpful staff
  • Disliked — Room had no natural light
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

Not samazing, but not terrible either. This is a decent hotel, with friendly staff. The location is so-so, but having a TGI Friday next door helps with the food decisions. The rooms are also well presented.

Stayed May 2007
Amarillo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

I was bitten by bed bugs at The Amabassador Hotel on June 26/27 on the seventh floor. I wrote the hotel a letter and cced the health department.

To my dismay, the manager called me and told me that the inspection did not indicate any beds bugs and insinuated I did not get bite at her hotel. I told her they must have done a good job cleaning it up and she insisted it did not happen at her hotel. I was bite over 40 times - per leg! I was awoken at 4AM and 5AM by itching sensations and photographed the bed bugs. I am appalled that the manager denied the incident thus I am compelled to warn others to stay at their own risk!

• Liked — TGI Fridays
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Amarillo45

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

"Guaranteed, confirmed" rooms mean nothing!!. While trying to attend a meeting, with advance reservations and "guaranteed" room, I arrived to find no room in the Inn, at least, not for me!! Although they were checking in flight crews while I was standing there telling them I had guaranteed reservations, they advised me that they gave my room away and the people they were checking in had priorty because they had guraranteed confirmed rooms. Not a very good Ambassador for the City of Amarillo in my opinion. If I should ever be in Amarillo again, I will start out with a hotel that I feel I can trust when they say my reservation is confirmed. It will certainly not be at the Ambassador where even when you are told by the General Manager, Ms Paynes, that your room is guaranteed, it means nothing. You can count me out for ever staying, excuse me, trying to stay at the Ambassador.

Sue C in Austin

• Disliked — There were no accommodations because they didn't really guarantee you a room
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank SueC69
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

This is not a five star hotel by any stretch of the imagination. I waited an hour for the hotel shuttle to transport me to the hotel from the airport. I kept calling and was told the shuttle was coming but the driver told me that he was never informed. Clearly airline crews are top priority for this service. The check in process was so cumbersome because they used stacks of paper to sort through. They assigned me a room which was already occupied. (Amazingly my colleague had the same experience and she checked in 2 hours after me). The front desk didn't even apologize after I had to return twice. I received one bottle of shampoo for amenities. I had a coffee pot in the room, but no coffee so I had to call the desk again. I received someone else's wake up call at 4:30am. The room was tired and the bathtub needed regrouting. The TGIF restaurant on site was fine. I would equate my experience to that of a motel 6 or comfort inn.

• Liked — The lady in the gift shop was nice
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank 57Lulu
Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2008

My friends and I stayed here for a girls night in Amarillo. We booked a room on the concierge floor and the room was very small, very dark and the bathroom was smaller than most Holiday Inn's I've stayed at. I expected more. The ladies working in the concierge room were very nice and free drinks and breakfast gave it the two stars, but I can't really recommend this hotel.

• Liked — concierge floor was nice
  • Disliked — room needed more lighting, bathrooms were very small
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adele C
Albuquerque
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2007

We booked this room through Hotwire. Unfortunately, we had to give the Ambassador Hotel our credit card for incidentals. The less than English speaking employee behind the counter then charged our credit card a second time. So we paid for the one terrible room twice. After trying for a month straight to get our credit card credited I am still battling it out with Ambassador Hotel in Amarillo. Hotwire has been wonderful through this process, but the managers at The Ambassador are very incompetent - especially the overall manager Phyllis. The room was not very clean. The lobby gives the impression it might be a nice stay, but don't be fooled. If this is the best hotel in Amarillo my suggestion it to stay in Dallas !!!!!!

• Liked — The departure
  • Disliked — The arrival
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business