“Very friendly, helpful staff!”

Residence Inn Austin South
Ranked #85 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
College Station, Texas
“Very friendly, helpful staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

The room and hotel were consistent for a typical Marriott Residence. I had no complaints. However, the staff was very friendly. It has been a long time since I have encountered an entire staff that was warm, friendly, and helpful. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning staff to the breakfast staff were friendly and attentive. Marriott should learn lessons from this location. The location is good as it is very easy to get to all the major roads in Austin quickly if light traffic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for your kind words, we aim to ensure every guest leaves here happy and remembering our great staff! We pride ourselves on being one of the cleanest and friendliest hotels in Austin and I am pleased to know we met your expectations. As you mentioned we are conveniently located near IH-35 which gives our guests easy access to downtown, Southpark Meadows, or the surrounding area. We hope to see you next time you are in Austin!
Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This appears to be one of the older Residence Inns. To get to our room we had to drag everything through the lobby, which is difficult. The pool is right out front by a very busy freeway so it wasn't very relaxing. The décor in the rooms is a bit dated (I would love to know who picked that striped carpet). Bathrooms are very small, especially the tub/shower area. And no vent fan so it turned in to a sauna. Breakfast was good.

What makes Marriot properties to me is the people. The front desk people were very pleasant and the lady that worked breakfast (which was very good) was nice as well. All very helpful.

We had our teen daughter traveling with us so a one bedroom suite for $106 was a great value and gave us all some privacy. Would be nice if they could figure out how to get in to the bathroom without having to go through the bedroom, but a small inconvenience.

I would stay here again given the chance.

Room Tip: There aren't any better than any others. It's right on a freeway and it's noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for your post and comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind message regarding the exemplary service you received while staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott Austin South and the time you set aside to share your experience. Exceptional associates who exceed guest expectations are a source of pride at Marriott. I am glad the staff was able to provide a memorable service for you and your family. As you mentioned in your comments, we are an older building, but we recently went through a complete renovation in March of 2012. We are also in close proximity of IH-35 which allows for easy access to downtown or many of the other local area attractions.

We hope to see you again when you are in Austin!

Natchitoches, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

I recently visited the Residence Inn by Marriott in South Austin while visiting Austin. I like staying at a Residence Inn when possible because of their room set up and continental breakfast. Their rooms are very spacious and offer a full sized frig, stove top, microwave and kitchen supplies. It's basically like staying in a condo. The RI South is very close to Barton Springs and downtown, you can even use the hotel shuttle service to get to and from downtown. My room was clean, the lobby was nice and the staff is very friendly and enjoyable. I will stay here again when in Austin.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate0704
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. I am very happy to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations, as our goal is deliver superior service with a clean, comfortable room for our guests to enjoy. As you mentioned in your review, we are conveniently located near many of Austin’s attractions and night life and having the use of the Marriott South shuttle is a definite benefit. All of our rooms are 50% larger than most standard hotel rooms and we also include kitchenettes in each room. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you chose us again on your next trip to Austin!

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Residence Inn Austin South was a great hotel. They had clean rooms, friendly service, and great location. We especially enjoyed the luxury of having our own kitchen, living room, and living room after a long day of site seeing in Austin.

I was very pleased with the overall experience.

1 Thank Josh R
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. It was a pleasure having you here and I am very delighted that we could meet all of your expectations. We are always striving for our guests to be comfortable and feel like part of our family. I am happy we succeeded that with your stay. Take care and I look forward to seeing in the future.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very nice lobby with a welcoming and accomodating staff. Great location that is very close to downtown just a few miles down the road on I-35. Room was well cleaned and great design. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite and it worked perfect for us with a 1 year, he was able to take naps in the other room while we were in the living area. Love the full kitchen with everything you need to make a quick lunch or dinner. The complimentary breakfast was wondeful both mornings, the cooks in the kitchen are very diligent of restocking food. All staff was very nice and made our family feel welcomed. Would definitely return to this location again.

1 Thank Ashley R
Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property. Your home away from home is our overall goal for our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed while they are traveling. We are larger than an average hotel room and do have 3 different room type options to choose from ranging from our open air floor plan studio, to a one bedroom that provides a dividing door and wall for a little more privacy, up to our two bedroom suite that includes two separate bedrooms and bathrooms and all of our rooms have a kitchenette. We are conveniently located off of South IH-35 via exit 229 Stassney Lane. We are approx. 4.5 miles from downtown, 6 miles from the airport and approx. 7 miles from the University of Texas. We also do offer complimentary breakfast each morning and a M-W hospitality hour that includes a light dinner and well as complimentary beer, wine, and soda.
We look forward to seeing you again!
Denton, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was our third time at this property in the last 5 years and each time has been enjoyable. This time I was a little high maintenance and really appreciated the extra help from Fiona and Julian at the front desk. First challenge was when I realized I left my iPhone charging 'cube' at home and my phone AND iPad were dying. No problem...Fiona graciously loaned me the manager's personal cube long enough to get everything recharged. Next problem, I stupidly purchased pizzas that had to be baked instead of microwaved. We were on the verge of ordering pizza to be delivered and wasting what I had just purchased when once again they came to my rescue and opened the kitchen to me so I could bake the pizzas! As I profusely declared my appreciation, they graciously said they were glad to help...and meant it! The breakfast area has been recently updated and is very comfortable and inviting. Yes, the property is on the highway but I was never bothered by road noise in the rooms and was only slightly aware of it even at the pool. Our room was clean and comfortable and seemed recently updated. My only issue was the tv service which is a corporate decision, no doubt. The choices were very limited in free channels appropriate for our 7 year old grandson and movies for him were $14.99 on the average, and 'kid's cartoon packages' were $9.99 for less than 30 minutes of viewing! More, cheaper options would have been appreciated for the younger kids. Having said that, though, I will definitely be back for the sevice alone!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Greetings,

Thank you so much for your kind and positive words about the hotel staff. I am very lucky to have such a great team at the Residence Inn that cares about our guests as much as they do. Fiona, Julian, and the team truly make my job easier.

In March of 2012 we did compIete a renovation of our hotel that did include expanding our breakfast area. With the renovation we were able to expand the breakfast seating as well as include more items on our complimentary breakfast buffet. I know how important it is to start the day with a good meal so we have included scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, Texas shaped waffles, a daily “made for you” item, as well as all of the Residence Inn favorites you might be accustomed too.

As you mentioned we are ideally located off of IH-35 with easy via exit 229. We are approx. 4.5 miles from downtown, 6 miles from Barton Springs, and 7 miles from the University of Texas.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Warm Regards,

Arlington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Nice lobby hotel, bad location in general. Near I 35 lot of sound pollution and as a result do not breath too deep. Garbage near property, it smells bad and at night roaches roaming sidewalks. Inside dark and dreary, hard to get to, stayed there for 4 nights, will never go there again, service OK, could be better. Appliances old and loud.

Room Tip: none, sorry
Green Features: old plumbing, uses ton a water for one flush of toilet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Chris H, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience with us. Our location does allow very close access to I35 for those travelling to, from or around Austin and a lot of our guests choose us based on this factor alone. We are truly sorry as a team that we let you down in regards to your recent experience with us and would love for you to give us another chance. We have VERY recently had a new management change and we will definitely taking your feedback on board to better serve you.

Please could you contact me personally whenever you are next planning a trip to Austin!

Chris Hammons