“Cute place”

Ranked #54 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Berlin, Germany
“Cute place”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Cute little suite. Good for couples, not suitable for much else. The suite itself was big but you couldn't have anyone else really stay over if need be, couch far too small. Nice to have the kitchen though and the place was clean. Decent price. It's in a very weird area, but we navigated around just fine.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

On short notice, I tried to find weekend accommodations in South Austin but when that didn’t work out I booked a suite at Habitat and was pleasantly surprised.

Before I mention all the positive things, a couple of negatives: I’d read reviews here that mentioned the nearby noisy club, so when my husband called to reserve he asked about a quiet room. He was promised a room in the back, which, we were told, would not only minimize the noise also but give us a view of the garden. When we arrived, however, the room we got faced the front. But because we were running late for our evening plans, we decided not to take the time to complain. On returning late that night, yes, we could definitely hear the club noise. But it was not so loud that it actually kept us awake. We slept fine both nights we were there. (I was more bothered by the broken promise than the actual noise!) My only other quibble had to do with lighting. Our living room had only one small, dim table lamp, which not only made the room a little inhospitable but also made it impossible to sit and read in after dark.

That said, our suite was spacious and clean and our bed comfortable. Great flat-screen TVs in both rooms. The complimentary breakfast was AWESOME: organic yogurt, fresh fruits, a variety of breads, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, oatmeal, cereals, pancakes and plenty of fixin’s (jams, honeys, syrups, etc). Happy hour was just as impressive – with a half-dozen wines to pick from and snacks like cheese, olives, dolmas, hummus, vegetable sticks, and pita chips. Lastly, the staff was terrific: Everyone we spoke to at the front desk was courteous and helpful.

It’s true that Habitat is situated next to a (closed?) shopping mall and that we had to drive a ways to get to our events in So Austin. But given the nice grounds, comfy rooms, generous breakfasts, and friendly staff, we found Habitat a pleasant stay and a great value.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quieter, I think.
Green Features: Didn’t mind the CF bulb in the bathroom that takes a while to brighten but having one tiny lamp as the sole living room light was ridiculous. Also, we hung our towels and washcloths so housekeeping wouldn’t launder, but came back to clean replacements – very wasteful.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

We loved our room. It was quite and large. It's an older building but kept up well. Lots of green plants. Great breakfast and friendly staff. The breakfast had so much to offer from hot food like pancakes and eggs to fresh fruit and cereal.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked at Habitat Suites because all the hotels downtown were full and this was near my daughters' apartment; my husband and I and our German friends (man and wife) were visiting them for the weekend. As we drove in, I was ready to be embarassed with my choice as it was right across from a huge mall! However, we turned into a tree-shaded, quiet enclave, went in to the front desk and were welcomed with an invitation to come to the happy hour (free drinks and snacks) from 5-7, and a description of "the best breakfast in town" (came with the room) in the morning -- when I said we were planning to have breakfast with my daughters, could we buy breakfast for them at the hotel, the front desk person said that my daughters were welcome to come to the hotel and eat with us -- Free! We went to our room-- 2 bedroom suite -- and it was clean, spacious and pleasant, with trees all around and parking right across from the door. I was tickled to find a Buddhist book of sayings in the drawer next to the Gideon bible. Happy hour was quiet and soothing, healthy snacks as well as typical snacks, with a request that one limits oneself to three drinks each! It was a very quiet night, even though it turned out to be a Football weekend (why all the other hotels I tried had been booked), the hotel has "quiet time" requested after 10 pm and before 9. Breakfast was as advertised -- a full meal with fruit and pastries and hot dishes cooked to order by a local family who is running the restaurant. Our family and guests loved the whole experience! And for about half what it would have cost us to stay in town. We are sold and will be back the next time we stay in Austin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kittyCS
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Booked this hotel after reading reviews and it exceeded my expectations. It is a charming oasis in the city, with beautiful lush vegetation. The rooms could use some updating, but I would much rather stay in a place like this than a sterile chain hotel. The breakfast buffet was amazing, and they even have an evening reception with snacks and drinks. I wish we'd find more hidden treasures like this in our travels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was really excited about my very first visit to Austin, TX and equally excited to choose Habitat Suites as my home away from home. Let me start with the property is beautiful. The lush gardens, tranquil surroundings and organic produce~which I didn’t actually see~ that you can just pick off the tree made this an obvious choice. Front desk was pleasant and allowed me an early 1:30pm check in. When checking me in I stated that I know it is a lot to ask but can you try and find me a quiet room. The front desk agent went into this speech on how all of their rooms are quite and that they enforce a quiet time after 10pm. I said that was perfect, took my keys and off I went. The room I had was a ground floor which was nice; property does not have elevators and on a corner which I thought would also be nice. Furniture, stove, counter tops, carpet, draperies, bathroom fixtures and lack of lighting in the bathroom area all need to be updated or replaced but the size of the room was good and I could park my vehicle right in front of the room which I liked.
Here’s where the problems come in. The strip club SUGAR is right next door and is right next to the room I was put into. I’m not so prudish that I am troubled by being in close proximity to a strip joint. I do however have problem with noise. I come back from a late dinner in the downtown area and am all set to get ready for bed. Cars honking, and men hanging out in SUGAR’s parking lot yelling lewd comments continued on until 3:30 or 4am. Habitat Suites is not a 24 hour hotel and they do not have staff or a manager during the evening hours so when there really is an issue the only one that I can complain to is myself…..for booking here. Since they don’t have staff at night I also could not leave a wakeup call. Tried the “do it yourself” prompt on the phone. In room#1116 it does not work. So in the end I go NO sleep, no Wake up Call, No Breakfast and in the end I missed my flight and had to “standby” at the Austin airport for 10 hours. THANKS for NOTHING Habitat Suites!!!

Room Tip: Room 1116 is one of the Loudest rooms I've EVER stayed in~Right next to the strip club. AVOID IF...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank maldoror23
Odessa, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We loved this hotel. This hotel isn't a average hotel. The staff is very nice, the rooms are great and the quiet hours are WONDERFUL. My husband and I enjoyed the swimming pool at night. We enjoyed the breakfast every morning and it was very good and quiet. We decided to stay an extra night and our room had already been reserved so we moved to another room. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple