“Friendly staff, great value”

Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Athens
“Friendly staff, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

All was as expected during our two-night family stay at this hotel. No complaints here! The pool and hot tub are up and running. Would definitely stay here again. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping and a grocery store nearby as well as a movie theater.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susienashie
Rick K, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Athens, TX. We are so glad you enjoyed your experience and look forward to serving you again in the near future. Stay Smart.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We were travelling to a wedding, with an 8-year-old that really wanted to swim. I called before we left and asked Tiffany if the pool was working, as there were some ratings on Trip Advisor that complained about the pool not being available. She said, sure, it was working fine. Well.....it was a pretty lame, teeny tiny indoor pool that another staffer said hadn't worked "in months". Fortunately, other members of the wedding party were staying down the street at the Best Western, which had a nice outdoor pool. So, if a pool is important to you, go to the Best Western. Also, we were there for four nights, and for two out of the four days the wi-fi was down. Whenever anyone asked about it, the "technicians had just been called". Rooms were OK, breakfast was fine. I booked online, and I paid more than if I had booked directly with the hotel- sort of insult to injury. If you're just staying for one night, and don't care about swimming, this place is fine. It is independently owned and operated, and isn't doing the Holiday Inn franchise any favors.

Room Tip: Try the Best Western, just a little further down E Tyler.....
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wingbean
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear wingbean,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the pool. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as this will be looked into immediately. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Irving, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The rooms are decent and nice staff. The best value in town, compared to other hotels there. Good breakfast, and close by the Fairgrounds, which is the main reason I travel to Athens (for horse shows). I highly recommend this Holiday Inn

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank starrybear
Danny S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for the great review!

We have a great relationship with the Fairgrounds folks and welcome you back anytime you come to the area.

Thanks again!

COLLEGE STATION
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

the general manager, Rick, greeted me upon arrival. I questioned the rate he gave me, believing I had booked online for less. I had forgotten to bring my confirmation sheet. He tried to check with the national office, but they showed the same rate. even though I could not prove I had booked for a lower rate, he trusted that I was being honest and gave me the lower rate I remembered. I am not used to that kind of service! the room was very nice, and the scrambled eggs and crisp bacon were a real treat for breakfast. the dining area is very spacious. I recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor to avoid the typical "floor stomping".
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CHUCK T
Good afternoon Chuck. Thank you for the fantastic review! We always strive to make every guest happy and it sounds like that's exactly what Rick did. He's a great member of our team and will appreciate the positive feedback.

We always strive to be the best so we'd love to know what we can do to get the higher score in Value and Sleep Quality.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at the Holiday Inn Express Athens!

Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Athens over Easter weekend to visit family nearby. The hotel is fairly new and the rooms are clean. The breakfast is free but just the usual standard hotel breakfast. (Some hot food). The hallways weren't the cleanest and I saw a laundry room near the elevator that was really dirty. Other than those two complaints, the hotel served its purpose: a safe, clean place to stay while visiting family. Not many options in Athens, this may be the best choice.

1 Thank Robert C
Hello and thank you for the great review!

We always want our guests to have an amazing experience. We had a meeting with our executive housekeeper this week and have a better plan to keep our hallways and laundry area clean.

We look forward to seeing you and your family at the Holiday Inn Express Athens in the future!

Athens, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I had a 2 night stay here as I'm a PC Platinum member with points to burn and the inlaws we were visiting had a full house. Overall I liked the place but there were some small issues. Greeting was great, they upgraded me to an expanded room/suite which was nice. They had a food reception the night I arrived which was a nice touch. Room was clean and with the upgrade spacious. However the caulk on the bathtub was fraying. Pool was out of service - I gather from the other reviews this has been a chronic issue for the property. Breakfast was standard HI Express fare - filled you up nicely although I really wish the chain could throw in a gluten free cereal option as I was with my GF sensitive kid this time.

1 Thank Paul M
Rick K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
I do apologize for the pool area being closed due to refurbish, but the pool area is now open. In addition to this we have also received new fitness equipment! I will make the suggestion for the gluten-free cereal during our next meeting. Thank you so much for your suggestion. We always appreciate your feedback, and look forward to serving you once again during your next stay.
Granbury, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

The rooms were clean,BUT, the pool and hot tub weren't working and one of the dryers wasn't working.

Housekeeping didn't leave toilet tissue in our room one night, so I ask the front desk to bring some to us. She said she would right away, but never did. I went to the front desk to ask for it, and she said (while she was texting on her phone) that she was just swamped! PLEASE!

Location is good, near restaurants and shopping center, but wouldn't stay here again!

1 Thank Elaine P
Rick K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Mrs. P I do apologize immensely for your inconvenience during your recent stay. I will address this issue immediately. As always we strive to offer our guests the best service possible. I assure you this will not happen again. I thank you for your feedback. It is only through your comments and suggestions that we can better serve you and improve our service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
BEST WESTERN Plus Royal Mountain Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Athens
Tara Inn
Tara Inn
#2 of 5 in Athens

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!