“Clean modern hotel, a great value for Austin.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum

Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum
Ranked #88 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Sacramento
“Clean modern hotel, a great value for Austin.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

My family all stayed at the Hyatt Place for my brother's wedding last May. We got an amazing rate and found the hotel very comfortable and clean. The rooms are HUGE with a sectional and fridge. This was great, because we had a large group staying at the hotel and it was fun to be able to host folks back in our rooms.

The breakfast in the morning was good and offered a lot of variety. The location is a bit out of the way and you would need a car to get around. I didn't always feel the front desk staff was helpful. The morning staff was better than the evening. Those were the only downsides, but other than that I think this is a good option in Austin.

• Stayed May 2009
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

Hyatt Place was my family's second choice as Embassy Suites were all booked up. So to start off, this review maybe biased since it may be in comparison.

The hotel was having a promotion for discounted rooms enticing us to book it. The location is great if your main goals are to hit up anything around the Arboretum area. There are more than enough shops and restaurants in close proximity. But since Austin is still a pretty compact city, areas of interest such as Lake Travis, UT campus and the Capitol are not too far away.

It seems like the rooms were in transition. Some parts of the room looked outdated (ie bathroom) where as other parts of the room (ie living area) were modern and comfortable. The suites are very roomy and have plenty of space for seating and sleeping. Maybe they had to sacrifice some of the bathroom space to accomodate for such a larger suite. I am a petite person and the bathroom felt like a tight fit for me. The floor was quiet at times, but running children or loud conversations were easily heard from inside the room.

Parking is free as there is a decent size lot surrounding the hotel. There is also a free continental breakfast (fruit, cereal, bagels, etc). However, after eating that breakfast, I would definitely recommend paying $7-8 bucks and get the hot breakfast. The sliced fruit was horrible! There was a weird taste from the melons and cantaloupe as if it wasn't fresh. The bagels were rock solid. The only thing edible were the packaged cereal. Luckily it was free so you can't really complain about it.

All in all, Hyatt Place is not a bad hotel. For the price we paid and a short visit in the Arboretum area I would stay here again if Embassy Suites is not available.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Silicon Valley, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

I had high hopes for this property and it's true there things to like, such as the top-notch service. That said, the Embassy Suites just next door is a much better deal for a number of reasons. First, the rooms are larger and nicer; 2) It's quieter. The Hyatt Place sits right on top of a major highway apparently without double-paned windows. You hear cars passing by at all hours. (By comparison, you don't hear a peep at the ES); 3) Breakfast service stinks. It is bare bones continental (i.e. no pastries, instead think toast and plain bagels with cereal cups). Again for the same price next door, the ES excels with made-to-order fare that is included.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

I have been traveling to Austin for about 15 years for business and pleasure. For years I stayed at the same terrific hotel downtown, which was more convenient to the work I used to do. For the past three years, my business has taken me to the Arboretum area, which was the reason for my reluctant switch to a chain hotel in the Arboretum area. I begrudgingly concede that the Hyatt Place makes so much sense for the location and the type of business travel I now do. The few do-it-yourself elements such as self-check in, I actually like. I like the little, inexpensive cafe and bar with decent food that seems good for me. I like the young, friendly staff. I love the rooms. They're huge. I can keep my work sprawl from interfering with my sleeping area. Its also big enough that it isn't too weird if you have to meet with someone and work in your room. The fitness center is small, but just enough for a busy business trip. There is a world market next door where you can get specialty snacks and beverages to fill your room frig. Neither the pool nor the lobby are noteworthy, except that the Hyatt has these areas which are nice enough to be useful if you need to take a dip or meet someone in the lobby for a non-private meeting. I begrudingly admit that though I still prefer South Congress and downtown Austin for restaurants, Arboretum has lots of wonderful restaurants and shopping. I will still pine for the Stephen F., but the Hyatt Place has won me over for business travel to my Austin office.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank marcyro
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2009

Clean public areas, clean rooms, and nice location. Easy to access on and off Mopac. Rooms are nice size and the 42" flat screen tv is a plus! Lots of places nearby to eat, but I ate downtown, which only takes about 10 mins. to get to. I'd definately stay here again for convenience and value. Staff was very nice. Rooms however do not come with a phone book or any Austin area information. I felt very isolated since I didn't have my lap top with me. And the front desk didn't have a phone book to give me. Also, the frig. in the room was unpluged when I got there. I had to pull it out and plug it in. A minor detail.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
DeSoto, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

I had a handicapped accessible King room for 2 nights at this hotel. The room was huge and really nice. While the bathroom had grab rails, the toilet was a standard height and so getting up and down off it was more difficult than if it had been a higher toilet. There was a lovely seating area as you entered the room and it was able to be made out into a bed, which I did not need to use. The hotel provided a nice shower chair for use in the roll-in shower. All in all the room was good. The breakfast was less than standard. The food was OK, but the space available for people to move around was limited and you had to take your food a fair distance since there were only a couple of table and a bar with stools in the food area. On the 2nd morning, there were so many people trying to get breakfast that we just went to McDonald's instead.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

Typically stay downtown at the Radisson but we wanted a cheaper option in a different area of Austin. The hotel set-up is kind of trendy for this budget hotel. Everything was clean, breakfast was good, and in a nice safe area. If you are looking for a place to sleep while having a great time in Austin, this is a nice option in the Arboretum area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family