“Excellent”

La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol
Ranked #158 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Perfect location. A little "old school" designwise, but clean and functional. Good value.

Room Tip: Bottom floor a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 October 2011

The location is pretty good being just a few blocks walk from most of the attractions, however, this place is a bit dumpy. Not a lot of choices with moderate prices in downtown Austin so for a single night it will do. There is required valet parking so keep that in mind. My room had an exterior entry (almost always a bad sign) but it seemed like the rooms to the East may have been newer and nicer with inside hallway entries...you may want to ask for one of those. Pretty much a motel not a hotel.

Room Tip: Try asking for a new room in the East wing that has an inside hallway entry?
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RastamanInKansas
LQSALES, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Dear Rastamaninkansas,

We apologize that your experience wasnot what you expected from La Quinta. It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations in service and accomodations, so it is with disappointment that I hear how we've fallen short of that goal. Your comments have been shared with my team so that appropriate changes can be made for the comfort of our future guests.

Your satisfaction and continued trust in La Quinta are our top priorities. We hope you will be staying with us again soon.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Staying a couple of nights for a business trip and hoping to save the state money, I booked here because of the great rate. The room was pretty clean, though the furniture was a bit tatty. The front desk staff was nice but the wakeup call failed twice and several times I called down and nobody picked up. As far as a place to lay down for a few nights while doing work, it was fine.

To get to restaurants and entertainment you needed to walk 4 blocks. I didn't park, but SuperShuttle form the airport was $13.

Room Tip: The rear building that was away from the street and the pool was pretty queit.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2011

This was a day trip for my husband and I only staying one evening in Austin. This hotel is by far one of the least expensive in the d/t area. Upon arrival, you are allowed to leave your vehicle in the mandatory valet area ($12 a day) long enough to check-in before they park you. Valet staff was personable and friendly. Check-in was met with a smiling face and quick processing. Our room was on the 4th floor just beyond the elevator overlooking the portico and valet area. Not the best view but we were only there one night. Room had a king bed and all areas were clean. Only noise we experienced were the other patrons passing by our door, some with rolling luggage, and other "people noise" on and off throughout the evening.

Check-out was smooth. We didn't partake in the complimentary breakfast but it was bustling at 10am. Husband ran in for a cup of coffee before leaving.

This hotel is the closets to the State Capitol, which was our main point of interest while in Austin. We were about six blocks from 6th street which is in walking distance, but the weather was a bit damp so we drove there. I would recommend La Quinta for the value and convenience!

Room Tip: If I were to stay here again for a longer stay, I'd ask for a room not along the path towards th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
LQSALES, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear travelbug7733,

I wanted to personally thank you for your time to comment and review our La Quinta Austin Capitol Hotel. We really appreciate your words and compliments about our employees and the quality of the hotel. Thank you for your business and we do look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I had a great stay at the La Quinta Inn near the capitol. I was pleasantly surprised to have valet service for my vehicle and the gentlemen were great. They helped me get my luggage out and loaded onto a cart when I got there and helped me load it all back in when I was ready to leave. The room was very comfortable. I had three wonderful nights there.

They also gave me a good tip on a good restaurant nearby - Serranos. Awesome!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Pros: convenient location, nice staff, okay breakfast included in the price.
Cons: old, thin walls, can hear outside noise.

I think the management and staff are really trying to keep this LaQuinta in decent shape -they are nice, the room was clean, and breakfast was basic, but it did the job. However, the building is old (not in a good way) and I could noise from the street/ surrounding rooms/ a loud guest talking outside woke me up several times during the 2 nights I spent there. At around $100/ night, I did not expect anything fancy, but uninterrupted sleep was one expectation that was not met.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I picked this hotel as we were driving into Austin. I scoffed at the $100 room price, hoping I could get a better deal but after I called around and found that the other hotels were booked or more expensive, I settled with this one. When we walked in, we were greeted with a strong musk. There was no standing water (like I read in another review) so because I couldn't figure out where the odor came from and figured it was just because it was old, I didn't say anything. The bathroom was tiny, but honestly, that's not that big of a deal to me. How much room do you need in there anyway? The vanity area was big, which was the only perk to this room. Back to the bathroom.. I know the toilets are old, but when its running off and on and you can't even flush it properly because the inner workings in the tank need to be adjusted, there is a problem. I opened the tank up and messed with it enough to satisfy myself. So again, I didn't see the need to say anything. I saw a bug. That would normally be it for me. But after the boyfriend killed it and assured me that it was the waterbug type but there shouldn't be anymore, I stayed quiet. We stayed on the second floor on the outside part of the hotel nearest the door with the stairs. I didn't realize that every morning, I would hear the travelers with their wheelie bags outside as much as we did. We must have been woken up half a dozen times each morning! At this point, I'm not saying anything just because I don't want to go through the hassle of repacking just to move 15 feet and then unpacking. What else? Room service walked in on us! Yes, we were decent, but if you're going to walk into people's rooms, wait a few seconds after you knock! You don't knock as you're walking in! Some TV channels did not come in at all. I'm not talking about the PPV channels or anything fancy... I'm talking FOX. Lame. Parking was way too expensive, but it seems inevitable in the downtown area. The valet guys where probably the friendliest out of the whole staff. I probably would have tipped them if I didn't already have to pay 13 bucks a day for something they only did maybe 4 times total. At the time when all of these little things were happening, I didn't want to say anything. Partially because I don't want to be "that" person and partially because I didn't want to deal with the hassle. But now that I'm thinking about it, I definitely should have. The accumulation of all these things most definitely warrants a trip to the front desk. Since I couldn't do it, I'm just going to let you guys know so that you don't waste well earned dollars on something that very well might lead to disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
LQSALES, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Dear Jenny L:

I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience with us.

I was very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations in so many aspects of your stay.

We welcome all guest's feedback and encourage it to continually imprive our facilities and services.

I can assure you that we have addressed the physical issues you had with the room and have used this as a continuing trainging tool with our housekeeping staff to further avoid such problems.

I would like to be able to get in contact with you as we would like ot be able to make this up to you and your boyfriend.

We strive to ensure that our guests are 100% satisfied and I do hope to have a chance to speak with you in the near future.

Front Desk Manager