“Very Reliable for Sports Team”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Airport
Ranked #118 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed in this property twice a year for the past several years as the chaperone for a sports team. The management always gets our reservation right and the property continues to be in good shape even as the years pass. The breakfast is pretty good - but if you want more, you can walk over to Denny's. There are usually kolaches, hard boiled eggs, and the Texas shaped waffles that you expect from LQs in Texas. Comfortable beds, Not the cheapest, but reliable and no particular down sides to this LQ.

Room Tip: You can ask to be on the side that faces away from the busy road, although you really can't hear...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at the La Quinta Austin Airport for three nights for a business event. This property is located very close to the airport on Hwy 71 (also known as Ben White Blvd), and a fairly easy commute to downtown Austin (by Austin standard). Despite its proximity to the airport, the property is surprisingly quiet from planes. However, if your room faces the main road, expect road noise.

The property has the typical ammenities for hotels of this class. In addition, refrigerator and a small microwave also come standard in each room. The staff is very friendly, and rooms are clean. Unfortunately, the hotel falls far short in other areas...

This hotel is slipping into a state of disrepair. Water and moisture is apparently this property's primary nemesis. Majority of the windows have a foggy film trapped inside the double pane glass. Also, both mine and my colleage's room have water damage on the window sill. Following a stormy night, I saw a couple of buckets in the lobby collecting rain water. Further, one of the side entrances does not require a room key to open, which to me is a safety issue.

I am a business traveler who visits Austin regularly (and I have stayed at most of the hotels in the immediate area). This is by far not the worst hotel I've ever visited. However, I would rather stay at other hotels in the immediate area given the choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed one night at the Austin, TX Airport La Quinta.

La Quintas in general are reliable places to stay, and this was no exception. The room was spacious, even for one with a king sized bed. It was clean as a whistle. I had to go aske for a second roll of toilet paper as the only one in the bathroom was almost done. The front desk staff were polite and efficient. Service was nice. I didn't eat the complimentary breakfast, as it was your basic generic motel breakfast.

I had a few complaints. I'd just spent the week at a dressage clinic near Houston, and had a suitcase full of laundry. The staff at the front desk said I was welcome to use the hotel laundry, but they had no laundry detergent. Why not? They just didn't, but if I wanted, I could go 'across the street" to a convenience store and buy it.

Well, no. That highway the motel is on is, like all roads in Texas, full of traffic at extremely high speeds. Where the heck are all these folks going so fast, and why? But I had no desire to walk across the street, so I didn't get my laundry done.
My second gripe was with the A/C unit in my room.
I had picked up a hideous ( I STILL have the hideous) head cold while in Houston. And a cold front had moved into the area. I'd packed for 90 degree temps and there I was, freezing my tuckus off in 42 degree temps. Needless to say, I was miserable, cold with a head cold. Not a fun combination.
It appeared to me that the room had no heat. The air conditioner worked great, but I didn't want to be cold, I wanted it HOT in that room. Once I turned on the unit, it would go no higher than 75 degrees and even then, it was blowing in cold air, not hot.
I couldn't get it to shut off once I started it working. So I unplugged it, folded up the quite warm blanket on the bed and did get warm.

I plugged it back in when I left the next morning.

You don't have to get back in the car to go get something to eat. There's a Denny's on one side and a Subway's across the side road. Yeah, it's not a full meal deal, but who wants to fly on a full stomach?

All in all, it was a well run motel, and I'd go there again. But please, management, provide your front desk with laundry detergent. Your customers will appreciate it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stay here when we are flying out of Austin.Awesome rooms.Shuttle service to and from the airport is great. awesome location. Clean rooms and facility.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I love this hotel. I have stayed here many times and have always enjoyed my stay. They allow pets which is always great for us. We received a room downstairs and the hallway had other guests with dogs which was perfect for us. The breakfast buffet is nothing spectacular but my husband and I enjoy their waffles. It is not close to downtown but we always prefer it so we can get away from the hustle and bustle. I know for a fact that they offer a shuttle service from the airport so that is always a plus. i personally have never used it. The rooms are always clean for a hotel and my husband and I have nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: If you have pets stay on the 1st floor, it is easier to use the side doors because it has grassy are...
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Check in was SUPER speedy. Room was quiet and clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our remote initially did not work.. On the way to the front desk we passed a mainenance man who asked US if he could help, took the remote and 4 minutes later brought us a working one to the room!! Breakfaat ofifcially started at 6 but they set up early so we even got to eat before we caught the shuttle. Park and Ride feature saved us alot of money !! Shuttle was overbooked but they had called cabs so everyone got a free ride to the airport. A 3-4 star hotel for the price of a 2-3 star. There is a restaurant next door.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here with a friend last weekend and we were overall very pleased with it. It was actually nicer than I expected it to be. I believe the hotel was refurbed in 2008 and it has been well maintained.

Checkin - We checked in around 6pm on Saturday night. The hotel staff was extremely pleasant.

Room - We were given a top level, double room facing the airport (although view is actually of the other hotels nearby.) It was very spacious, large entry way and plenty of floor space. Didn't care for the door to the bathroom - it's more like a closet door, does not lock and there is no sense of privacy if needed.

We could not access the free in-room wi-fi that was advertised both online and on the in-room documentation. There is however a modem in the room and being the geeks that we are, we had a router and some extra cables for multi-user access. Once we figured out that the bottom plug from the wall outlet was not working, we were able to get things wired and functioning for a little mindless surfing.

We were here during the Republic of Texas biker rally, so we heard motocycles all night long. It was pretty loud and I had trouble sleeping when the ac wasn't drowning them out. Once the choppers quieted down, the airplane noise took over. Calgon, take me away!

Business Center - Amounted to nothing more than a PC and very basic printer. We needed to print something and fought with the printer for a little while. Finally figured out that it was not allowing multiple copies of anything to be printed. If you sent it to the printer one at a time, it printed without hesitation. This was only frustrating because the front desk person was watching us the whole time and never offered up any assistance as we messed with the paper tray, etc.

Breakfast - Pretty basic stuff here, with Texas waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, microwavable hot links, cereal, etc. It was enough to satisfy our hunger before heading down to San Marcos for a day of shopping.

Location - This location is, of course, near the airport. It is also not far off of the 45/130 Toll road. Highly recommend the nice, quiet toll road over the hassle and stress of I-35, especially if you will be traveling during peak times. Also, it's a quick drive to Barton Square Mall and that general area.

Overall we were pleased with the hotel; if I were to stay again, I would be turning the ac down lower in hopes of sleeping through the road and airport noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends