DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area
Ranked #54 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Bargain Priced”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was in town for a wedding and stayed here for a night. The self parking outside is a pleasant surprise, as I am tired of mandatory valet where they get you for $30 a day.

Inside the hotel was clean, and the people at the front desk got us checked in quickly. The room was clean, and modern. It looked like it had been updated recently. The showers are somewhat weird for a hotel. They are square and have sliding doors. On the upside, they have great water pressure and the water gets nice and hot. I tried to make a cup of coffee, but my coffee maker just belched steam and did not end up working.

At one point I called the front desk and asked them to call me a cab. They declined and told me to download a cab calling app. I was a little stunned, as this was the first time I have not been called a cab by a hotel. I know I could call one, but I thought hotels usually had a go-to cab company. Plus at $240 per night if I want one phone call I feel like they should be accommodating.

This is a clean, modern hotel. If I am in Austin again and the price is right, I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Austin Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was dirty, no hot water for 2-4 days, the waiters over charged me in restaurant. Had to cut my visit short. Manager Bruce did help me find another hotel that had hot water. However they charged me full 8 days stay, then charged me for the actual stay without removing the hold they previously had. Then after that was cleared, they charged me again. Talking to them to have the second hold remove. This was without a doubt the most horrible experience ever, I really feel we should not have had to pay anything, much less have to pay 3 times for a stay, even thou they are fixing the problem it kept me from having access to MY money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

NolafanWimberly, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll consider staying with us again.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I want to preface this by saying the desk and maintenace staff was friendly, informative, and professional. We booked our hotel through the Hilton Honors program, and were informed by the hotel an hour before arrival that the hot water boiler was not working. However, they did not offer to find us alternative lodging at other Hilton properties in the area, which I thought was unusual. Typically Hilton is very accommodating, and we stay with them frequently (I am a Diamond Honors member). As it was late, and not wanting to search for hotel on our own, we decided to take a chance and hope that it would be repaired quickly by hotel owners. However, that did not happen. In 3 days we had 1 hot shower! I can even begin to understand the hot water issue, things happen. But I think it is too coincidental that our air conditioning failed on the second night of our stay and we had to move rooms at 1 AM. This reflects on the poor maintenance and needed updating of the hotel by the owners! The carpets, common areas, elevators, and lobby had a dated and overall worn out look. This is definitely more of a 2.5 star hotel. The fitness room was nice, never dared chance the food in the restaurant, but why would you in Austin, so many better choices. I just feel like I wasted my Hilton points on a sub standard property. And as a Hilton Honors member, I felt like I received no support in relocating. I was also not offered any discounts, points, or compensation in any way for our problematic stay. The multiple issues with the hotel reflect very poorly on the owners, Hilton, and the upper management staff. I would recommend looking elsewhere, there are so many nice properties in the Austin area, why chance it here?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Comments from our guests are very important to our staff. I wanted to personally apologize for your experience that you had while staying with us. I have forwarded this review to all the managers regarding all of the issues you mentioned. I would like you to come back so we can show you that we can make it right. If you have any further comments or questions please do not hesitate on contacting me via e-mail or by phone.

Allen, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2014

NO hot water for 2 days, the AC did not work properly, they offered no apology or discount. No just in my room either , it was for most people that I talked to, none had hot water. I did not see any plumbers there working to fix the problem , nor did I see any maintenance people working on the AC or water.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us on improving our service and quality.

I am hoping to get an opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay and do hope to hear from you soon. I am sorry for the experience you had and ask that you please either email or call me at my contact information below. Your opinions are important to us.

Kind Regards,

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I enjoyed my recent stay at the DoubleTree, especially considering the price. The staff is stellar. There had just been a big storm when we checked in, so we really got a chance to see these folks in emergency mode, and they handled it so professionally. All of the TVs were out, they were understaffed, the grounds had been damaged, and yet things ran completely smoothly, and they always had those fresh cookies at the ready! The front desk folks knew Austin in and out, which made our experience all that much better. We got so many fantastic insider recommendations! The maintenance crew worked tirelessly to get all of the electronics working again, and the groundskeepers had the outside replanted and looking sharp in two days. I just can't give enough kudos to the employees here.

Other than the staff, the hotel was just average. It was kept impeccably clean and everything looked new, but the decor was pretty basic. The beds were firm and comfortable, which is always my biggest concern as I have a back injury. The breakfast buffet was alright, your average hot bar with scrambled eggs, a waffle iron, and a couple of breakfast meats, but for only an additional $10 a room, it was definitely worth it. The location was pretty good, a quick drive into downtown, but a little too far to walk, and the view was nice. The price was definitely what drew me to this particular hotel, as it was significantly cheaper than many other options, but it is still in great condition.

Overall: It isn't glamorous or historic, but it is an updated, clean, and comfortable, solid mid-range option located very close to downtown. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The hotel was decorated nicely and clean. Although, the lighting is horrible. We removed the lamp shades to try to get better lighting. It helped somewhat. The elevators were very slow. The cleaning staff did not get around to cleaning our room. Not sure why and we didn't ask. The Denny's restaurant located next to the hotel is a big plus, in our opinion. Additionally, the employees were very pleasant. All in all, it was a good experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

San Antonio, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I did not enjoy my recent stay. The entire building, except for the room, was extremely hot. An elevator was not working. Parking was very limited, and parking spaces were very narrow. The worst part of it was the rude behavior exhibited by the front desk employees. They seemed to have little or no interest in being helpful or courteous.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business