“Best Hotel in Austin”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“Best Hotel in Austin”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Residence Inn Austin South was a great hotel. They had clean rooms, friendly service, and great location. We especially enjoyed the luxury of having our own kitchen, living room, and living room after a long day of site seeing in Austin.

I was very pleased with the overall experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Josh R
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. It was a pleasure having you here and I am very delighted that we could meet all of your expectations. We are always striving for our guests to be comfortable and feel like part of our family. I am happy we succeeded that with your stay. Take care and I look forward to seeing in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very nice lobby with a welcoming and accomodating staff. Great location that is very close to downtown just a few miles down the road on I-35. Room was well cleaned and great design. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite and it worked perfect for us with a 1 year, he was able to take naps in the other room while we were in the living area. Love the full kitchen with everything you need to make a quick lunch or dinner. The complimentary breakfast was wondeful both mornings, the cooks in the kitchen are very diligent of restocking food. All staff was very nice and made our family feel welcomed. Would definitely return to this location again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley R
Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property. Your home away from home is our overall goal for our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed while they are traveling. We are larger than an average hotel room and do have 3 different room type options to choose from ranging from our open air floor plan studio, to a one bedroom that provides a dividing door and wall for a little more privacy, up to our two bedroom suite that includes two separate bedrooms and bathrooms and all of our rooms have a kitchenette. We are conveniently located off of South IH-35 via exit 229 Stassney Lane. We are approx. 4.5 miles from downtown, 6 miles from the airport and approx. 7 miles from the University of Texas. We also do offer complimentary breakfast each morning and a M-W hospitality hour that includes a light dinner and well as complimentary beer, wine, and soda.
We look forward to seeing you again!
Denton, Tx
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was our third time at this property in the last 5 years and each time has been enjoyable. This time I was a little high maintenance and really appreciated the extra help from Fiona and Julian at the front desk. First challenge was when I realized I left my iPhone charging 'cube' at home and my phone AND iPad were dying. No problem...Fiona graciously loaned me the manager's personal cube long enough to get everything recharged. Next problem, I stupidly purchased pizzas that had to be baked instead of microwaved. We were on the verge of ordering pizza to be delivered and wasting what I had just purchased when once again they came to my rescue and opened the kitchen to me so I could bake the pizzas! As I profusely declared my appreciation, they graciously said they were glad to help...and meant it! The breakfast area has been recently updated and is very comfortable and inviting. Yes, the property is on the highway but I was never bothered by road noise in the rooms and was only slightly aware of it even at the pool. Our room was clean and comfortable and seemed recently updated. My only issue was the tv service which is a corporate decision, no doubt. The choices were very limited in free channels appropriate for our 7 year old grandson and movies for him were $14.99 on the average, and 'kid's cartoon packages' were $9.99 for less than 30 minutes of viewing! More, cheaper options would have been appreciated for the younger kids. Having said that, though, I will definitely be back for the sevice alone!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Greetings,

Thank you so much for your kind and positive words about the hotel staff. I am very lucky to have such a great team at the Residence Inn that cares about our guests as much as they do. Fiona, Julian, and the team truly make my job easier.

In March of 2012 we did compIete a renovation of our hotel that did include expanding our breakfast area. With the renovation we were able to expand the breakfast seating as well as include more items on our complimentary breakfast buffet. I know how important it is to start the day with a good meal so we have included scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, Texas shaped waffles, a daily “made for you” item, as well as all of the Residence Inn favorites you might be accustomed too.

As you mentioned we are ideally located off of IH-35 with easy via exit 229. We are approx. 4.5 miles from downtown, 6 miles from Barton Springs, and 7 miles from the University of Texas.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Warm Regards,

Arlington
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Nice lobby hotel, bad location in general. Near I 35 lot of sound pollution and as a result do not breath too deep. Garbage near property, it smells bad and at night roaches roaming sidewalks. Inside dark and dreary, hard to get to, stayed there for 4 nights, will never go there again, service OK, could be better. Appliances old and loud.

