“Pretty Good”

Wyndham Garden Amarillo
Ranked #60 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The hotel entrance/lobby was impressive...indoor pool is nice and the T.G.I.F restaurant as part of the hotel is very convenient. You can also sit and have a full breakfast at the hotel restaurant.

The rooms were roomy and clean but the bathroom fixtures/tub/vents need to be upgraded a.s.a.p. You can tell this was a top notch hotel when it first opened but now the rooms need a little TLC.

The staff was pleasant. I accidently left my credit card behind and when I called they assured me that they would get it to me and they did. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2009

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience at the Ambassador Hotel. We certainly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 1 August 2009

We happened upon this hotel and are so glad we did!! The front desk staff in the evening was outstanding ~ cordial, kind, caring. The workout facilities were great ~ loved the fact that there was a remote to change the channels near the treadmill. Little things were neat ~ like the elevators with a view outside and the yummy breakfast on the concierge level. Wi-fi was free and fast. All in all, a very good experience. We would recommend this hotel to those staying in and passing through Amarillo.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank DesertDweller32

Dear Guest:

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Ambassador Hotel! Our Front Desk staff strives to make every guest feel welcomed. I am happy to hear that you received outstanding service and enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer. Our staff enjoys hearing guest comments such as yours. I will be certain to share your wonderful comments with them.

Reviewed 2 July 2009

TV remotes are aftermarket and do not work correctly.
In room tv guide doesn't match the actual channels.
At least 6th & 7th floor ice machines out-of-order.
Elevators smelled like a fish fry.
Sheets are like gauze - really worn out.
Atrium smelled like sewage.
The front desk staff wasn't rude but I wouldn't rate them as friendly.
Housekeeping did a good job everyday of the stay.
Very weak wifi.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank DenGood
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2009

Dear Guest:

I am so sorry that your experience at our hotel was not acceptable to you. The issues you mention are certainly of concern to us and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention. We have a high approval rating from the majority of our guests, so when we hear of a stay such as yours we are surprised and very concerned.

Unfortunately, there was a gross employee error involved in this incident. The guestroom that you were registered in was placed “out-of-order”, and had been brought back into the system automatically. We should have double-checked the status with the appropriate departments. Rest assured that we have addressed this with the team in order to avoid future incidents of this nature.

Once again I apologize for the problems you encountered while staying with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope you will reconsider and try us again sometime. If so, please contact me directly and I am happy to personally assist you with your reservation and follow up to your stay.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed 25 May 2009

This Hotel should be rated 5 Star! We were treated like royalty and are planning another trip to Amarillo just to stay there. We travel frequently and have paid $300 or more and they were not as nice as this one. It's a keeper on my list.

• Stayed: May 2009
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2009

Dear Guest:

We are so pleased that you chose to stay at The Ambassador Hotel, and that you are planning another trip just to stay with us. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review, and will share your kind comments regarding our service and amenities at our next staff meeting.

Reviewed 26 April 2009

I love this hotel. Absolutely awesome indoor pool and hot tub makes this hotel stand out ---you never know when there will be inclement weather so, it's nice to know we don't have to worry about that here. Super friendly people!!! Thanks a bunch for our relaxing stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate your feedback. So glad you had a relaxing stay and enjoyed our indoor pool, hot tub, and friendly staff. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed 31 December 2008

Nice-looking hotel, but issues with the heating:

Arrived late in the evening and it was 16 degrees F outside.
The room's thermostat was off, so i turned it on for about 20 minutes with no relief.
Called the desk and maintenance arrived to confirm a problem.

I repacked and moved to a nicer room on an upper floor (the "Cattle Baron Concierge Level"). My coworker was given this better room at the same rate, by the way so I figured I was due anyway.

Better furnishings, cleaner room and the heat worked. The ventilation, however was really loud. I absolutely recommend earplugs if you're at all bothered by this type of thing. Wonder if the A/C would act the same in the summer?

Also, would have been nice if they threw me the complimentary breakfast as befits a cattle baron such as myself. They said "no dice" however. Apparently it was a privilege, not a right.

They advertise this as Amarillo's best hotel. Never stayed anywhere else there so I can't confirm, but I'll report back after my next trip there.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 December 2008

I originally booked this hotel as a honeymoon destination on my way up to ski the Rocky Mountains. I was willing to spend money on something luxury and fitting for my new wife and I’s second night together. This is a tall order in Amarillo, TX, but The Ambassador claimed to be “The best of Amarillo” and offer “Luxury Texas star treatment”. I used their website to book a room two months in advance at $99 which was discounted from their normal $130 rate. Upon arriving at 7:15pm I was immediately struck by how beautiful the lobby in the hotel was. The arched glassed ceiling complemented by a large dining area through which an artificial river runs was gorgeous. However, when I got to my room it was surprisingly simple. Other than a nice pillow on the bed there was nothing to set it apart from a normal hotel room. When I entered the bathroom the toilet had been smashed and was in pieces all over the floor. When I told the front desk about this they told me they would move me to an “executive” room on the “exclusive” ninth floor that would give me access to the executive breakfast on the tenth floor in the morning. When I got to “executive room” the door would not open so they had to send someone to teach us the “trick” to open the door. This whole ordeal caused me to miss my 8:00pm dinner reservations. The “executive room” was no different than the normal room although it carries with it a different price tag. So if given the option, DO NOT pay the extra money. In the morning we went to the tenth floor for the executive breakfast. The environment was nice, but the breakfast was poorly staffed, so many of the breakfast items were not stocked and the selection was NO DIFFERENT than the normal continental breakfast in the main lobby. The claims of luxury and star treatment along with high price tags bring with them certain expectation of quality and service which the Ambassador did not meet.

Conclusions:
1. The Ambassador is nothing more than a normal hotel with a pretty lobby.
2. Do not pay more for executive rooms.
3. If you can Priceline a room for $50-$60 it’s worth it; if you pay more than that you are wasting your money.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jranch08