“Peaceful surroundings”

Ranked #11 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Texas
“Peaceful surroundings”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Personal get away to Austin for 2 nights. Stayed in the SoCo Room in the main house. Very welcoming atmosphere exudes from this place. Would love a cup of the espresso served at breakfast right now! Very convenient to South Congress and all it offers. Backyard is oasis in the midst of a busy city. Hosts were away but I received excellent care from their surrogates. Will have to return to meet them as I can definitely see a return visit here!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed in the Carriage House which was a large room in a duplex on the property of this cute bed and breakfast. Espresso and coffee machines in the room, along with a small fridge. Clawfoot tub, no standup shower in the room (heavy curtain, no door for bathroom, only drawback). Really enjoyed the outdoor (shared) shower just outside the room. Vegetarian full breakfast served on the patio, poolside, just outside our room daily or eat in the main house if the weather is a little chilly. Location is fabulous, within walking distance of all the SoCo restaurants and eclectic shops. Within a mile walk of downtown Austin, which is just across the bridge. Property is very lush with beautiful garden and natural pool. Chicken coop on-site for fresh eggs, never heard a peep (pun-intended) out of the cluckers. Laid-back, cool B&B.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Charles, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2012

If you are going to Austin, I can't imagine a better place to be. It's just blocks from probably the coolest neighborhood in Austin, yet it is secluded and quiet with beautiful foliage. The rooms are so quaint and beautifully decorated. They have thought of every little detail you might need. (Coffee maker, and espresso machine). I truly can't say enough good things about this magical spot. We loved it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizatess
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I found Park Lane accidentally on the internet when looking for a romantic retreat for me and my boyfriend. We were having dinner downtown that night at Uchi, along with seeing a play, and didn't want to drive all the way back up north. Park Lane is literally in the middle of it all, but on a private street with little traffic in a tiny neighborhood.

We stayed in the largest room, I believe, with a kitchen/living room that were separate from the bedroom and a beautiful bathroom. They were all spotless and pristine. My boyfriend and I loved the dual showerhead shower and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, so much so I actually took a brochure to purchase one. The grounds were beautiful and quaint and I wished it could have been summer so we could have enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and there was coffee in our room for us to make on our own, which I enjoy because I am a coffee snob. It was also local Austin coffee that I would have bought myself, which made me feel even more at home.

I will admit that the owners of Park Lane seemed a bit icy, but I wasn't there to be best friends with them. I was there to have a romantic night with my boyfriend and Park Lane offered us that.

I am sad that I left a bottle of beer that my boyfriend and I purchased (a very rare beer we intended to age) and even went back for it after calling and it was nowhere to be found. But, it was a bottle of beer not a diamond ring (though to my boyfriend you would have thought differently) so I guess it could be worse.

Room Tip: The Vicki is the only "stand alone" room. If you want the ultimate in privacy, it would be...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelingkittens
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The descriptions on the property's website are quite accurate. The rare complaints I see here are from people who frankly would be bothered by staying at a place like this anyway. The cottage we were in was peaceful, beautiful and the location is terrific -- within easy walking distance of the South Congress Street scene. Breakfasts are very good and the innkeeper is friendly without being intrusive. This really is a special place and I loved it, but I could also see how it could set some peoples' teeth on edge. Just understand what you're getting and if you *think* you'll be happy there, you'll be happy there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frobozz
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We travel to Austin about once a year to visit family and take in the music scene. Finding a place to stay had always been a hassle, until we found the Park Lane. The rooms are gorgeous, and well-appointed, with everything you might need (including the cowboy hat to keep out the sun). It is located in a quiet, residential area, and the guest rooms surround a lovely patio with a swimming poor and a giant Live Oak offering generous shade. We could walk easily everywhere we needed to go, from Congress street to our friends' homes. AND the FOOD was spectacular. We made our own coffee in our room (something I appreciated being able to do, because I don't really want to interact with anyone before coffee), and were served at a patio table poolside. Our hostess appeared brusque at first, but warmed up considerably once we got to know her. And can she cook! Each breakfast was a delight!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Terra Bella, California
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My wife and I spent a good deal of time in Austin during college. We like to "get away" to Austin every now and again to recharge and enjoy the city. My wife loves the SoCo area of town, so this year we decided to try a B&B in the area instead of a boring old hotel.

I hoped we made a good choice with Park Lane, and wow! Were we ever pleased! The service is impeccable and invisible. Breakfast arrives at a prearranged time with a knock on the door and it is wonderful.

Park Lane is just two blocks off South Congress, but you'd never know it by the quiet of the neighborhood. The Carriage House was perfect for the two of us, with the pool literally right out the door and the great outdoor shower right there, too.

The location is just right for dancing the night away at the Continental Club, or for a relaxing break after hitting all the shops up and down the street. Give Shakti (and the pups!) a shot, and you won't want to leave.

Room Tip: The Carriage House has a great outdoor shower just out the door by the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple