“Interesting”

Ranked #41 of 348 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Austin bridge is where nearly 1.5 million bats live.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

So we can say we did it...that's about all. The smell atop the bridge is terrible, but considering the number of bats emerging from the underside, it is understandable.

Standing on the bridge (you're on the sidewalk) with children would not be advised as vehicles are driving in the lane hugging the sidewalk.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,455)
All reviews
in 50 reviews
"batman"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is the iconic Congress bridge Bat view experience, most people in Austin have done it and take anybody that visits the city to experience :)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I would not have gone to watch this but my wife wanted to and I would follow her anywhere. First of all, standing on the bridge is neat. Lots of folks show up and we are all just waiting for the 'event'. Then, at a similar time every evening, millions of bats fly out from under the bridge and out across the city skyline. I was really stunned and glad I was able to witness the magnitude and grandeur of it all. It was romantic to be there with a loved one and surprisingly interesting as well.

2  Thank RussellBee
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The last time I saw the bats was in 2000 and it was amazing, absolutely thousands of them flying out from under the bridge in large groups. This time, a few weeks ago, waited 20 minutes with lots of other people on the bridge, which is normal, but quite a lot of people on pleasure cruiser looking vessels in the river with loud people, mainly men, shouting for the bats to come out. I know this will not have deterred the bats but it was very annoying. Eventually some bats appeared and flew straight to the trees on the river bank and we hardly saw any, they certainly didn't fly off into the sky as I have previously seen many years ago. Can't blame the bats but the idiots on the boats were a pain.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had no idea this was even a “thing” when planning our Texas trip. A million bats that fly out from under the Congress Street Bridge every evening at dusk??? Crazy. And cool! We got there about 45 minutes before dusk to “reserve” our spot on the bridge. You can pay to park on the south east side of the bridge at the Austin American-Statesman newspaper building. Once the bats started coming out we watched for about 15 minutes or so then went down under the bridge to get a view from there. The bats were still flying out. It can take 30+ minutes for them all to fly out. I definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Austin.