Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy.
Ranked #138 of 199 Hotels in Austin
West, Texas
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Checked in on Friday and checked out on Sunday...no room service during the stay (was told that would cost extra since we were not staying more than 8 days) Had to bring down my dirty towels if I wanted clean ones, the coffee pot in the room didn't work and I was told I had to bring that down for an exchange "if" I wanted a working one. Won't be staying for any ''extended stay" again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JacQueH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Was given a Smoking Room, booked a Non Smoking - "Nothing they could do and no other rooms available". I can't describe the stink and the bad experience. Would never go back and do not recommend. Awful service and delivery!

Room Tip: You might book something and get something else and then not have it resolved or moeny back so my ti...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sivarlandia W
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy., responded to this review, 13 November 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the miscommunication. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are working on fully explaining room accommodations when the reservation is completed. However, when a third party reservation is made they do not generally guarantee a smoking preference, it is based off of availability.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at arb@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
national tour
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Not sure why anyone would want to be associated with this name. This is then second time I have stayed at this chain and this had a similar result.
1) small spider in bed
2) hair balls on shower mat
3) complimentary breakfast = granola bars, pre packaged muffins, oatmeal and not so fresh fruit with complimentary fruit flies.
4) No fitness center or pool or anything like that
5) Less than assertive or knowledgable front desk staff.
6) Best part - location

Room Tip: Don't get a room here. Go to anyone of the three or four other extended stays within the same b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travelinglizard2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy., responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location; however, I am very sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations overall. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that your room was unclean and our staff did not provide you with helpful, friendly service. In response, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures so our standards are more in line with our company's. As well, I am coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at ARB@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Philly
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Priceline was offering a Great Price of $38 a night, (no-bidding, plus tax) so I grabbed it. I have no complaints. This hotel is VERY basic. I had never stayed at this chain before, but it seems about the level of a Days Inn (IMO). I had everything I needed and got a good nights sleep, so all that was fine.
I stayed on the top (4th) floor, and while the hallway was a little hotel musty smelling, my room was fine - I was even able to open my window. Everything was completely clean.
Take note, there are NO toiletries - not even a bar of hand soap!. Apparently you can ask at the desk, but I rummaged in my bag & I had enough stuff. Also the "breakfast" was just coffee and one or 2 packaged items. Really just coffee - plus. Not breakfast in my book. And only CoffeeMate for the coffee, not cream or milk, bleah
I only met one staff person, the desk clerk, no problems - but if you love warm and effusive staff - nope. I appreciate that the manager is checking these reviews and it seems like they want to improve. My suggestion, replace the carpet in the elevators, Now. And when all the work is done, hang some pictures on the walls across from the elevators.
There was a TA comment about the location, seems fine to me. Get off the highway, turn one way into a big mall, go the other way and the hotel is right there. Very convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Cherylad
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I chose the location due to the price & close to my office. I stayed from the last week of June until October, 2013. All was OK till the last month or so. I even sent in a couple of good reviews on the staff. Then suddenly all the staff turned over and the new ones were poorly trained, cleanliness fell way off, and bfast bar was empty for days. The final straw occurred when my reservation mysteriously disappeared. The manager was at the front desk and cking me in. She was unprofessional and unkempt looking. She had just turned the man before me away, but "miraculously" informed me she found me a room, but would not honor the rate I'd been quoted, even though I had reserved through December. I believe she just wanted more money and thought that my organization would just pay it. I informed her I was not being reimbursed for the rate, but she did not change her stance. She also told me she would be raising it even though I had confirmation on all my future weeks of reservations. It was late in the evening when I cked in that week and I had to accept it, but quickly found another place and canceled everything. No wonder the new staff are all rude and unknowledgeable, their manager is worse than any of them. The only good person left was a front desk clerk named Megan who was always gracious and helpful. I've never had any business fail to honor a reserved rate or exhibit such poor customer service. I'll never use the company again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank C M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy., responded to this review, 17 October 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay; however, I truly apologize for the issues experienced with your reservation during the last month or so. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I have spoken with our staff about this incident and am reviewing our check-in and reservation procedures. As well, I am coaching them on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please feel free to contact me directly, at ARB2@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My company uses this hotel chain for our business travel and this is not like other Extended Stay Americas that I have stayed at. I was here for 2 nights. Everything is unorganized and most of the staff seems to not know what they are doing. The room was clean but it was quite noisy. I called down to the front desk to ask a question and nobody answered for hours. When I went downstairs, I asked for an extra blanket and the guy at the desk said they were out to come back later. Also they ran out of coffee during breakfast. I understand that things happen, but it seemed like every time I had a question people were confused and/or lazy. I am going to request not to stay at this location when I travel to Austin from now on. I would like to note that Meagan (sp?), the girl who checked me in was very polite.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy., responded to this review, 15 October 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Your comments in regards to Megan's service are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that we failed to provide you with the best possible customer service overall. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be working on correcting this issue immediately to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly, at arb @extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I booked at the sister property on Gracy Farms Road for a July visit. When I tried to check in there, I was told that a baseball team was there the night previous and somehow "destroyed" some rooms - and apparently my room was one of those. I'm not sure I bought that excuse since I had a good rate from Hotwire and I think they were more concerned about maximizing revenue but...Seeing some of the reviews for that property, I guess I was OK with being moved to this hotel but it was an inconvenience that the girl at the front desk of the Gracy Farms property seemed unconcerned with.

At this hotel, I had to wait a considerable time while a woman in front of me badgered the clerk about something and then he had to take a phone call that dragged forever. When I finally was able to check in, he was pleasant and quick. The lobby looks like it's been freshly renovated but once you step into the elevator, you know that the new paint has not been extended beyond the lobby. The room was fairly tired and dated looking. The photos online make it appear to be much nicer than it really is, but the room was clean. As noted by other posters, there are pretty much no bath amenities other than soap. Make sure to bring your own shampoo and whatever else you may need.

Since this is an extended stay, housekeeping is only scheduled every three days. If you can manage not to junk up all your towels on the first day, it's not a bad value. I had no problems with wifi but my hubby did so our experience was mixed on that. We did not get up early enough to investigate breakfast but with the Arboretum and the Domain within 5 minutes, you have plenty of dining options.

The location right off MoPac is pretty convenient and our view actually had some trees. Overall, it was a good value for a few nights, especially at the good rate I was able to get.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces away from MoPac. There's a lot of noise from the freeway.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy., responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Your comments in regards to the cleanliness of your room are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that our housekeeping policy was not communicated to you at check-in. Please know, housekeeping is offered to guests staying longer than seven days; however, linens can be exchanged at any time at the front desk.

I am happy to announce we will be undergoing a renovation this year. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at arb@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions.