“Another nice Hyatt Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum

Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum
Ranked #88 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Texas
“Another nice Hyatt Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

In town for business, I stayed 5 nights at this property. This was my second stay at a Hyatt Place and I love their concept. The hotel is in NW Austin and very close to my company. You can walk to Dave & Busters, Baby A's Mexican Rest (Excellent) and a movie theatre. I really like this part of Austin, the mall is down the street. Check-in went smoothly and the staff was nice. The room was great, big tv, comfy bed, free wireless. The contiental breakfast was ok, a hot breakfast cost extra. They have a nice fitness center open 24-7 and the pool was ok but no hottub. They have beer and wine in the lobby so that was nice. Place was clean and housekeeping was good. I will always stay here when in Austin for business!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

In theory, this is a great idea -- a self-serve hotel for a lower price. However, there are some serious problems with staffing and stocking. The decor is great, and if I were rating the hotel on decor alone I would give it 5 stars. Beautiful lobby, huge plasma screen tvs, decent-but-smallish pool. However, despite the remodel there are already signs of deterioration and the breakfast experience is a nightmare.

We stayed a Friday and Saturday night, for $119 plus tax per night. The room was very comfortable, if a bit tight. The sink faucet was tilted at a funny angle and was loose, and there was only a shower (no tub). But overall, the room was acceptable.

However, the "free continental breakfast" is inadequate on every front. On Saturday morning, we went downstairs to discover sour milk, only one toaster with 4 slots, chemically tasting fruit, and an inadequately stocked tea display. Another gentleman pointed out the problem with the milk and placed it at the bakery window, where it sat for the next 40 minutes while we ate. I pointed out the problem with the tea. I used the kiosk to order the breakfast burrito, and I can't recommend ordering any hot breakfast. My $7 burrito arrived at the window 25 minutes (!!!) later, and was announced with a bark, "Burrito!" It had a raw-tasting tortilla, lukewarm eggs, unmelted cheese and canned salsa. The "hashbrowns" that came with it were a lukewarm glop of herbed mashed potatoes that had been barely cooked on one side to maintain integrity. Come on, I could have microwaved this myself and it would have tasted better.

Fast forward to right now, Sunday morning: no caffeinated tea, no decaffeinated coffee, no spoons, no juice, almost no cereal (healthier choices gone, froot loops and frosted flakes left), no bagels, no cream cheese, no half&half, no glasses (just mugs). I walked behind the "bar" to grab a packet of tea. Instead of continuing to stock his breakfast area, the gallery host came out to shake his finger at me. I told him he had absolutely no tea and that I had pointed this out to him 24 hours earlier. I'm amazed that he was policing the tea bag "theft," rather than taking care of his customers. Also, they are the same tea bags that are theoretically available in the continental breakfast area. To his credit, as I am typing this, I just saw him go behind the bar and grab the entire tea display and move it to the continental breakfast area. So maybe I'll give them 2.5 stars instead of 2.

The 2 desk hostesses have been incredibly nice to us and to our children. They are helpful and polite, but apparently they are not allowed to leave the desk area? It seems to me that on busy mornings, there needs to be one more person in the breakfast area to keep up with the larger groups of people. And a little respect from the manager/kitchen dude wouldn't hurt.

The next time we come to Austin and want the low-price, self-serve experience, we'll go to the La Quinta on South MoPac at Southwest Parkway: bigger rooms, better breakfast, nicer staff. Decor isn't as nice, but the total experience is better.

• Liked — Decor. Desk hostesses.
  • Disliked — Poor service, terrible food, rude manager
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
KMorgan21, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, 3 September 2008
Please give us another chance! We are under new management and our hotel is anxious to make every traveler feel special. We love our guests!
Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis since it became a Hyatt Place. Other than the name Hyatt, it has nothing in common with Hyatt, especially the service. THE BAD: I just use the kiosk to check-in and hope that I have no need to interact with the hotel staff, because they are very close to useless. I estimate that the check-in procedure via the staff takes at least 10 minutes. The ‘Gallery Hosts’ have difficulties using a mouse and a computer. Another reviewer mentioned that they do not inform you if your bed preference on the reservation cannot be met. Very true. No one there has any experience in running a hotel. THE GOOD: Since it was recently converted, the rooms are in decent shape. The sofas are good and the mattress are comfortable. I even like the in-room coffee. However, the biggest perk is the 42” HDTV. It is in the center of the room on a swivel, so one can see it from the bed or the sofa. I am anxious for Marriott to rehab their rooms. Or, I suppose Hyatt could get their staff trained by Mariott.

• Stayed May 2008
houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

What a great hotel to stay!! We arrived thinking it was going to be a regular under $150 hotel,nothing fancy, nothing out of the normal inexpensive hotel , but we found a very clean ,very safe very quite place to rest after our busy day, the rooms are big and confortable , it felt like i was staying at a studio apartment. I never saw anyone walking on the hallways and i didnt hear a noise during our 2 day stay there, even thought it was memorial day weekend. There's not much to do around the area in walking distance but the city is very close , easy acces to freeways and the management of the hotel was very kind and fast. I strongly recommend this hotel for people who are on the go and just need a safe and quite place to stay/rest after busy days in town. I will tell as many people as possible to stay here!

• Liked — room sizes, quiteness and clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Fort Worth, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

We checked in and checked out. This place is Amerisuites that has been remodeled, but I think that they just covered up some of the old stuff without really cleaning the place up. This would be fine for the business travelers that have little luggage and just desire a place to sleep for the night. If a flat screen tv is a must then you have it. There is not any space for suitcases, minimal closet space, When we arrived and checked in, we were told that they had not had soap (in room) for over a week. Red flag there. The refrigerator was not working. No amenities whatsoever. I think that this place is trying (it's a Hyatt!!!), they just have not caught on to what Embassy Suites does right next door. Room twice as big, hot breakfast, fun atomosphere. $20 difference and no comparison.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — just wasn't for us
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

I had a 5 night stay - and think that I chose the best hotel for outside of the city, mainly because of the suite setup. It is roomy with a workable kitchen with PLENTY of convenience right around the corner. Many restaurants, shops, supermarkets, etc a short drive away - interstate is right beside the hotel as well. If you're wanting a lot of the downtown action, stay downtown. A car is a must for staying in this area.
Hotel details - the suites are in small buildings a lot like apartments. Sometimes parking close was a problem. Rooms were comfortable and clean, a/c was new but fitful during 75-93 degree days, the maid service was okay but not 100% - biggest asset is the bed. Incredibly comfortable bed.

• Liked — The suite setup, with full kitchen. Good for business travel and extended stay.
  • Disliked — No room service.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2008

I have to say that Hyatt Place is one of my favorite hotels to stay at when I can find a reasonable rate. This one happened to have a great weekend rate, so I tried it out. It looks like they were still putting the finishing touches on this one - they set up the lobby furniture the day I checked in, and there was a notice that the water might be turned off at some point, but I never had a problem. There is another one closer to downtown, but this one is at a good location for north Austin, and has easy access to Hwy 183 and Mopac (Loop 1).

The room was great as expected - comfortable bed, giant couch, big HD TV with actual HD channels to watch. I did happen to have the room directly across from the ice maker which is really noisy when being used, so maybe avoid that. Also, the fire alarm went off early in the morning while I was still sleeping. It turned out to be a false alarm, but it was still annoying. Still, I think once they get it going for a while, it'll be fine.

Stayed January 2008