“Partial Remodel Only”

Ranked #15 of 62 Hotels in Arlington
PARK RIDGE
“Partial Remodel Only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Pulling up to the hotel, the parking lot was clean and spacious and looked good, the outside of the building looked clean and freshly painted. Entering the hotel the lobby looked great, just like the pictures. The staff was extremely friendly. So those are the good things.......when I got to the room, at first glance it looked very nice, and for the most part it was. The bathroom was a little old and worn out looking. Peeling wall paper in spots, spots of peeling paint on the ceiling, tub looked dirty although it was probably just old and cant be cleaned to look new. Towels in bathroom were small and I didn't feel like they were clean. Either they were dirty or they were just old and maybe weren't cleaned using bleach? The room was pretty clean but I didn't feel the bed was that clean either. A few discolored spots on the sheets which again, im not sure if they were not clean, or just cleaned poorly or were maybe old and cant look clean anymore. Overall a decent hotel for the money, but if they carried the renovation of the lobby and outside into the rest of the rooms, mainly the bathrooms and some new bed linens, it would be much nicer. Also, the WIFI was WORTHLESS......I was told at the front desk that it was in the process of getting upgraded and that is why it wasn't working? Not sure how true that was. I had to take my laptop into the business center and take the Ethernet cable out of their computer in order to do any work. Not convenient for a business traveler, especially because the business center was as cold as a walk in freezer. There was also not pens and paper in the business center. I asked at the front desk and they dug through a drawer to give me an old pad from when the hotel was a best western. I asked why there weren't any and the guy said that "people will just take them" Gee, talk about cheap, how much do little pads and pens cost? Probably worth it for the people who need to use them in there. That explains why they only did a partial renovation and left some parts old and dirty. The staff was very nice and friendly though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I both loved the service and kindness from all the staff at the the hotel! Alex at the front desk was so helpful and made it an absolute pleasure for us to stay there. Will definitely be going back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Fremont, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

When we got to the hotel we were given a room on the lower level. But due to the remodeling, and severe allergies, we requested a different room and the person at the front desk was very accommodating and cheerful. All the staff was very helpful and did everything immediately, with a smile. They were also very helpful with our transportation needs and directions.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at the hotel two times so far. The front desk has been very accommodating to our needs. It's affordable and close to the highway. For major events, they will provide a shuttle to the Cowboys/Rangers stadium. If a shuttle is not available, you can get a cab for around $8 to the stadium. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014
Lampasas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I chose this hotel for a recent two night stay because it was convenient to the Rangers Ballpark and other activities we were planning. It also had some pretty good reviews and seemed to be a small independent hotel which can be really good. Wrong! We had a less than friendly check-in and overheard a woman checking out after just a few minutes in her room because of some noxious fumes that she was reacting to. Hoping she was just sensitive, i went ahead a checked in to my "recently renovated executive double room". The elevators and hallway needed some attention from the cleaning staff and when we stepped out on the 5th floor, there was a musty smell I couldn't really identify. The carpets had not been vacuumed in a while as there were bits of paper, threads and other flotsam that looked like too much for just a few hours of traffic. The room was also musty smelling but it looked pretty clean. Refurbished it was not! Maybe in 2005. This is located in a semi industrial zone across the freeway from the General Motors plant. It is located well for the ballpark but there are a lot of nice hotels just a block on the other side of the interstate. When I asked for a recommendation for a 'NICE" restaurant, preferably a locally owned, with a nice wine list, the front desk folks all mentioned a particular TexMex place even after I said I wasn't interested in TexMex tonight. They had a list of chain restaurants and seemed perplexed by what I was asking. (We actually found Cacherals on our own) The did try.
I was hopeful about the breakfast, since there was a mention of it being good. Not so much. It was one of the worst "make your own" breakfasts i have encountered...it had pre-packaged breakfast burritos, barely thawed out bagels with only grape jelly in those little packs, , a coffee machine that had push buttons for the kind of coffee you wanted (dreadful) and one of those cook-it-yourself waffle makers that some poor guy was chiseling his waffle out of. I didn't try the pool or the gym because i was turned off with the lack of cleaning in the other areas. There was still some of the same flotsam on the carpets when we were checking out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Not knowing anything about the area, I chose this hotel because we were going to see some Yankees/Ranger games and the hotel was 1.4 miles from the stadium which I thought was totally walkable. It is not, the city is not designed for pedestrians like a D.C or NY is. I also saw the hotel had decent reviews. That being said this hotel is also on the corner of "good block - bad block" (as we were told by a cabbie) but it really did not bother us, we've stayed in the heart of DC and Miami and this area was absolutely fine in comparison.

The staff here is superior, genuinely thankful that we chose to stay there, and attentive to anything we needed. I wish I remembered all of their names because they were all fantastic! The restaurant/bar staff were also outstanding. My 16 year old and I went in each day before the game and each night after the game. They were so friendly (even though we were head to toe in Yankees gear) talking to us about music/football/baseball and their predictions for the series....they opened earlier (3pm instead of 4) and stayed open later because the hotel was sold out due to the Yankees being in town. They remembered us each time we came in and made us feel like it was our local hang out. The nachos and onion rings are crazy good, and we really like our nachos so I don't say that lightly. The music, staff, and food are going to make us miss this place.

Also, since both my son and I are running a half marathon soon, we were so excited to see this place had a ridiculous weight room. I am not kidding, I swear they took some local high school's weight room and put it in the basement of this hotel. They have everything you could imagine, I mean when was the last time you stayed at a hotel with a squat machine....yep never.

Room has everything you need, comfortable, good water pressure, I didn't hear noise from neighbors and every room was booked with us loud NYers, so that's saying something. Free breakfast is not bad cereal, pastries, fruit, waffle maker, bagels and some breakfast burritos my son ate.

The only negative was you could not walk anywhere (ballpark or Cowboys stadium or even six flags), but Arlington has UBER, so you do not have to rely on cabs and that was good because we only used 1 and had a typical bad cabbie experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights for the On the Run tour and ended up going to the Ripley's Museum because of how close it was. The lobby was impressive, but once we went up to our rooms, the hallways had a pungent smell that I can't really describe unless you go there (we were on the 6th floor).

Pros:
* A/C could make you feel like you were in Alaska
* clean rooms
* wi-fi router for every floor (so it was pretty speedy)
* huge gym
* nice lobby area
* hotel offered shuttle services (which saved us from paying parking and got us back to the hotel after the concert in about 15 minutes IN TRAFFIC).
* No trouble with parking

Cons:
* Shuttle service was reviewed by many past guests and they said it was free, but when we went, it was $15 per person. They were probably trying to bank off of the concert, but yeah.
* They charged us a $50 deposit (which was not mentioned when booking). We didn't mind so much because we had the money (and it gets refunded to you after a few days), but if someone was tight on cash, it would could a damper on the mood.

If you're into customer service: The blonde woman with the long bob was nice, but seemed rehearsed and didn't make much eye contact. She was fast though, so nothing to complain about.

However, apart from all of these minor things, it was an awesome time in Arlington and being at the Blue Cypress was a big part of that. All these things don't really affect the experience, so unless you're being picky, it's a great place to stay because of location and amenities. We would stay again!

Room Tip: Keep off of the first and second floors to avoid noise from the club.