“Best Choice for North Austin”

Habitat Suites Hotel
Ranked #52 of 201 Hotels in Austin
The Woodlands, United States
“Best Choice for North Austin”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

OK, let's get this out of the way .. I think lodging in Austin is overpriced in general. And maybe this place is a little over-priced, but I think considering what you get for your money, it is a very good value. It has a tucked-away Oasis feel even though it is in North Austin across from Highland mall. The mall itself used to be nice - has been all-but-abandoned, and now appears to be in the process of being converted into a community college campus. The grounds are lush and well kept - but a more wild than groomed ambience (we prefer the wilder ambience, but not everyone will). Rooms are converted apartments, so they are suites (part of what makes them great value) with a full size fridge in a full kitchen. Best in-room coffee I have tasted anywhere. Our room still had some dated furniture (which we actually don't mind - some appear to be antiques), but up-to-date flat screen TV's. It was easy to plug an iPad into an HDMI port and enjoy Netflix on the TV. Their Time Warner internet clocked in at around 8 Mbps down, and 1.2 Mbps up. Not blazing fast, but certainly adequate. Hot breakfast at the hotel was great. We have stayed here many times, and they have converted the breakfast from totally all you can eat, to a hybrid where you are limited to two servings of entrees, and all you can eat side dishes. It was plenty (actually one serving was plenty). You know, Austin traffic has gotten really bad, and part of the trick to handling Austin traffic is to cross the river as little as possible. So if you are on the north side, this place is great. Better value than nearby B******* chain or C******** chain.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the next door topless club. Wifi in some rooms is marginal. Ask to be placed n...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leonard B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just returned my son to University of Texas. Stayed only one night and was pleasantly surprised by this property. Close location to shopping, I 35, and easy access to UT. Enjoyed the morning breakfast especially as I am a vegetarian. Nice selection of items with a health conscience vision. I was able to spend some time on the pleasant patio next to the small pool with simple water feature. Very relaxing intimate space and a wonderful spot for a second cup of coffee or tea. Staff was very efficient and seemed to be very relaxed and confident. The room was a spacious two room with complete kitchen. Nice arrangement for extended stay business trip. The bed was very firm and comfortable and I really appreciated that as I had two long days in my son's car driving from Florida. My only negative was the shower. It had very ordinary tile and tub design with a somewhat poor operating fixture. For the price of the room, which I found very fair, the tub/shower, commode area was a let down. But that was the only negative I found at the hotel. All in all it was pleasant and well priced compared to the other three hotels that I have stayed at in Austin.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank robert h
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The last time we were in Austin in 2007 we stayed here. The place has not changed and continues to be a wonderful place to stay (except they no longer have the hot tub). The hotel is green and has organic and healthy choices for breakfast. Frank , Daniel and Maudie were great in the breakfast room. Maudie ran a tight ship which was good enforcing the rules. We were there five mornings. The only thing I would have liked to see is more daily variety. I understand they are going to start doing omelets on the weekends.

The suite was huge with a full kitchen, living area and separate bedroom. There was a wood fireplace which was not used in the 100 plus degree weather. Bed comfortable but not plush. The rooms could have used more outlets and light but that may be part of the green concept.
When I smelled cigarette smoke in the room and saw folks next door smoking in front of their room the manager took care of the situation immediately. I think her name was Heidi.

My husband had a conference at the Convention Center. I took him in the first day and after that he took the light rail which was a 5-10 minute walk and stopped at the convention center. Austin traffic is horrible. Overall , a great experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Songbird865
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Front Staff was sooo nice and friendly from booking our reservations to buffet staff to checkout staff. Love layout of separate bedrooms and kitchen area. Beats hotel stay from my point of view. Good center location. I will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014
Cromwell, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 August 2014

To be honest I was a little concerned when I pulled into the hotel, but was very surprised at this nice property hidden away just outside of downtown Austin. The rooms were good sized and the space comfortable for the family. It was well located to get to North Austin, Downtown or South of the City (St. Edwards University). Another big plus was that there were lots of great eating places not far down Anderson Ln. Breakfast was nice and the despite other reviews, there was not ANY noise issues. The only thing that we found a minor issue was that there were not blackout curtains in the rooms.

Room Tip: Suites are all on the second floor and are a great value for a traveling family.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Williamston, Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The rooms were very spacious and accommodating, it has a full kitchen . I am not sure about all of them but ours had a little living room and little kitchen a full refrigerator , stove , and dishes in the cupboards. I was very impressed with that. Unless you are five feet tall though, you might want to ask for the big boys shower. The shower head was so low my six foot husband had to bend down to get himself wet. The pillows on the bed are as hard as a rock. B.Y.O.P (bring your own pillows ) I went out to a Walmart and bought soft pillows.
I had a stomach ache one morning so my husband went to the breakfast buffet at 9:15 to get me something for my stomach but, oops he was fifteen minutes late and they were putting everything away and they told him it was to late. He then asked if he could just have a yogurt fto take to his wife ? She isn't feeling all that well, they told him no!...that he couldn't take any food back to his room, Wow !!! I really needed some yogurt or something. Then to top it all off , we did not swim during the day to avoid all the kids, nothing against kids, just that I have already raised mine and wanted pool time romantic time, but no kids around. My husband and I decided it was probably to late to swim which was 10:00 p.m. but maybe we could sit by the pool, talk and drink a beer just for the scenery, They told us no. There you go you decide if you want to stay here. " Just Saying " ............

Room Tip: all the rooms seem to be quiet .
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl S
Ball Ground
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked a 4 night stay here for mid June. My wife and I brought her father and his wife for the trip. We were hoping for a Residence Inn type stay. The rooms are extremely dated - 30 or 40 years. The stairs are not equal heights, and the concrete is falling apart. The organization of the suite was ok but there would never be a way to be comfortable in the room. The couch was so uncomfortable. Immediately after check in and seeing the room - we left and found a Residence Inn. I will say that the young man was extremely helpful and understanding at the front desk. If i were you I would visit the place before staying - it is not nce.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family