“Not really a Doubletree”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area
Ranked #57 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 31 January 2008

The sign says Doubletree, but it doesn't feel like a Doubletree. I stayed here for two nights while in town for business. Unfortunately, there was a convention in town the same week, so most hotels were booked. Overall, rooms are big and clean, but it doesn't have the amenities I associate with Doubletree.

Location is sandwiched between the highway and a cemetary near the university. It isn't that far from downtown, but there are much nicer, more convenient hotels if that is where your business is. The first room I was given was on a low floor on the side closest to the highway. The minute I walked in I could hear, not only cars on the highway, but trucks shifting gears as they came down the off-ramp directly next to the window. The front desk was very quick when I requested a room farther from the highway. The second one overlooked the cemetary, which didn't bother me, but I see how it could bother others. The room itself was big and clean, but not set up for business travelers. There were only a couple of outlets in awkward to reach places (behind furniture) and the work desk was shoved in a corner facing a blank wall.

While the front desk provided a good recommendation the first night, remaining interactions were spotty. One morning. a colleague called to ask if they had room service, was told no and hung up on. Staff made no mention of the continential breakfast that was currently set up in the lobby since the restaurant was under construction. When I called to ask about a taxi to the airport, it took 2 calls of about 20 rings each for someone to answer. That person couldn't tell me how long it would take to get to the airport or how far in advance I would need to order one.

The hotel is under constructions, so improvements may be coming, but I'll prefer not to stay here on business again. Perhaps, I would if the stay is on my bill and I get a great rate.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 12 January 2008

I know that the people who live in Austin really like it, but I find that the food is barely edible (both the BBQ and the Mexican food are not good BBQ or good Mexican food, and that is almost the only things you can eat here), the weather is barely tolerable for much of the year, and the hotels are barely stayable, like this one. It's true that the place is undergoing renovation, but it is wedged between the interstate, a cemetery, and Denny's, it's hard to get to most places, and the rooms are low-end Holiday Inn rooms at $159/night. I did have a partial view of a dumpster through the filthiest window I have ever tried to look through. The free breakfast didn't have anything worth eating. I have yet to find a decent place to stay in this town.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank CaTraveler7777
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I'm glad I didn't pay too much for this hotel althought I still didn't feel like it was worth $95 a night. Usually Doubletree rooms go for over $100 so I thought this was a great deal. It turns out this hotel is under construction/renovations till about January (that's what the front desk lady said). There's no room service and the breakfast is like the continental breakfast at a LaQuinta Hotel or any 2 star hotel. We only stayed for 2 nights and the 1st night when we got back from dinner half of the hotel electricity was out for maybe 2-3 hours so the elevators didn't work (luckily our room had electricity; it sucked for those guest who was on the 6th floor & had to go up the stairs). Employees are very nice.

My husband and I normally love Doubletree's but we've noticed lately that the one's we've been staying at are ALL under some kind of construction. Were they all bit at the same time??? Anyway, if you don't care for look of the hotel, need to save money, and still want the famouse Doubletree chocolate chip cookies, then go ahead and stay at this hotel. Otherwise make sure you call the hotel first and confirm that they have all the amneties & services that's listed on the doubletree website.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ghoddy
Reviewed 12 September 2007

I stay in hotels all over the country, and this may be the one that is the most disappointing. Doubletree Hotels are always my first choice. But this one, even though it is not the "top of the line" brand for them, had very poor service and even worse personnel working the evening I stayed.

It took an hour and twenty minutes to get a simple sandwich which I was told would take 15 minutes. I called four times, was lied to about the delivery of the meal, and no one ever apologized for any of it. Then the next morning, construction work began about 6am, and I hadn't been told about it. I would have opted to move to a different room the night before, had I known this would happen.

Much as I enjoy staying in Doubletree properties, I won't stay in this one again, no matter how frequently I go to Austin. Bad service is just bad service. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, either.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank WroldTraveler
Reviewed 2 September 2007

$120 a night was probably a little much for this hotel, below $100 would have felt better value. The most important thing was the room, and the bed, were clean and comfortable. We had a non-smoking room which stank of stale cigarettes, but we didn't bother to change rooms as we had a 25 minute wait to check in upon arrival so just wanted to unwind! The hallways and elevators don't have A/C so are roasting, but apart from that the hotel was comfortable (although in room A/C is very old and noisy, but nice and cold!) I would stay here again as the location is pretty convinient and safe.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank thehighplainsdrifter
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We stayed only one night and there was no mishap with our booking (2 beds , no smoking). Check-in was fast, people at front desk are courteous and efficient. Our kids like the hot cookies. Room is clean with fresh smell. Beds and pillows are comfortable as per my wife and daughters but a litlle bit soft to my liking. All toiletries in bathroom are Neutrogena's product which are a nice surprise. I like the hi-tech coffee machine in our room

Area surrounding hotel is safe and quiet during the night. Will definitely go back next time.

Hotel does offer dream deal with breakfast included at their Au Bon Pain restaurant (15$ for 2 adults and one child under 12). I would rather save the money and go to Denny's next door next time.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Duke_of_MTL
Reviewed 10 August 2007

This hotel was an excellent value for the price. At only $89/night, you get more than you pay for. The beds are very comfortable with a pillowtop, down comforter, 5 thick down pillows, and a decent comforter. The room was clean and the a/c worked great.

My only complaints would be that the halls and elevators were not air conditioned. The pool was small and a little green.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family