“A little under-whelming this time...too dark to see bats”

Congress Avenue Bridge / Austin Bats
Ranked #10 of 327 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Austin bridge is where nearly 1.5 million bats live.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I LOVE watching the bats, but this time the bats were coming out close to nine at night, which made it hard to see when the bats emerge en masse from the bridge. Still cool to watch, thought

There are newer reviews for Congress Avenue Bridge / Austin Bats

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We went on a July evening right before sunset. The best view is closer to the middle of the bridge. I saw 20 or 30 come out and fly around for 10 minutes and I was ready to go. We were on the far side and it didn't seem that interesting.

My Austin friend told me to walk to the center, where it was more crowded. I was overwhelmed! They POUR out from the bridge and the sky is dotted block. It was simply stunning. And, it just keeps going and going.

Be warned, the closer you get the more you will need an umbrella. It's not for the rain. Also a bat flew about six inches from my head. Wow! Bring a blanket and a picnic, it's a good time for free!

3  Thank ShellyN2
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Always wanted to see the bats. We did. It was pretty fantastic. I would recommend grabbing a picnic dinner and a blanket to wait for them. It was a bit like labor in that you just were not sure when it was going to happen, but it would eventually! I think if I lived in Austin I would take visiting friends and family but my own trips would be limited. Cool thing for kids. Mine (ages 10 and 12) were bored waiting...should have taken food!
The majority came out after sunset. Take some mosquito spray for yourself.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We took our grandkids (11-12) to see the bats while overnighting in Austin. All the boat tours were booked so we paid $5 to park in the American Statesman parking lot and threw a beach towel down on a grassy hillside, beside the Congress St. bridge and along the river.

There was a large crowd there that only grew larger as dusk approached. We were entertained by an Elton John look alike who pulled his little piano down the hill, complete with funky hat, sunglasses and candles. I'm certain he was a college student and quite the entrepreneur, but he was very talented indeed! Of course, there were the usual hawkers of ice cream, glow sticks and other carnival paraphernalia and even an older gentleman taking donations in exchange for a bottle of water to feed the baby bats...really! So, our two grandkids at least got a show because, needless to say, they weren't impressed by the bats.

By the time the bats began coming out, it was too dark to take photographs and they could only be seen in the back light of the city's buildings. Thank goodness the tour boats had lights that were shown under the bridge and you could see the bats swarming out. And yes there are a ton of them.

After about 30 minutes we were ready to head out, along with a thousand other people, and waited in traffic to exit. All in all, the experience did not live up to the hype, in my opinion, so I would say..."been there, done that...never again!"

1  Thank pednurse
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was a pretty cool experience. I would suggest checking out the bats from the water view. I have to admit, I was expecting something totally different but it was still great.

1  Thank ayanna520