“Come for the location, stay for the staff”

Courtyard Austin Northwest/Arboretum
Ranked #92 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Please read my profile for my biases.

We were in Austin for a business meeting, as since I didn't want to show up late due to any traffic issues, we were happy to find this hotel near the office.

I was expecting some issues with check-in since my business partner made the room reservations but was arriving on a later flight, but Meghan and Adrianne made sure that everything went smoothly (plus I got credit for the stay in my Rewards account).

The hotel itself was what I've come to expect from Marriott. This Courtyard is a little older so it features what I've come to think of as the "mustard and ketchup" color scheme of red and yellow, but the rooms were clean and comfortable. There was plenty of hot water and the Internet speed was fine.

There were only two issues. I noticed a couple of ants (i.e. exactly two) in the shower area of the bathroom both mornings I was there. They were easy to dispatch and I would rather deal with them than have the staff spray anything, so I didn't mention it to management.

The other issue was that for one of the nights I was there, the pool was closed with a somewhat scary sign from the local department of health. I wasn't planning on using the pool, but since it was across from the elevator you couldn't miss it.

When I checked out, I was helped by Courtney (she doesn't usually work this particular location, however). I mentioned the ants since I didn't think all guests would be as understanding as I was, and she apologized profusely even while I stressed it was no big deal. She insisted on giving me some extra Rewards points, so I then joked, well, what about the pool?

While it was only a joke (the pool had been serviced and they had to wait a day for the chemicals to circulate - hence the sign) she rewarded me a few more points. She was the first person I gave one of my "Tripadvisor" pins to for excellent service.

So while the hotel itself is a solid four, the staff are definitely fives.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Aaron K, General Manager at Courtyard Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Sortova,

Thank you for your very thorough and candid feedback! We genuinely appreciate your decision to stay with us in Austin and for allowing us a chance to improve. Our hotel has a great group of staff that prides themselves on delivering exceptional service that will love to hear your comments. In the meantime, we will let our maintenance department know about your pest sightings to ensure that any issues are addressed. In addition, our pool maintenance was completed the day after the signage was posted and is back up and running again. Thank you for everything and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is a clean, recently updated Courtyard by Marriott. It is what it is, a basic, business traveler focused hotel, which it meets perfectly. Friendly, helpful staff, clean room, minimal exercise room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Ethan,

Thank you for your feedback and choosing Courtyard for your travel needs. We appreciate the great information that you have provided and we will use your comments about things like our exercise room to make strong guest decisions for the future. Thank you again, Ethan.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Came to attend the Critical Care Transport Medicine Conference. Location was great for local shopping and dining. Hotel staff was great, we arrived late driving from an arriving flight in Houston, staff checked us in quick and gave directions to a restaurant called North by Northwest which was open late and food was fantastic. Hotel was quite which made studying easier at night and was easy to get to Capitol area even in rush hour traffic. Came with my wife made a business vacay..... Drove from Houston because prices for flight and rental car were much cheaper than flying direct to Austin.....

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

From one fellow Houstonian to another, let me say thank you for choosing to make the drive up here and stay with us. Our staff is always excited to hear that we were able to deliver on our promise to exceed your expectations at every turn. Whenever you decide to make the drive up again, let us know, as we'd love to have you again!

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Such a great hotel. Location is fantastic for getting around, right on the corner of 183 and Mopac. If you wanna get crazy on 6th street or explore nature getting around from this hotel is easy.
There's also a Dave and busters just a short walk away. And great places to eat and shop right around the corner (under 3 min drive).

The lobby is modern and convenient with a small shop and a full breakfast bistro with Starbucks coffee. Best part is that it's offered till 10am. Most places I've gone stop at 8.

We had the smallest room with a balcony but 425 sqr feet is barely "small". Good tv with lots of sports and movie channels.
King mattress was so comfy. Paired with the not too thick comforter we both had no issues falling asleep.
Standard bathroom. Complimentary hair drier (made the wife happy).
Good wifi for a hotel.

Good sized pool and hot tub. Hidden gem of the hotel is a deck out side the pool. Not a great view but a nice place to just chill.

What made the stay great was the staff. All of the staff were very friendly and seemed to anticipate our needs. Natalee was the one we had the most interactions with. She was very kind and helpful with recommending places to see while we were in town.

All in all this hotel is a hidden gem. So glad we didn't waste our money staying downtown. We used the extra cash to über around and have an even better time.

Will def be back!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this great and thorough review from your stay with us in Austin. We pride ourselves on the welcome that we provide and on staff members like Natalee that take that extra step to make you feel at home. We hope that we can welcome you again soon and that you get a little more time to über around Austin. Thank you!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for a weekend get away and it was a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and helpful, our room was beautiful and had a great view of downtown Austin. The hotel is right next to the major roadways so it makes it easy to get anywhere you want to go-there is also a Dave and busters next door in case you don't feel like driving anywhere. They have a lovely bistro so in the mornings you can get in some coffee and delicious breakfast before exploring the city. We will definitely be coming back!!

• Stayed: August 2014

Nicole,

Thank you for your kind words and for staying with us in the Arboretum-area. Our staff genuinely appreciates all feedback, especially when we can deliver the service that we pride ourselves on. Thank you again, Nicole, and we'll see you soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I am warning everyone of my experience with this Courtyard by Marriott Austin! I was traveling for business when I recieved an email that my reservation had been moved due to a flooding/plumbing issue at this Marriott. My coworkers who had made the same reservations did not recieve this email. When they arrived they were told that they were actually just oversold and that they regularly lie to customers when they over book! This incident caused me $80 in cab fairs and a lack of sleep. When I arrived at the hotel they moved me to, my room was not ready until after midnight. I had to pay cab fares to get to my work destination as my coworkers who had the car were still at the Marriott! Beware, you may not have a room when you arrive even if you make a reservation 3 months in advance! They may suddenly have a "plumbing issue". I will never trust Marriott after this!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel
Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer C
Aaron K, General Manager at Courtyard Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your recent candid feedback regarding your business trip to Austin. I would like to sincerely apologize for the difficulties that you experienced upon attempting to check-in and with the miscommunication from the hotel. The fact that you were relocated and that there is some discrepancy in what was translated is completely unacceptable. As a frequent traveler myself, both business and leisure, I understand the frustration that comes with an experience such as yours and have even ended up displaced on my own anniversary to a vacation property. What I would ask, if possible, is if you can contact me directly at the hotel so that I can get more information and investigate this thoroughly to take appropriate actions. Thank you again for your information and I genuinely appreciate any future feedback that you can provide so that we can ensure that every stay is completely satisfactory.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I actually got a deal from groupon for a two night stay. Upon arriving Linda greeted me with a smiling face. She helped me with directions, restaurants, and of course the hotel accommodations. Linda even began to greet me by name- wow talk about excellent customer service!I love my stay, the location, and the amazing staff.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us! We are all very excited that we exceeded your expectations and that Linda did such a wonderful job while you were with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!