“Convenient and Cozy”

La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol
Ranked #161 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I recently took my son to Austin for the U.S. Davis Cup Tennis Tournament being held at the Frank Erwin Center July 8 - 10. I wanted to find a hotel within walking distance that was reasonable in price. The LaQuinta was the perfect location for walking to and from the Erwin Center and for strolling through the University of Texas campus as well. The free breakfast was wonderful - waffles, cereal, bagels, toast, fruit, coffee, juice and muffins. The beds were very comfortable and we slept very well. The staff was polite and friendly. If we ever travel back to Austin, we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the 4th floor and they accommodated me. The view was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed here during the Davis Cup Quarterfinal recently in Austin. Upon arrival, I was not impressed with the outside, but the staff was VERY friendly & helpful, and the room was large, clean, and exactly as described.
To top it all off this place is in the PERFECT location for visitors to Austin. It's just blocks from the captiol, less than 10 minutes from the UT-Austin campus, and a 10 minute walk to downtown and the Congress Ave bridge.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I planned to stay at La Quinta Austin for almost a month in May/June 2011, but I was forced to cut my visit short by the third week. I chose the hotel for its low rates and its proximity to the downtown area and to the University of Texas-Austin. I ended up switching to a different hotel before my stay was over; I found the room at La Quinta Austin uninhabitable.

On one occasion, there was a large insect in my room. The next day, a member of the maintenance staff sprayed inside the room and taped up a hole under the air conditioning unit.

On the last night that I spent there, there was a mouse in my room. The front desk staff told me that the maintenance workers had left for the night and that there was no other room for me to move to except for a fold-out bed in the parlor. They said that they would be sure to address the problem the next day. Maybe they would have, but I was in Austin to work. These problems were petty annoyances. I had a much more enjoyable stay at the hotel that I moved to that evening.

On a positive note, La Quinta Austin gave me a refund for the remaining portion of my stay. The overall experience was disappointing. In the future, I will stay at a different hotel in the area even if that means paying a higher price for the stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed here in March 2011, purpose of visit was attendance at SXSW music festival. I was in town for a week and had six nights doing cheap and cheerful and one night upmarket at the Hilton (which bizarrely was cheaper than La Quinta!)
So it is useful to do a comparison between the two.
Both are central, in the Hilton’s case probably perfect location. The Quinta is about 10 minutes walk from Sixth Street so was away from the hustle and bustle that is SXSW. A possible advantage in my opinion.
This may be one of the few plus points going for the place. Let’s get the gripes out of the way first. Well what a disaster! The pool was out of action. Fortunately I did not have time to partake in such activities so no great loss.
The rooms were not especially clean and on one of the days we stayed the room was not made up. In the hotels defence though, we did shoo the cleaner away as the room would have been made up early. But at SXSW late nights do come as a given, but it was disappointing that room service did not return. And we did have to ask for toiletries as well.
The bed was uneven and not really comfy. OK it had a big ravine down the middle of it as a result of 4000 people sleeping on it. The mattress needs replaced!
The hotel has the worst orange juice I have ever tasted. Let’s be honest, it’s not orange juice. It may have been orange but I suspect it’s a powder with water added as an afterthought. But let’s not seem too ungrateful, in a country where "room only" is king, to get a breakfast thrown in as part of the price is a bonus.
The ambience at breakfast may have been like McDonalds but the selection met my needs, a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea (although I did provide my own tea bags!). Toast, boiled eggs, fruit, yoghurts cakes. Something for everyone!
Now starting to stray into positive territory!
Free internet access, tick. Air conditioning, Tick. The location I have already mentioned and the fact that there was security was appreciated too. But my biggest compliment goes to the staff who were so friendly and helpful (cleaner excepted!)
While the Hilton may have it all in terms of luxury (compared to Quinta), it’s big and impersonal. Sure the view from the 25th floor was wonderful, the accommodation pristine but charging $4 for a small bottle of water is excessive. And its wee things that cloud your judgment.
For all its faults, I preferred La Quinta and I was left wondering why we switched on the last night to the Hilton!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blueangels
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I was planning to have a wonderful, clean vacations so I decided to pick this hotel. I used online reservation as always but oh surprise !...
1. Smell like old cinema....
2. They need to clean a/c filters immediately.
3. I reserved for $85 dollars night. They charged me $105 plus taxes. They didn't respect my reservation.
4. Towels are hard as rocks.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My wife repeated called the office late one night, it seems teenagers were partying in the pool until 1130pm. Drunk, diving unclothed idiots, and the office didn't answer the phone until 1130 pm. LTake plenty of snacks with you, no restaurants within six blocks, except a overpriced uneatable Mexican Place, and a nonexistent Italian Restaurant theta management is one block away. $12.95 a day for the La Quinta to park your car, if thats that being screwed what is. Oh yeah, the commode kept being stopped up.

Room Tip: Stay a the Raddison
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank judge_bill
LQSALES, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. It is unfortuante that you had issues with your stay. Thanks to your feedback we can go back and address these issues and be able to better assure improved Guest Satisfaction here at our hotel as we would never hope that guests have issues with us. We will certainly review your parking concrens with the appropriate people to see if there is anything we can do to better such service.

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Looking the price it was a complete disappointment. The room was filthy, the washroom was not properly cleaned, sheets and curtains were dirty from the very first look, and the mattress was like a 10-yr old dumped by someone. High noise throughout the night by other room occupants. Seemed like the hotel was used extensively by unwanted night-time visitors.

Room Tip: I would not recommend anyone to go there at all.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank MDP_Love_Traveling
LQSALES, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. It is unfortunate that you had issues with your stay. It is never our hope that our guests have issues when they stay with us. With that said, we will work with our housekeeping and security company to help them understand the importance of guest satisfaction and to ensure problems like this are corrected immmediatly to not affect future stays.