“NOTHING BUT FANTASTIC”

Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Stinnett
“NOTHING BUT FANTASTIC”
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Our Special Olympics Team stayed there before a meet, and it was Fantastic. Staff and food Fanstastic. Very clean.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
Dear Guest:

I was delighted to read your kind comments regarding the Special Olympics Team’s stay at our hotel before their meet. We truly strive to deliver the best in “Southern Hospitality” to each of our guests. I will be certain to share your wonderful remarks with our team about the staff and food being fantastic!

We do hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

The Ambassador Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
California
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We made a late night stop here flying cross country (black lab in tow). It's not the Ritz, but it's a nice bargain and a good place to call home for the night. I cannot say enough about the staff - extremely friendly. Our driver back to the airport was fantastic, and the front desk folks were most helpful.

My only complaint was the breakfast buffet. Needs quite a bit of work (some of the fruit was moldy and not a lot of selection - especially for the price).

As a business hotel, this will do well.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Ambassador Hotel. I was pleased to read that you our staff was friendly and helpful. All of our team strives to provide excellent service and exceed our guests’ expectations. I will be certain to share your kind remarks with the guest service and front desk team members.

I also appreciate your observations regarding our breakfast buffet, and will review your concerns with our Food & Beverage department.

We do hope that you will stay with us again!

Austin
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Stayed at the Ambassador for a business trip...didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel until in the evenings but the rooms were very large and roomy compared with the new LQ's and HIX's. Bed was very comfortable. The only thing that would cause some people problems is that this is an old school hotel and the bathrooms do not have the granite and bright and shiny new fixtures, if you can get over that then this may be the place for you. Breakfast buffet was exceptional with made to order items included and well worth the additional cost. TGI Fridays in the hotel is nice, you don't have to venture out and you can still get dinner and drinks.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Ambassador Hotel. I was especially pleased to read that your accommodations were comfortable, and you enjoyed our Breakfast buffet and TGI Fridays.

We certainly hope that future business trips to Amarillo will bring you back to The Ambassador Hotel.

Dallas
Reviewed 15 February 2010

I was stranded in Amarillo for several days last week due to flight cancelations(snow). The employees at the Ambassador were the friendliest, most accomadating that I have encountered. Sherman, the bell man, far exceeded my expectations in helping and Terresa was wonderful in getting me a room without reservation. Later, Brenda, who runs the conceirge floor loung, was terrific in making a bad day better. On checking out , Stephanie was most understanding of my need for a late check out due to further flight cancelations. You won't find better emplyees than these at any hotel at twice the price.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at The Ambassador Hotel. While it is never fun having your travel plans delayed, I was pleased to read that our staff took great care of you. All of our team strives to provide excellent service and exceed our guests’ expectations. The team members that you made mention of will be thrilled to read your kind words.

We do hope that you will stay with us again!

amarillo
Reviewed 28 January 2010

i travel alot and when i'm in amarillo i always try to stay at the ambassador,if you don't like tgifridays there is a good choice of places to eat around the motel.the motel has always been good for my needs and whats.it is a really good place to stay, and the girls at the front desk are just GREAT!! stephine,norma,megan,and asmaa.i do tell others about this place and to stay when they are i amarillo.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
PPayneAmarillo_Texas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Amarillo, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Ambassador Hotel. I was especially pleased to read of the superb service you received from our front office staff. It was wonderful to read that you recommend The Ambassador Hotel to others traveling to Amarillo.

Texas
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We booked this hotel through hotwire so didn't know anything about it before. It turns out to be one of the best hotels we ever been to. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room is very clean with free wi-fi. We kind of regret that we didn't bring any swimsuit since we noticed there is a very nice in-door pool at the first floor. At check-in time, we were told that the manager just gave us a surprise room upgrade with free breakfast!! If we ever need to go to Amarillo in the future, we will definitely pick this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Ambassador Hotel. I was especially pleased to read of the superb service you received from our staff and was equally pleased to know you found your accommodations comfortable. It is wonderful to know that when making future trips to Amarillo, you would return to The Ambassador Hotel.

adpace
Reviewed 27 December 2009

We booked this hotel for 5 nights for our stay to visit family over the Christmas holiday. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay, but I feel we got a deal on the room rate and I don't think I would have been nearly as pleased otherwise.

The service is great. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The front desk was accommodating with anything we asked of them. The breakfast area staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome even though we arrived late for breakfast.

The lobby/public area(s) were quite a bit smaller than I expected, but still very nice and well-kept. The rooms are spacious and have a general appearance of cleanliness and the bedding is wonderful. I believe they recently purchased new bedding, and it was definitely noticeable - clean, soft linens (duvet & cover). An attached pillow top with feather pillows made these beds comfortable for us.

While a free breakfast would have been nice (I will never understand why rooms you pay the most for will cost you the most for things such as breakfast, etc), the price on the hot buffet was very affordable and the kids eat free! The buffet is nice, but you can also request a made-to-order omelet, french toast or pancakes in addition to what is available on the buffet for no extra cost. Definitely worth it if you were planning to eat out for breakfast anyway.

However, there were a few downsides, as well. As mentioned in several of the other reviews, the bathrooms are definitely in need of updating. The wall paper was peeling slightly in our bathroom and overall, you could tell the bathroom hadn't been updated in some time. That said, I've stayed in many, many places that were in much greater need of updating than this. It wasn't bad - it's just not what you'd expect from the Ambassador.

While everything appeared quite clean overall, there was some hair in the bathroom floor and on the shower curtain. Hardly noticeable except to someone who is a clean freak like myself. As someone who spent a summer cleaning hotel rooms, I know it can be incredibly difficult to get every last piece of hair - still a problem, though, for many guests. And what bothered me most is that we spent 4 nights before I noticed it had been cleaned properly which made me wonder if they were really cleaning everyday.

Another minor annoyance was the broken ice machine and the poor television. The television reception was terrible. Perhaps it was just the age of the TV. But beyond the poor picture, the only buttons that worked on the remote control were the channel "up" button and the volume. You couldn't surf the channels and go back - the numbers didn't work and the "down" button didn't work. Frustrating if you are trying to enjoy in-room relaxation.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again given the right price. I would NOT pay full price for these rooms - at least as it was this time, but we were happy with the stay given what we paid and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Ambassador Hotel. We value feedback from our guests, as it is vital to our effort to provide the very best in guest services and accommodations.

Your kind comments regarding the excellent service you received from our Front Office and Heritage Park staff were greatly appreciated. Our entire team works very hard, and will be thrilled to hear your positive comments!

While I was so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed our spacious rooms and comfortable bedding, I apologize for the concerns that you addressed in your review. Our Engineering Department is responsible for a 265-room hotel, and they strive to adhere to a detailed preventative maintenance program. It appears that your guestroom had several important items that were overlooked. We are grateful that you brought this to our attention, and will ensure that the items you mentioned are addressed.