“Worked for our needs”

Ranked #56 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Blaine, Minnesota
“Worked for our needs”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple nights towards the end of June. I had flown to Texas to visit my son who is stationed at Ft Hood and we headed out to see some sights of TX over the weekend. Being the hotel offered basically a small 2 bedroom apartment, it worked well for our needs. Definately needed updating - the microwave was an original...just like one I had purchased 34 years ago. Originally I had planned to cook dinner for us - and luckily I was too tired at night from sightseeing all day - the first night we brought in takeout only to find there weren't any dinner sized plates.

I really enjoyed the grounds and we were on the back side of the property and it was very quiet. The cocktail hour they offer is nice. People were enjoying the pool, although we never made it out there. The area that it is located in isn't the greatest. Not far from the Greyhound station, across the street from a shopping mall that appears to have failed, and next door to a strip club (glad I looked up their menu online before my son and I walked in there).

I would stay there again, especially if the rooms were updated - even at a higher price. The only big complaint I had was one of the staff members. Reading another review here from April, the reviewer mentions breakfast and something to the effect of someone telling you what to do. In our case, we were enjoying breakfast and a gentleman went to refill his plate at the buffet (there were no large plates out). A woman who works there started yelling at him and saying he needed to use a fresh plate. She was loud and unprofessional. She finally opens a cupboard door and hands the man a fresh plate - but still didn't put any out for other guests. A couple of minutes later, another man goes to the buffet and he opens the cupboard to get a clean plate and the same woman yells at him because he's not suppose to be in there. It really ruined the atmosphere in the nice little area they have for breakfast and you couldn't help but feel bad for the two men that were yelled at.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I love the idea of this place. More "suite" hotels should be available. This hotel is all suites, which is super cool. Basically, private beds and baths with a shared living room and kitchen area. In the case of this hotel, the suites are all unique units accessed from outside entrances. There is a main building on the site that has the lobby, front desk, dining room area and is adjacent to the outdoor pool. Again, fabulous set up. However, I would agree with many of the other reviews that the property is in need of some updating. The furniture was older and was a little rough around the edges, especially in the living room area. The kitchen appliances were all older. However, everything was clean and operational in our unit. The philosophy of the hotel, which I respect greatly, is to be "green", energy efficient, to recycle and eat natural foods. You get that kind of "hippie" feel throughout...from the furniture to the food. Not a problem; just an observation. In fact, my only real complaint was the temperature. In an effort to conserve energy, they keep the thermostat set at 75 and you can adjust it when you get into the room. However, with temps in the upper 90s, the upstairs of our 2 story unit didn't cool off to an acceptable temperature until a full 24 hours after being there. It was at least 85 upstairs in the unit (75 on the lower level where the thermostat is) when we checked in. By the next day, it was 75 upstairs and a pretty cool 65 on the main level. That may be a problem with the insulation of the older building, but that needs to be taken into consideration when setting the thermostats. Overall, it was a good experience and we certainly got more for our money at this hotel when we would have otherwise. The food, happy hours and access to a fridge/microwave make up for the rough edges.

Room Tip: All of the single bedroom suites are on the ground level whereas all of the double bedroom suites ar...
Green Features: I appreciate this approach and I would like to see more of it. I liked the salt-water pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I don't think this hotel has been updated for 30 years. The 70's is calling and wants its furniture back. Wallpaper peeling off walls, stains on rugs, drapes, walls, etc. I am 52 and microwave was so outdated, I didn't even know how to operate. There is a sitting area in the two bedroom suite, but if you have more than two in your party, bring a folding chair. There is one very uncomfortable chair and the smallest love seat I have ever seen. There are two stools (no backs) at the kitchen counter, but the stains made them too gross to use. Also, if you are elderly, not in good shape or have any ambulatory issues, do not get a two story or second floor room, the steps are steep and precarious. BTW, there is a strip club "Sugars" a few doors down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Heidi G, Front Office Manager at Habitat Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
We care deeply when we fail to please our guests. We stand ready to make amends.

After listening intently to valuable guest feedback, we have heard you, and our renovations in 2014 are in progress with only a handful of suites to go.

Habitat Suites is proud to have served guests for over 35 years as an independent, environmentally responsible hotel. Unlike larger chains who conduct large-scale renovations every 5-10 years, we are in a constant stream of improvements and renovations. Our standards for cleanliness, however, are never compromised. Our team members in all departments are committed to this promise. Some things being dated will happen time and again, but we wish to help our guests feel right at home - and that is why we are dedicated to the exciting projects this year which are sure to provide an even more spacious, beautiful and harmonious environment for everyone!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The shower was a little hard to operate, confusing knobs, but the room was nice and you do get a full kitchen. I was not happy that they suspended happy hour for the entire 4th of July weekend due to the holiday. The hotel should be run for the pleasure of the guests not the convenience of the staff. If anything, more effort should have gone into the happy hour for a holiday weekend rather than not having it at all. The ambiance of the hotel is cool and the maid service was good. The staff was polite.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet. I did read a complaint from someone that had a room toward the end near the adj...
Green Features: I think that the salt water pool is supposed to the more environmentally friendly than the normal chlorinated type. The system should generate its own chlorine and the salt water is supposed to be more gentle on the skin.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kliffnotes
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Location Was Good, Room Was Actually A One Bedroom Apartment With A Full Kitchen Which Was Great. They Have A Quiet Policy After Ten PM Which Is Great In Theory But There Is A Restaurant/Bar Next Door From Which I Could Hear Loud Music, Shouting And A DJ Until The Wee Hours Every Night. I Didn't Get Decent Night's Sleep The Entire Time I Was There. And My Apartment Was On The Second Floor Even Though I Had Requested Handicap Accommodations(No Elevator) And They Wouldn't Chance It.

• Stayed April 2014
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This suite seems to be a renovated old apartment complex.
The floor plan was nice to my family. We stayed in 2 bedroom suite and it has a king bed downstairs and a queen bed upstairs.
It has fully equipped kitchen along with some utensils and pots you could use, and full sized refrigerator (it was a bit old and made loud noise though).

The staff were nice and friendly, and there was daily evening reception and breakfast. The food didn't have much choice but decent enough considering its price.

It is closed located to the freeway but not too close to have much noise. Though there were some crazy people on Friday night who made noise at night, but I am not sure whether it was inside the suite or from nearby place. There are some crazy folks on friday night anywhere anyway..

The price was reasonable thanks to priceline, and we would love to stay again if we need to stay more than 2 nights in austin.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suite is nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sierra Vista, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My sister and I had a great stay at the Habitat Suites. The grounds were lovely; the staff couldn't have been more professional, and the rooms served our purpose--a good night's sleep. Breakfast was surprisingly good.

Green Features: This fact weighed in our decision to stay. Always glad to support businesses who are environmentally-friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Metta Maidie Ra... J