“Great hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Austin North Central
Ranked #128 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Great hotel. Friendly staff, clean rooms, A/C that actually worked, great breakfast. Will stay there again

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mereandjd

Reviewed 10 July 2008

Our stay at this Holiday Inn Express in Austin was such a pleasant surprise. We booked our room directly through the website for about $116 (King, No Smoking) so we were expecting bare bones. The room and bathroom were very clean and we made use of the mini-fridge, but not the microwave. The bed and bedding were clean, crisp, and comfortable. I really appreciated having the lap blanket for relaxing mid day as well as the option of firm and soft pillows.

Unfortunately we were in town for a convention downtown and the traffic was quite heavy. Although, that is not a slight against the hotel in anyway.

Another reviewer mentioned that they sold their irons. They also have them just for use in the rooms. The catalog of their merchandise in the bathroom is more a deterrent for people walking off with their towels and appliances. It lists what you will be automatically charged, as they are assuming you enjoyed it so much you couldn't wait to order it. =P

The complimentary breakfast is one of the best I've seen with many hot and cold options including really decent coffee! Also, a nice touch was that you could come down in the evening and fix yourself a hot cup of tea or grab a piece of fruit. I liked it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express for two nights, I was in Austin for the Texas Democratic Convention. It's a good location, not far from downtown; however, I think next time I would rather stay downtown, so I can go out on the town without having to worry about driving unfamiliar streets back to the hotel.

I arrived around 11 in the morning and because they had been sold out the night before, they didn't have any rooms available so they kept my suitcase for me in their office until I was done with the convention for the day and returned in the evening to check in. I was a little concerned when I returned to pick up my bag and the door to their office behind the front desk was open. This is where my bag was, the next day and when I checked out it was closed, so I suppose it's closed most of the time. When I did finally check in that night, it was a very quick process and I was on my way to the room in no time. The front desk clerks that I encountered that day were very friendly.

The room was very clean and pretty big. The furniture was in very good condition and pretty contemporary so it seems either the hotel is new or recently updated. The beds were very comfortable, the pillows were so-so. I'll admit I am picky with pillows. They did have a choice of a soft or firm pillow, which is a nice touch, though they didn't have the pillow menu I've found at most other Holiday Inns. Though with those, if you want another pillow you have to call for one, which I've never ended up doing anyway. The bathroom was a nice size, careful with the sink as the water pressure is very strong. I loved the shampoo and conditioner they had. If you need an iron and a table they sell them according to a price card in the bathroom. They also sell blow dryers (though there was one in the bathroom) and towels, etc. I did find it odd that irons were for sale instead of having one for you to use while there, but it didn't make a difference to me because I didn't have anything that needed to be ironed, and I don't do much ironing anyway so if it's wrinkled it pretty much stays that way. Hey, it's going to get wrinkled anyway.

The hotel does have a small pool which you can do laps in, I didn't use it though, really didn't have the time. Also, they have a small fitness center with some weight and cardio machines, which I didn't expect. Breakfast is included, and they even have bacon, eggs, hot biscuits, and gravy. I was surprised to see hot items. They also had warm cinnamon rolls, cereal, English muffins, bread, and doughnuts. They had orange and apple juice and maybe another type of juice, and of course tea and coffee. I was impressed with the selection of breakfast items.

A USA Today was available at the front desk if you wanted one. I do like it when hotels leave them at your door in the morning, but at least it was available if you wanted it. The TV had all the basic cable channels available so there was definitely lots of choice there.

I used their quick checkout, they leave the bill under your door overnight and you leave your key in the room and leave. Quick and easy.

Overall, I enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is a nice place with great service and not far from downtown. I definitely recommend a stay here if downtown is out of the question as it was on this trip because of the prices due to the convention.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank JetsetTX
Reviewed 23 March 2008

Stayed here during the South-by-Southwest concert event when every other hotel was practically doubling their rates. Very professional staff, high quality beds, and a hot complimentary breakfast that included eggs, sausage, bacon, hot cinnamon roles in addition to the regular breakfast fare. What more could you ask for? Little extras that made you feel like you were staying at a 5 star hotel included complimentary cookies at the front desk, and elliptical trainers in the fitness center, free wireless internet, plus they provide a computer in lobby for guests without laptops. They also provide extra throws at the bottom of each bed. Nice touch. HBO plus extended cable TV in rooms. The lobby and the guestroom itself had an air of simple elegance. Nice view from the 18th floor bar & grill. Stayed here 3 nights, felt like I really found a gem just a few minutes from downtown Austin. I have traveled around the globe and it is rare to find a hotel of this quality at such a discounted rate compared to the competition.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank nakine
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Felt just like home! Spacious rooms (suites) with nice sized sofa, chair, large flat-screen television, mini-fridge and microwave! Nicely decorated with touches of home.
Located right off I-35, so traffic can be heard but not enough to disturb your night's rest ..... mostly thanks to the comfortable beds.
Great stay for the money!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank neatfreak08
Reviewed 12 November 2006

We stayed here for two nights during Austin City Limits. The hotel is only 10 or 15 minutes drive from downtown Austin and despite being located by I-35 it seemed quite quiet. The room was a good size, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you can't find anything downtown then this is a perfectly good alternative.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Five-Oh-States
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 18 April 2006

When travelling in the US, I frequently stay in Holiday Inn Express. I find them uniformly good with occasional nice personal touches and the one in Austin is no exception. Not really suitable if you want to sample the downtown nightlife as it's a little way ut of town - and a little noisy next to the highway - but the place is clean, comfortable and welcoming (the free cookies on reception help!). The swimming pool is a bit of a non-event, but there are some decent driveable restaurants nearby - the (San Francisco?) steakhouse with the girl on the swing is pretty bizarre but reasonably priced and very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business