“Nice Rooms but No Hotel Amenities”

Courtyard Austin South
Ranked #64 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 March 2008

I would not recommend this hotel for a family with teenage or young children. For a relatively newly constructed hotel, we were disappointed in the overall cleanliness. While the staff was friendly and helpful, the upkeep of the hotel is lacking. The indoor pool area is the smallest we've seen (maximum pool capacity was posted as 7 people, and that would be very crowded). The water was too cold to swim in and the pool area and pool itself were very unclean. Additionally, the elevators were not vacuumed/clean. Our room was large, the beds were comfortable, and it was clean but showing some wear and tear. The biggest disappointment was the hotel location. There is a run-down Waffle House restaurant adjacent to the hotel and nothing else. The desk clerk gave us a list of nearby restaurants (all about a 10-15 minute drive away along IH 35). This hotel is only really suited for the business traveler who wants close access to the airport. The breakfast buffet ($9.95/person) was very well prepared and the dining area is very nice. Overall, a big disappointment for a Marriott Courtyard hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 March 2008

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel for business. I travel quite a bit for work and they have the quickest check-in ever! The desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The exercise room gets a bit cramped when there were more than a couple people, but I think it is managable. The room was clean and fairly quiet for facing the highway. My only complaint with the room is the extremely small sink and vanity area. The balcony that came with my room is a nice touch specially during good weather. Reliable wireless internet access makes this hotel a great place to stay specially when traveling for business. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2008

I wanted a place to get a couple nights peaceful rest prior to my run. For this I can not complain. The place was fairly quiet and the staff polite. I caught myself wishing I could grab a bite of oat meal before I went out for my run though. The bed was good and bath tub large (two can bathe together), but the room was very cramped. I felt like I was living in a submarine. With tax the nightly rate was around $103. 00. I was told this was a "good" rate. Historically, I have had more room at some Motel 6's. Sorry guys, all I can give you is an average rating. In the future I would use you again, but only in a pinch.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We had a foul up with our reservation at another Austin hotel, so we called the Marriott 800 number to check on availability in the Austin area. This was the world's most helpful woman! She quoted us terrific rates for three or four hotels. The Courtyard was the least expensive, so we made reservations there. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a very efficient and courteous desk clerk who answered every question and offered tons of helpful suggestions regarding our stay. Everything about the hotel was very nice except breakfast -- go to a restaurant and eat. It was overpriced and cold.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Handcole
Reviewed 17 November 2006

This White Lodging-managed property is getting long in the tooth. Rooms have not been renovated to the newest Courtyard standard, and while the bed is acceptable, the furnishings, tiny 20" TV, carpet and wall coverings all belong much more in 1996 than in 2006. White Lodging is usually very good about maintaining Marriott standards for renovation schedules, but this Courtyard is at least three years behind.

Effective, well, immediately, this Courtyard shouldn't be referred to as Austin South/Airport. A brand new Courtyard has just opened adjacent to the airport. I'll definitely give that one a try on my next Austin trip. No doubt this new Courtyard will reflect the current Courtyard standard architecture and finish level.

White Lodging's employees are as friendly as ever - no issues with service, cleanliness or hospitality at all. It's just, sadly, a Courtyard that's getting old.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank DenverBrian
Reviewed 12 September 2006

This was a typical Courtyard and have no complaints. The staff was nice and the location was fine; right off the higway and next to three or four other Marriott properties (they own the block). The drive north to downtown would take a solid 5 minutes non-peak time (I was there over the weekend). There were several restaurants on the other side of the highway. I would stay here again for the right price.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LIVEINHOuSTON
Reviewed 8 November 2005

I recently stayed at this facility and had mixed feelings. I was ALWAYS greeted with a warm, cheerful smile from the desk staff. They were awesome. The pool, spa and workout rooms were great. The restaurant for breakfast was good and reasonably priced.

The rooms, however, well...they were lacking. They were VERY, VERY plain. Clean, but very boring. I felt like I was in a budget hotel. The one redeeming value was the FREE Wi-Fi internet access. That was a nice touch.

The biggest complaint I had was the food. The room service they offer is from a restaurant near by which served food of sub-standard quality. However, there are a few restaurants nearby that are good. Next to the Marriott there is a Vietnamese restaurant that is exceptional and reasonably priced. I also recommend the Texas Land and Cattle Restaurant on the other side of the road. Best steak I have had in some time.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business