“roaches”

Ranked #156 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Liberal, Kansas
“roaches”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Not only were there roaches here, the service was horrible. We got treated like crap. They refused a refund when we couldn't even sleep in the room. The staff told us in order to change rooms we had to pay more money. Anyone who knows anything about roaches knows they aren't just in one room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank OneUpsetGuest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We only needed a place to stay for one night so we found the cheapest hotel we could find. To say "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more true than this place. Situated directly under the highway underpass, there were plenty of other hotels nearby so this area is obviously a frequently used spot. The hotel room itself was dirty. The chair in the room was stained and sticky, the counters had some sort of gooey film on them, the tiles and grout in the bathroom were moldy, and we even killed a few spiders crawling through the sheets! We both took cold showers despite the fact that the cold water wasn't even turned on and the bed completely collapsed as soon as we got on it. When we went to check in, the clerk literally couldn't care less. It was almost as if I was an inconvenience, interrupting her as she watched a music video on the computer. At check out, there were two folks in front of me and two behind me. All of us received the exact same treatment: "Checking out? Okay, thank you. You're all set. Next!" It was an assembly line. No care taken to customer service or anything. Having just spent the past week on the road, staying at three other hotels in various cities, it could not have been more obvious that they didn't care. Never mind the fact that the other guests were pretty shady and noisy. I don't fully blame the hotel for their behavior and the roudiness didn't last all night like I expected it to. This was just not a well maintained business and I would definitely avoid it in the future. Next time, I'll pay a little extra to a better experience.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else if you can afford it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alec R

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Augusta, ME
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This motel room was clean and quiet and a good budget value for the area. However, its location, while quite convenient, is near the convergence of several major highways which make it rather tricky to get in and out of. The motel is walking distance to the #7 bus downtown ($2 day pass), if you want to save on high parking fees downtown. The staff is helpful with transit alternatives. Very good Mexican restaurant a short walk away.

Room Tip: A room away from Koenig Boulevard would be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

My friend and I booked for the festival last minute and did not want to pay the rates for the downtown hotels. I was a bit worried that this would be a sketchy motel but we had no trouble. It's certainly not fancy but we were only there to sleep. The beds were comfy and clean, everything worked, service was fine, there were no issues. The bus was easy to take and cheap! We went downtown and back with no issues, every day. Breakfast was what you'd expect. If you plan to spend a lot of time hanging at the hotel this may not be the place for you. If you just need a place to rest your weary head, this could do the trick.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The inn is located near the Greyhound bus station and Highland Mall and about a 10-15 minute drive from the UT campus. The rooms were quiet and relatively clean. The only downside was that the air conditioning took like 6 hours to cool down the room. This may just have been a faulty unit. Breakfast was standard.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I had a very negative experience at America's Best Value Hotel this weekend, and while the circumstances involving why were personal, I was baffled with a service I received from a front desk employee named Vanessa on Sunday.
She was bitter, rude, and to my understanding I did nothing but ask if anyone had checked out of the room I was staying. I was kind, and she answered my question as if I harassed her.
To make a long story short, I split the payment for the room with a friend, but gave her cash and she payed with a credit card, so technically the room was under her name. My friend and I got in an argument Saturday night, and she decided to hold my belongings hostage to retaliate. I had no access to the room that night when I attempted to pick up my things, and the front desk night employee was sympathetic and understanding, and I knew he was simply doing his job, because he tried to be as kind as possible when he informed me it would be illegal to let me inside the room.
However, when I returned Sunday morning, Vanessa was anything but. Not only did she deliver the information in a rude manner, as she rolled her eyes at me, but she proceeded to make a phone call right in front of me and discuss my personal situation with her tone sounding like she was making fun of me, and was completely annoyed she had to deal with me. She made it a point to inform me that the front desk employee from the previous night was, "not her manager" because I used the word "manager" when I asked if he had filled her in. To be frank, whether he was her manager or not was the least important detail in my life, I was worried about whether or not I'd be able to retrieve my things and the only support I received from Vanessa was telling me the room had not been checked out of.
Ultimately, I will never return to this place. Vanessa made a stressful situation even more stressful. The man who worked the night shift was astounding, and quick suggestion, hire more people like him, less people like her.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jchristine0604
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed for 5 night with colleagues when visiting Dell. Not sure why somoen booked this place for us, as it is way below the standard of hotels we normally stay in.

However, if you are on very tight budget it isn't a bad option. Rooms are very large with two Queen double beds. They come well equipped with two Queen beds, fridge, coffee apparatus, iron and ironing board. Staff were fine and gave us good recommendations for restaurants within walking distance. There are quite a few of these, so I don't understand some of the comment below. I really recommend "Texas Land & Cattle Steakhouse", which we like so much we went there for two nights.

Location isn't very appealing (next to several main roads) and the place looks awful form the outside. Breakfast looked unappealing, so I didn't try it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business