Room Tip: none, sorry
Green Features: old plumbing, uses ton a water for one flush of toilet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience with us. Our location does allow very close access to I35 for those travelling to, from or around Austin and a lot of our guests choose us based on this factor alone. We are truly sorry as a team that we let you down in regards to your recent experience with us and would love for you to give us another chance. We have VERY recently had a new management change and we will definitely taking your feedback on board to better serve you.

Please could you contact me personally whenever you are next planning a trip to Austin!

Chris Hammons
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Hotel staff was really good. especially Ernesto. He greeted us and made us feel welcome and was always helping us during our extended stay. he gave grat custromer service. Rooms were well designed and clean. maid and Kitchen service was also very good. Maria in the kitchen was asnother excellent employee.

Room Tip: Get a romm inthe back of hotel. I35 is really noisy
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us! I can personally assure you Ernesto, Maria and the rest of the team will be informed of another great Trip Advisor review on their guest interactions. Making you feel welcome is part of our team goal of providing a ‘Home away from home experience’ each and every time you stay!

We hope to see you back again soon!

Regards,

Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Arrived as it was the closest hotel to Downtown Austin that I could get for 3 weeks. Its in a "Marriott Village" (5 different Marriotts here) with really nothing around in walking distance. Must have a car or rely on the shared shuttle service, which I find only goes downtown on certain times/days, and not much else. Avoid I35 if you have to get into the City, instead use South Congress. As for the hotel, not well maintained. Rooms are your standard Residence Inn; nothing special. Elevator lobby has an unusual odor about it. They re-did the floors of the elevator while I was staying; cheap imitation wood. Only 1 laundry for the whole place, and found got busy on Sunday evenings. There is no hottub, even though say there is. They have replaced it appears with a built in grill, which I used regularly. The noise poolside is too loud.(Pool is on highway side of hotel with no buffer really), and very small in size. Enough to put toes in, but that's about all. Nightly Manager social is only held 3 nights (Mon-Wed) with basics, but always had a salad and some wine. Ernesto at the front desk, and Heather in the Officer are both very welcoming. Parking free was a plus (in Downtown, you must pay), and room maid service was above standard. Oh, and they are pet friendly (although I only saw two rats called dogs that weren't too friendly themselves)

Room Tip: If you can get towards the back of the building you will hear less highway noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. We are located in what you would call a ‘Marriott’ village with us being one of five different brands to choose from in the area. We are designed for long term stay offering a family ‘home away from home’ experience. We are one of the few Marriott’s in Austin offering a shuttle service and this is typically a big hit with our guests looking for convenient and complimentary travel in and out of Austin city center. As you mentioned, we did very recently re-model the hotel and a lot of our regular guests absolutely love the new ‘updated’ feeling we have to our property. Our evening social does rotate on a 28 day calendar so whether you are here one night or 28 you are likely to have a different taste each evening. For future reference, our guests can always use the facilities at our sister properties if preferred (Laundry, Pool) as we always welcome guests from our hotel next door (Courtyard) wanting to use our outdoor facilties vs indoor. In regards to the hot tub, we did recently change this facility and removed the hot tub . Just like many hotels in Texas, with changes in governmental regulation and customer preference declining our owners thought it would be in both the hotel and guests best interests to remvoe the hot tub. Thank you for the feedback too with Heather and Ernesto, I will be sure to share this with them.

We hope to see you again whenever you are next in Austin!

Kindest Regards,

Port Neches, Texas, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This was my first time to stay at this facility and I found it to be exceptional. Ernesto helped me with directions to the facility and greeted me warmly when I arrived. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. They accept pets as well, which is nice to know. I highly recommend this facility for price, location, and comfort.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn L
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us! A ‘spacious, clean and comfortable’ room is something we ensure to deliver to each and every guest whenever they stay. We will definitely be sharing your feedback with Ernesto, he is a true guest pleaser. A lot of our ‘first time’ guests do return more than once and we truly hope to see you back again soon!

Kindest Regards,