“Great first experience with Hyatt Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum

Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum
Ranked #79 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Miramar, Florida
“Great first experience with Hyatt Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

First visit and I'm sold.

Love the layout of the room.

The 42 inch plasma was awesome.

Look forward to trying other Hyatt Place's.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stay at this hotel for 2 nights. We checked in at the lobby and got our pass without any difficulty. However, there were neither eye contact nor greeting from the hotel staffs. They acted like nobodies were there except themselves. We could see they were having their own interaction. There were a guy and a lady working that day on 12/26 and 27. The unwelcoming feeling has last for 2 days. We had used hotel's computer at the lobby but have left a couple of papers there. We came and check with them within a couple of minutes but the staff said there were nothing left there. Believe it or not, we were sure the papers were there. There need more customer training.

• Liked — fast check in.
  • Disliked — Staff Attitude
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

The hotel was great - easy to find, clean, new, fair price. We were in Austin to attend graduation at the university. We had family that stayed at a hotel nearby and they had nothing but problems. And their hotel was old. The Hyatt Place was great. We would definitely stay there again and would consider staying at a Hyatt Place in another city.

• Liked — New, clean, good price.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sparkleecats
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

For the most part I enjoyed the Hyatt Place. It was clean and comfortable. The room was spacious though the bathroom is small and dark. Free internet access and being near the Whole Foods were a big plus.
My problems were minor: you can hear the noise from a nearby restaurant/club if you are at the back of the hotel but running the a/c solved that problem.
Breakfast is not great and was not always out on time, but for free it was fine.
The pool was nice and the gym adequate, though no weights of any sort.

• Liked — Nice room, free internet, easy highway access
  • Disliked — Dark cramped bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

In town for business, I stayed 5 nights at this property. This was my second stay at a Hyatt Place and I love their concept. The hotel is in NW Austin and very close to my company. You can walk to Dave & Busters, Baby A's Mexican Rest (Excellent) and a movie theatre. I really like this part of Austin, the mall is down the street. Check-in went smoothly and the staff was nice. The room was great, big tv, comfy bed, free wireless. The contiental breakfast was ok, a hot breakfast cost extra. They have a nice fitness center open 24-7 and the pool was ok but no hottub. They have beer and wine in the lobby so that was nice. Place was clean and housekeeping was good. I will always stay here when in Austin for business!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

In theory, this is a great idea -- a self-serve hotel for a lower price. However, there are some serious problems with staffing and stocking. The decor is great, and if I were rating the hotel on decor alone I would give it 5 stars. Beautiful lobby, huge plasma screen tvs, decent-but-smallish pool. However, despite the remodel there are already signs of deterioration and the breakfast experience is a nightmare.

We stayed a Friday and Saturday night, for $119 plus tax per night. The room was very comfortable, if a bit tight. The sink faucet was tilted at a funny angle and was loose, and there was only a shower (no tub). But overall, the room was acceptable.

However, the "free continental breakfast" is inadequate on every front. On Saturday morning, we went downstairs to discover sour milk, only one toaster with 4 slots, chemically tasting fruit, and an inadequately stocked tea display. Another gentleman pointed out the problem with the milk and placed it at the bakery window, where it sat for the next 40 minutes while we ate. I pointed out the problem with the tea. I used the kiosk to order the breakfast burrito, and I can't recommend ordering any hot breakfast. My $7 burrito arrived at the window 25 minutes (!!!) later, and was announced with a bark, "Burrito!" It had a raw-tasting tortilla, lukewarm eggs, unmelted cheese and canned salsa. The "hashbrowns" that came with it were a lukewarm glop of herbed mashed potatoes that had been barely cooked on one side to maintain integrity. Come on, I could have microwaved this myself and it would have tasted better.

Fast forward to right now, Sunday morning: no caffeinated tea, no decaffeinated coffee, no spoons, no juice, almost no cereal (healthier choices gone, froot loops and frosted flakes left), no bagels, no cream cheese, no half&half, no glasses (just mugs). I walked behind the "bar" to grab a packet of tea. Instead of continuing to stock his breakfast area, the gallery host came out to shake his finger at me. I told him he had absolutely no tea and that I had pointed this out to him 24 hours earlier. I'm amazed that he was policing the tea bag "theft," rather than taking care of his customers. Also, they are the same tea bags that are theoretically available in the continental breakfast area. To his credit, as I am typing this, I just saw him go behind the bar and grab the entire tea display and move it to the continental breakfast area. So maybe I'll give them 2.5 stars instead of 2.

The 2 desk hostesses have been incredibly nice to us and to our children. They are helpful and polite, but apparently they are not allowed to leave the desk area? It seems to me that on busy mornings, there needs to be one more person in the breakfast area to keep up with the larger groups of people. And a little respect from the manager/kitchen dude wouldn't hurt.

The next time we come to Austin and want the low-price, self-serve experience, we'll go to the La Quinta on South MoPac at Southwest Parkway: bigger rooms, better breakfast, nicer staff. Decor isn't as nice, but the total experience is better.

• Liked — Decor. Desk hostesses.
  • Disliked — Poor service, terrible food, rude manager
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
KMorgan21, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, 3 September 2008
Please give us another chance! We are under new management and our hotel is anxious to make every traveler feel special. We love our guests!
Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis since it became a Hyatt Place. Other than the name Hyatt, it has nothing in common with Hyatt, especially the service. THE BAD: I just use the kiosk to check-in and hope that I have no need to interact with the hotel staff, because they are very close to useless. I estimate that the check-in procedure via the staff takes at least 10 minutes. The ‘Gallery Hosts’ have difficulties using a mouse and a computer. Another reviewer mentioned that they do not inform you if your bed preference on the reservation cannot be met. Very true. No one there has any experience in running a hotel. THE GOOD: Since it was recently converted, the rooms are in decent shape. The sofas are good and the mattress are comfortable. I even like the in-room coffee. However, the biggest perk is the 42” HDTV. It is in the center of the room on a swivel, so one can see it from the bed or the sofa. I am anxious for Marriott to rehab their rooms. Or, I suppose Hyatt could get their staff trained by Mariott.

• Stayed May 2008