“OK for one night”
Review of Relax Inn

Relax Inn
Ranked #57 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I'd been driving for almost 12 hours and it was getting late when I decided to stop for the night. My experience was much better than that of those with the worst reviews, but this Motel6 is not the best one in this chain that I've stayed in.

Check in was smooth and the clerk was cordial. The room was clean but surprisingly different from the rooms in other Motel6's where I've stayed. There was no carpet on the floor, which consisted of wood-veneer flooring; the chair in the room was upholstered in some sort of synthetic, plastic-like material (not fabric); even the bedspread had some kind of plastic-feeling material rather than being fluffy and cushy. My first thought was that maybe the room had been treated for bedbugs and the bedbug-attracting materials removed, but I couldn't find any sign of bedbugs in the mattress creases, where they can be evident. The room and bath were clean, and it was late--so I stayed without considering leaving. I wonder if the stripped-down features of the room might be a first step in revamping these room; this is the first modern budget motel I've seen with wood-veneer flooring and no carpet.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank vcv

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I had driven 600 miles and just wanted a clean bed to sleep a few hours before going on. This was a very bad choice, non-smoking room reeked of smoke and dirty feet, the floor was dirty, the sheets were dirty, the sidewalks were nasty and sticky. I tried to sleep with my clothes and shoes on but so much noise there was no way. Cars would pull in, let someone out, leave then come back in 30 minutes. I gave up after an hour, drove West a block to a Walmart and stayed in the parking lot there, much less noise, felt safer there also. this was Motel 6 on South side of I-40.

Room Tip: Please don't get a room here
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My family and I decided to stay here cause we stay here back in early 2000 maybe 2004 or 5, well beside the point, this is not a new loction first of all, and it was alot more friendlier then. the rooms were clean and the free wifi worked just fine. But when we drove in the parking lot we were like what? what happened here. it was creepy and scary. we ask for a non smoking room and as soon as we got to the room there were people smoking right outside the room, our neighbors. I looked at my wife and without a word she knew exactly what I said in my mind, but with our budget we decided just to stay and give it a try. Anyway beside the approach, like I said the rooms were good or fair to say the least, the beds well, hmm. WARNING DO NOT JUMP ON TO THE BEDS, YOU COULD BAKE ANY PARTS OF YOUR BONE. They should have a sign posted. Now to continue the shower made noise like in phsyco, wait to get stabbed, and the toilet flushed once and then you had to wait for about 15 min. to flush again, now that was weird. The first night was ok but the next night wow, before I tell ya'll about it, we went to the pool and it smelled like sewer and looked really run down, Also there were kids diving when it was posted no diving in other words no one was there to tell them to stop before one got hurt which one of them did get hurt. and there was some creepy guy who kept staring at my 13 yr old daughter and was not swimming and not sure he was staying there either, so I looked at him jestered, if he had a problem then he left. Perv. Now for that night, thats where it got scary. There was some nuts that check in and all they did is get drunk and very very very loud, til like 5 am, and there were no security or no one called the cops and the front dont answer the phone to save you. I looked to see who was out there and there were to many people there. I wasnt about to put my family or myself in danger to ask to keep it down, and i mean they were DRUNK! I finally got some sleep as everyone else. We woke up at 945am got ready and zoom zoom out there. I told my family never again are we gonna settle for a phsyco type motel. Oh yeah, we found out the drunk people were from the some town we were from, just knew two of them by face and rep only. All in all to say yes go stay there on the west, NOT!!! Dont even think about it well maybe during the weekday, well idk. As for me and my family we are sticking with Marriot Hotels. Motel 6 for the price, is what you get.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank rd74
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Wow....we checked in, opened the room to check it out....smelled not like a dog, but rather a dog kennel, dirty floors, bed looked like someone had been laying on it, crumbs on bed....and HAIR on pillow (and not just head hair)......GROSS!!! Dirty bathtub too! The motel was almost empty....and I can see why. We got a refund and found another place in Amarillo. If you go to the Motel 6 website, it lists this one as "New Location". Well the location may be new to Motel 6, but the property is quite old. Keep on driving......

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dcraw999
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed here on a family trip from Oregon to Louisiana, this was our last night in a hotel on our way to Louisiana. After driving for 13 hours we were so looking forward to a relaxing night and some swimming in the pool. With the pictures online and the fact that on their website it said "new location" we thought it would be perfect for our tight trip budget and generally the motel 6's that we have stayed in before are decent for the price. This was horrible, it was the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. It was a very small room, the floor hadn't been swept in who knows how long. The linens on the bed were filthy, there was lipstick on the pillows and I am not sure what else everywhere else. There were stains in and around the bathtub that we are not sure of and drink stains on the dresser and around the sink. The swimming pool was just as gross, there was algae growing on the bottom of the pool, sunflower seed shells floating on top, it was awful. The noise was tremendous, people yelling at one an another until 2am, probably after but at that point we could not stand it any longer so we left. We were in this room for approximately 8 hours and just couldn't stand it any longer, we didn't even take our clothes or shoes off it was that bad! The only reason I gave it a poor rating instead of a terrible is because the lady at the front desk was very friendly and nice and the TV in the bedroom was decent size, other than that I would NEVER recommend this motel 6 to anyone! The topper was the online claim of "new location" I thought oh it is a brand new Motel 6, it will be so nice...YIKES, I was very scared and the whole hour of sleep I tried to get I had one eye open!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank smalltimetraveler08
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Okay the rooms were a bit on the small side. It did look clean despite one or two drops of blood stains in the tiny bathroom. Tv was standard. Furniture looks a little old. Our main problem was the bed. It might be with king size only beds but I seriously think sleeping on a piece of ply board would of been more comfty. That bed was so hard! Ur sleeping buddy could be standing up jumping up and down and you wouldn't feel a thing! But not nice in the memory foam way. They have us three flat pillows also.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 13 February 2010

I could not believe this place was open for business. First of all, we had a terrible time finding it. When we called the hotel for directions from the freeway, the desk person was of no help and just kept telling us where to exit. We knew that already, even our written directions and GPS couldn't find it. Then when we finally saw the place we were shocked. The entire outside of the building is being held up by metal and wood braces wrapped in yellow caution tape. Check my pictures. It was late and I had just driven 600 miles with my 2 daughters and dog, we also had a reservation so we didn't want to lose money and stayed anyway. Even the other guests who were also checking in were shaking their heads! They couldn't believe it either. This place should be closed until they're done renovating before someone gets hurt! Tiny rooms and my bed was up against the heater! My first time in TX and I couldn't wait to leave! And you have to pay extra for the WiFi. An excellent example of you get what you pay for......what kind of housing codes do they have in TX anyway? The only good thing was the rooms were clean at least. Thank God.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family