The sign says Doubletree, but it doesn't feel like a Doubletree. I stayed here for two nights while in town for business. Unfortunately, there was a convention in town the same week, so most hotels were booked. Overall, rooms are big and clean, but it doesn't have the amenities I associate with Doubletree.
Location is sandwiched between the highway and a cemetary near the university. It isn't that far from downtown, but there are much nicer, more convenient hotels if that is where your business is. The first room I was given was on a low floor on the side closest to the highway. The minute I walked in I could hear, not only cars on the highway, but trucks shifting gears as they came down the off-ramp directly next to the window. The front desk was very quick when I requested a room farther from the highway. The second one overlooked the cemetary, which didn't bother me, but I see how it could bother others. The room itself was big and clean, but not set up for business travelers. There were only a couple of outlets in awkward to reach places (behind furniture) and the work desk was shoved in a corner facing a blank wall.
While the front desk provided a good recommendation the first night, remaining interactions were spotty. One morning. a colleague called to ask if they had room service, was told no and hung up on. Staff made no mention of the continential breakfast that was currently set up in the lobby since the restaurant was under construction. When I called to ask about a taxi to the airport, it took 2 calls of about 20 rings each for someone to answer. That person couldn't tell me how long it would take to get to the airport or how far in advance I would need to order one.
The hotel is under constructions, so improvements may be coming, but I'll prefer not to stay here on business again. Perhaps, I would if the stay is on my bill and I get a great rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area provides homelike warmth, less than a mile from downtown Austin. Our hotel is across the street from the University of Texas and the Frank Erwin Center. The most centrally located hotel in Austin, we're only four blocks from the Texas State Capitol and within easy reach of many Austin attractions, including Austin's famed 6th Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Austin - University Area Hotel Austin
- Doubletree Hotel Austin
- Doubletree University Area
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area Texas