“Avoid it at all Costs! Don't be fooled by the low rate”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area
Ranked #57 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 11 April 2008

This hotel has only two good things: Location and the chocolate cookie, the rest is CRAP. The room was old, dirty, smelly, the bedsheets had sugar remains, the blanket for an extra bed I requested was like it was made in 1980, dirty and broken and the worst of all: Attention!!!!, I left a pair of shoes and I called them about 6 times to arrange the delivery (International Long Distance), the last guy who took the phone hung me after 20 minutes of hold because he was too busy to take care of this matter, I still have not received my shoes, by the way

Stayed: March 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 6 April 2008

Stayed one night on a pleasure trip. Nothing about the place was horrible, but nothing was quite right either. Currently it's under renovation, so no onsite restaurant (there was a limited bar menu and breakfast) and no room service. Front desk staff was particularly poorly trained and uninformed (but not rude). They tried to charge a higher rate and were not able to produce the sign-in sheet when I checked in (which had the lower rate); I had to produce my original reservation. No one knew basic local information such as good restaurants nearby, why nearby streets were closed or alternate routes. A number of areas in the hotel needed cleaning (hallways, elevators) although the room seemed clean. Check back on this place in six months; perhaps they will have gotten their act together.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2008

A nice, clean, quiet, accomodation. No surprises. Comfy king-sized bed. Nice hotel lobby bar. Order the home-made potato chips. Small pool but very quiet and well-landscaped. I stayed only 1 night but would be happy to stay a few nights to party in Austin. Good location for that... inexpensive taxi rides to E. 6th Street and the Warehouse Districe.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2008

This was a nice hotel. It was under construction when we stayed so it wasn't perfect looking. It was on the other side of the highway from the university and downtown, but we had a nice view. Parking and internet access was free so that was a plus. As you can tell in the picture with the bed, it could use some paint touch-ups, but like I said they were under construction so maybe things are being improved.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2008

The sign says Doubletree, but it doesn't feel like a Doubletree. I stayed here for two nights while in town for business. Unfortunately, there was a convention in town the same week, so most hotels were booked. Overall, rooms are big and clean, but it doesn't have the amenities I associate with Doubletree.

Location is sandwiched between the highway and a cemetary near the university. It isn't that far from downtown, but there are much nicer, more convenient hotels if that is where your business is. The first room I was given was on a low floor on the side closest to the highway. The minute I walked in I could hear, not only cars on the highway, but trucks shifting gears as they came down the off-ramp directly next to the window. The front desk was very quick when I requested a room farther from the highway. The second one overlooked the cemetary, which didn't bother me, but I see how it could bother others. The room itself was big and clean, but not set up for business travelers. There were only a couple of outlets in awkward to reach places (behind furniture) and the work desk was shoved in a corner facing a blank wall.

While the front desk provided a good recommendation the first night, remaining interactions were spotty. One morning. a colleague called to ask if they had room service, was told no and hung up on. Staff made no mention of the continential breakfast that was currently set up in the lobby since the restaurant was under construction. When I called to ask about a taxi to the airport, it took 2 calls of about 20 rings each for someone to answer. That person couldn't tell me how long it would take to get to the airport or how far in advance I would need to order one.

The hotel is under constructions, so improvements may be coming, but I'll prefer not to stay here on business again. Perhaps, I would if the stay is on my bill and I get a great rate.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2008

I know that the people who live in Austin really like it, but I find that the food is barely edible (both the BBQ and the Mexican food are not good BBQ or good Mexican food, and that is almost the only things you can eat here), the weather is barely tolerable for much of the year, and the hotels are barely stayable, like this one. It's true that the place is undergoing renovation, but it is wedged between the interstate, a cemetery, and Denny's, it's hard to get to most places, and the rooms are low-end Holiday Inn rooms at $159/night. I did have a partial view of a dumpster through the filthiest window I have ever tried to look through. The free breakfast didn't have anything worth eating. I have yet to find a decent place to stay in this town.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank CaTraveler7777
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I'm glad I didn't pay too much for this hotel althought I still didn't feel like it was worth $95 a night. Usually Doubletree rooms go for over $100 so I thought this was a great deal. It turns out this hotel is under construction/renovations till about January (that's what the front desk lady said). There's no room service and the breakfast is like the continental breakfast at a LaQuinta Hotel or any 2 star hotel. We only stayed for 2 nights and the 1st night when we got back from dinner half of the hotel electricity was out for maybe 2-3 hours so the elevators didn't work (luckily our room had electricity; it sucked for those guest who was on the 6th floor & had to go up the stairs). Employees are very nice.

My husband and I normally love Doubletree's but we've noticed lately that the one's we've been staying at are ALL under some kind of construction. Were they all bit at the same time??? Anyway, if you don't care for look of the hotel, need to save money, and still want the famouse Doubletree chocolate chip cookies, then go ahead and stay at this hotel. Otherwise make sure you call the hotel first and confirm that they have all the amneties & services that's listed on the doubletree website.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple