“Under renovation”

Ranked #51 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Stirling, New Jersey
“Under renovation”
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I'm glad I didn't pay too much for this hotel althought I still didn't feel like it was worth $95 a night. Usually Doubletree rooms go for over $100 so I thought this was a great deal. It turns out this hotel is under construction/renovations till about January (that's what the front desk lady said). There's no room service and the breakfast is like the continental breakfast at a LaQuinta Hotel or any 2 star hotel. We only stayed for 2 nights and the 1st night when we got back from dinner half of the hotel electricity was out for maybe 2-3 hours so the elevators didn't work (luckily our room had electricity; it sucked for those guest who was on the 6th floor & had to go up the stairs). Employees are very nice.

My husband and I normally love Doubletree's but we've noticed lately that the one's we've been staying at are ALL under some kind of construction. Were they all bit at the same time??? Anyway, if you don't care for look of the hotel, need to save money, and still want the famouse Doubletree chocolate chip cookies, then go ahead and stay at this hotel. Otherwise make sure you call the hotel first and confirm that they have all the amneties & services that's listed on the doubletree website.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The construction
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ghoddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sugar Land, TX
Reviewed 12 September 2007

I stay in hotels all over the country, and this may be the one that is the most disappointing. Doubletree Hotels are always my first choice. But this one, even though it is not the "top of the line" brand for them, had very poor service and even worse personnel working the evening I stayed.

It took an hour and twenty minutes to get a simple sandwich which I was told would take 15 minutes. I called four times, was lied to about the delivery of the meal, and no one ever apologized for any of it. Then the next morning, construction work began about 6am, and I hadn't been told about it. I would have opted to move to a different room the night before, had I known this would happen.

Much as I enjoy staying in Doubletree properties, I won't stay in this one again, no matter how frequently I go to Austin. Bad service is just bad service. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, either.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank WroldTraveler
Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2007

$120 a night was probably a little much for this hotel, below $100 would have felt better value. The most important thing was the room, and the bed, were clean and comfortable. We had a non-smoking room which stank of stale cigarettes, but we didn't bother to change rooms as we had a 25 minute wait to check in upon arrival so just wanted to unwind! The hallways and elevators don't have A/C so are roasting, but apart from that the hotel was comfortable (although in room A/C is very old and noisy, but nice and cold!) I would stay here again as the location is pretty convinient and safe.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank thehighplainsdrifter
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We stayed only one night and there was no mishap with our booking (2 beds , no smoking). Check-in was fast, people at front desk are courteous and efficient. Our kids like the hot cookies. Room is clean with fresh smell. Beds and pillows are comfortable as per my wife and daughters but a litlle bit soft to my liking. All toiletries in bathroom are Neutrogena's product which are a nice surprise. I like the hi-tech coffee machine in our room

Area surrounding hotel is safe and quiet during the night. Will definitely go back next time.

Hotel does offer dream deal with breakfast included at their Au Bon Pain restaurant (15$ for 2 adults and one child under 12). I would rather save the money and go to Denny's next door next time.

• Liked — near downtown Austin
  • Disliked — cemetery next door
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Duke_of_MTL
Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2007

This hotel was an excellent value for the price. At only $89/night, you get more than you pay for. The beds are very comfortable with a pillowtop, down comforter, 5 thick down pillows, and a decent comforter. The room was clean and the a/c worked great.

My only complaints would be that the halls and elevators were not air conditioned. The pool was small and a little green.

• Liked — The bed was excellent.
  • Disliked — There was no air conditioning in the halls.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank kidsrustx
rancho palos verdes, ca
Reviewed 9 August 2007

The pool at this hotel was quite dirty although they said the filter had been fixed. The water was cloudy and there were lots of leaves on the bottom.

There was hardly any hot water in the morning. The vending machines weren't working. Our toilet backed up but a plunger was promptly delivered.

While the in house Au Bon Pain was hit or miss on what was offered (no desserts in the evening for instance) there is a Denny's across the parking lot. The room was comfortable and clean and the air conditioning worked well. Parking was plentiful.

• Liked — room comfort, internet, parking
  • Disliked — dirty swimming pool, limited hot water
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelwolf8
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Several members of our company stayed here during the South By Southwest Music Festival. Austin is very busy at this time, so we didn't expect superb service, but our experience was terrible. Our reservation was incorrect when we arrived (despite printed email confirmations), they couldn't switch to the correct credit card, and at our check out we learned none of the problems were resolved (despite assurances they would be), so I had to put the rooms on my personal credit card! Messages left at the desk were not recieved, and in fact an envelope with a $600 festival badge was "lost". Taxi service was terrible (somewhat understandable since the city was so busy), and the hotel had zero pull with taxi services - we waited for 45 minutes to an hour on many occasions, causing missed business meetings. When asked to call a cab, on serveral occasions we returned to the desk after thirty minutes to find they had not yet done so. Overall, horrible customer service. If you do not have a car and will rely on taxis, do not stay here as it is too out of the way of downtown.

• Disliked — service and location
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business