“Left us hanging on our way to the airport”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South
Ranked #67 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel committed to our airport shuttle 3 different times during our stay but then told me there was no driver available when I showed up at the front desk to checkout. We took a cab to the airport at our own expense. I was not treated like a valued HHonors member at all during this stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Andrew,

I truly apologize for your experience with the shuttle service. We do offer alternative transportation options at our expense in the event that we do not have a driver available. I have sent you a personal email so that we may correspond in regards to the rectification of this. We will discuss your experience with our front desk staff for additional training opportunities. You are truly a valued guest of Homewood Suites by Hilton and we look forward to your stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was immediately struck by how out of date the room was. The flat screen TVs were the only thing preventing me from thinking I'd gone back to the late nineties.

The carpet was threadbare in parts, with brown plastic edging that was falling apart, there was a dust haze at the edges, near the walls where the vacuum looks like it never reaches the wall.
Cheesy plastic protectors screwed onto every wall corner, inside the room and out. Old appliances from the late nineties. Brown and green color scheme.
The bed was the worst part, by the time that morning rolled around, I felt like I was unfresh, I didn't dare to check, but I would think that the mattress is probably really old and out of date. It probably has enough urea and skin flakes absorbed to make you *really* feel and smell like you need a shower by morning.
There's also very little near the hotel but business parks, nearest grocery and food is a few miles away and not in the greatest part of town (I'm sure that segway security patrol is not just for show)

I'm striking out with Austin, since previously trying the displeasing garden inn downtown, which is a shame, because Austin is such a great town. How is it that Columbus Ohio can have multiple great same-brand hotels, (just gave another 5 star review there) but they're all sub-par in Austin, (but cost the same).
I even looked into the Embassy suites, closer to downtown, but the reviews looked about the same as this and the garden inn. Overdue for renovation/overhaul and other issues.

If I'm back in Austin again soon, I will probably try another brand, because including the arboretum, this is my third strikeout on Hilton brands there (Embassy, Garden Inn and now Homewood).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NCLimey

Dear NCLimey,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I regret to hear that you have not found a satisfactory room with the Hilton family brand in Austin. I am only able to speak on behalf of my property, but I would like to let you know that we are expecting a renovation by the end of the year to include complete bathroom remodel and flooring. While we are in a business park area, we are also only 5 miles from the downtown area which allows our guests to be close to downtown without the downtown prices. I hope that you will consider a stay with us in a future trip to Austin.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel will not disappoint! I highly recommend for families with children. The rooms are clean and the bed and pillows are comfy! The hotel even has an energy saving program where you can recycle in your room and reuse towels and linens! The suites are spacious and comfortable! Breakfast is heavenly!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you Barbara for your review! It seems we have a new fan of the Homewood Suites by Hilton brand. We do offer many amenities and lots of space that make our hotels perfect for the travelling family. We look forward to seeing you on your future travels!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Nothing went right here. Only one person doing check in and I had to wait 15 minutes. Got to the room and inside the refrigerator was a dirty plate with food and a half eaten bag of popcorn--so i took that to the front desk to show them. Back in the room, the front desk called but the phone in the bedroom didn't work. Tried to get on the free internet, couldn't, called front desk and was told that even though i had checked in an hour earlier, they had not "checked (me) in in the system" so that I could use the internet service. That was rectified. Then when preparing for a shower, the bathtub was littered with mold/mildew. Went to front desk and saw on the wall that the name of the "Manager On Duty" only to learn that she was actually not there. Left a phone message for her and only got an email reply from her....four days later. So much for "on duty." Oh, yeah, the card access did not work on the external door nearest to my room.

Pathetic hotel, ill prepared staff, dirty room, unresponsive staff, no "manager (actually) on duty." This must be a franchise property. I cannot image Hilton corporate to allow such nonsense to exist at a property they actually own.

Room Tip: Book a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jimtexas

Dear JimTexas,

The Homewood Suites by Hilton brand does offer a Suite Assurance Guarantee. This guarantee was honored for your stay. I regret the experience was not outstanding, but we do our best to make it right when a stay is not a satisfactory one.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

very nice and clean hotel. very comfortable. though little intimidating to get to the property due to property being on a cross section of two highways. Bed was very comfortable. Plenty of common area. Breakfast was nice, though would recommend some veggie items beside fruits in breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you Kirit for your review. I hope that you are able to enjoy our hotel for a longer visit on your next trip to Austin. You will find that we are a best kept secret hiding out in a business park. We do have a brand standardized menu that we follow, but I am aware of some changes coming...so stay tuned. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Happy Travels,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

After a long day of missed connections I stumbled into the Homewood Suites at 1AM, ready to crash into bed and enjoy sweet, sweet sleep. However, upon finding my hallway I was surprised to detect the strong, stale odor of cigarette smoke, a smell that was even more intense in the room itself (which came complete with ashtrays and matches). This was ever so slightly problematic given my asthma, and the fact that I'd requested non-smoking for exactly that reason, and posthaste I called the front desk.

"Um...I'll have to call you back," the young night clerk said. "We're full up." Ten minutes later his boss called the room.

"We can't move you," he said. "But I'm going to come to the floor and open the windows, and spray some Febreze. I'm also going to bring a can of Febreze to your room." A can of Febreze!! Just the perfect thing for my asthma, why did I never think of that? Part of it of course is the fact that I never knew Febreze comes in cans, but whatever - what a great solution, spray some more stuff in the room!

I declined politely, however, since it wanted to be able to keep breathing, and instead woke up wheezing and got the hell out of there.

Room Tip: If you have asthma, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NoTurnsOnRed
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Noturnsonred,

I am terribly sorry that you were not able to have a review worthy stay at our hotel. We do still have one smoking floor at our hotel. I would be happy to review the details of your visit if you would like to contact me at the hotel or via email at elizabeth.jackson@hilton.com.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We needed a place to stay in Austin with a 2 year old so we wanted a suite with a door that closed between the sitting area and the bedroom. This fit the bill perfectly and was less expensive than many others and in a convenient location. The staff are excellent, helpful when we needed anything extra. We were not able to use the fitness room or pool so not sure of the quality of those. The breakfast was good for this level of hotel. The room was clean and decor was not worn. The lines are all white and washed for each guest -- something I really like! The sitting area has a kitchen that has most anything you would need for a longer stay. We only stayed one night, but that would be a bonus for someone staying longer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ALLPICK

Dear ALLPICK,

Thank you for your stay with us! I am glad you found the value in our rooms space and the amenities that we provide. We find that families such as yours are fans of the extra space and privacy that a suite can provide. In fact, our brand VP has written a children's book series on Lewis the Duck, our mascot. Be sure to look for a Homewood Suites on your next trip.

Happy Travels,