“Worst Residence Inn Ever”

Residence Inn Austin South
Ranked #93 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orange County, CA
“Worst Residence Inn Ever”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I stay at Marriott Properties all over the country. I've stayed at every type of property as well and never had as bad an experience as I did at this property. The property is old and in serious need of a remodel. As I entered the room, it had a pungent smell. I was only there one night so I decided to just open the windows, turn on the air and get going....I was pressed for time and didn't have the opportunity to deal with room changes. I immediately left for a meeting and returned that evening. After further review, I noticed the carpeting was filthy and had several stains. The kitchen counter was also filthy as was the stove. When I attempted to shower....there was NO HOT WATER. I called the front desk to find out they were aware of the issue, were awaiting parts and did not offer any solution. They also failed to tell me this upon check-in which while wouldn't have solved the problem, I would have had an option to do something about it. While in the cold shower, I noticed mold on the ceilings and on the wallpaper in the bathroom. In general, I would say the property was filthy, the PC in the lobby was slower than my cell phone for pulling my airline web page, the dinner/evening snack is only served 3 days per week....this night had "deli sandwiches.". One of the worst experiences in a Residence Inn I've ever had. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank ExitRowAisle
RISouth, Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
ExitRowAisle,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the experience you had at the Residence Inn, but please know that we have been working very hard to improve the quality of our rooms and our guest's overall stay.

As of February, we have been completely renovated (please see the pictures), and we have also replaced the boiler to ensure that our guests have plenty of hot water.

We would love the opportunity to host your stay next time you are in the Austin area.

Warm Regards,
Heather Isaac
Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Ask for a room away from the highway side. It is so loud all night. Also the auto temp regulator turns on the fan periodically, and it is so loud also, then it stops. Then it starts. Stops. Starts. But the folks w ho work here are awesome. If I could stay downtown, I would do that!

• Stayed September 2011
georgia
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I am a Marriott platinum member and stayed here with my team (normally stay at Full Service Marriott nearby) but although rooms need updating(same furniture as was here 5 yrs ago) rooms are clean and comfortable. A/C was great in the two weeks I was in Austin temps were 105-109 and I was able to keep room comfortable. They did upgrade TVs on my 10th day to newer 32" LCDs. This is a pet (Dog) friendly hotel and I was foutunate enough to be on the dog floor but I like dogs.

• Stayed August 2011
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Staff=top knotch friendly, #1 in customer service! Always above and beyond (I travel often & usually stay at Holiday Inn)
Amentities=pool was a bit small, but was always clean and stocked w clean towels.
Breakfast & Social hour= welcoming and perfect way to begin and end our day. Mark was awesome and tentative to our children's request.
Location= easy access to interstate.
Friends paid >$2200 for a house rental during our week here and came to visit us

• Stayed June 2011
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 25 February 2011

As a Marriott Platinum I have gotten accustomed to quality properties however this isn't one of them. Carpet, furniture and towels are tired and old. Gives an appearance of unclean...even if it is. Cheap on amenities like toilet paper, tissue paper and towels.The check in guys was very nice but they need to renovate here badly. I do think I have a higher standard and this may be fine for some but this to me doesn't fit Marriott's image.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank matthewedward
RyanPlain, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our hotel. I am sorry that the condition of our facilities did not live up to your expectation. We are scheduled for a full renovation starting in December 2011, and would love it if you would come and visit us again after completion.

Ryan Plain
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I am an admitted Marriott loyalist but am willing to take them to task when necessary. My one day stay recently was very pleasant primarily because of the staff. They are professional and willing to help beyond what is needed. Definitely will stay here again. Now, a few quibbles: The televisions need to be updated and the hotel does show its age in spots. An earlier review complained of lack of cleanliness and lumpy beds. I have no complaints about either. I do a bed bug check before I accept a room and the mattress is a pillow top that appears new.
One of my pet peeves with Marriott is inconsistent wifi. It worked well here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We spent a long weekend in Austin for a wedding and had some extra time to check out the city. The hotel location is great! It is very close to all the restaurants and nightclubs plus it's just a few blocks from the river with walking areas. We could easily walk to these locations. The rooms are nicely decorated/totally up to date and we appreciated having space to spread out. It is great to have a separate sitting area, kitchen and bedroom.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple